Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My outrage at some members of the Private Sector..

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I never suggested it wasn't possible, and posting the TUI scale which you objected to so vehemently was acknowledging that fact. However it is silly to suggest that all teachers are making anywhere near 60k, and I would like to know how many teachers earn 60k are a percentage of the entire teaching population. However it seems more important to most here to insult the entire public sector and make dismissive claims of exorbitant wages than to analysis the situation properly.
    I never suggested all teachers earn 60 grand. I did say however that IMO 60 grand is TOO MUCH for ANY teacher to be paid, regardless of qualifications/length of service/ability. It's simply too much for that job with all those months off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭dogeyknees

My fiancee is a teacher and earns 45k, as do some of her recently qualified friends. 45k for a graduate is insane, im 10 years with a Cert, Diploma, Degree & Masters (all self financed), work circa 50 hours a week in a highly stressful job and i earn a fair bit less than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Is this thread going anywhere other than round in circles? As far as I can see at this stage, we have about a half dozen threads on which the same people are arguing the same things.

This is not a thread about teachers - it's supposed to be about the private sector.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭S.L.F

murphaph wrote: »
    Dunno. What %age are skilled, non-administrative roles, seeing as you brought this element of the argument into this?

I have no idea but you said "loads" so I assumed you might know.
    murphaph wrote: »
    What has the difference in pay increase as a %age of the public sector worker's new pay got to do with it?

It proves than the increases are getting smaller whereas if you do a similiar one for the private sector you'll find they are getting bigger for them.

Since you have a raise of 71% for the Private sector and 66% for the Public sector over the course of a ten year period then they have to pass each other out

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The private sector was making gains from 1999 to 2003 but once benchmarking kicked in, the public sector started to pull away again. The graph shows that if benchmarking was to continue as is, the gap would continue to widen indefinitely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

Liam79 wrote: »
    But John Doe reads Kevin Myers, Listens to George Hook and thinks they are all the same when they patently are not!

I think you'll find the majority of people would love to see each PS worker judged on their own merits. Its the Unions that force everyone to view the entire PS as a whole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Qs wrote: »
    I think you'll find the majority of people would love to see each PS worker judged on their own merits. Its the Unions that force everyone to view the entire PS as a whole.

I worked for a multinational in Ireland a few years ago and not just once, but TWICE every year, you had to go in a fight for your end of year pay increase by way of a mid year and an end of year review. This was just your yearly increase of 3-5% to keep you up with inflation and if you showed up on the absenteeism radar at all, as in if you had more than 3-4 days sick for the year, then it wasn't good enough and you were getting 0% pay increase at the end of the year along with getting put on a performance improvement plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Is this thread going anywhere other than round in circles? As far as I can see at this stage, we have about a half dozen threads on which the same people are arguing the same things.

This is not a thread about teachers - it's supposed to be about the private sector.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

Scoff as the OP on this thread, I would agree with your assertion that it might be wise to close it down.
    Its going nowhere.
    To be completely honest it was more or less a tongue in cheek thread aimed at the equivilant "outrage at the public sector" thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Liam79 wrote: »
    Scoff as the OP on this thread, I would agree with your assertion that it might be wise to close it down.
    Its going nowhere.
    To be completely honest it was more or less a tongue in cheek thread aimed at the equivilant "outrage at the public sector" thread.

I know - it very briefly had an interesting future ahead of it, though, but now that's behind it.

Well, then...

moderately,
    Scofflaw

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement