Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John and Edward (Jedward)

Options
  • 19-11-2009 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Just watching the twins on X Factor, they get a bit of stick from people who understand what it means to have a good singing voice.

A lot of people have called them "tone deaf" whatever that means, and a lot of people say they dont sing in tune, and that they don't sing with a lot of quality.

If they are bad singers, exactly how bad are they ? Are there any musically trained people on this forum who can answer this ?
    To what degree could they improve with musical training ?

To my ears, they sound quite good, I was watching them on sky news, and they sung "Under Pressure". I thought they can definitely sing better than me, or better than the average person on the street. They could hold a note, it was far from unpleasant to my ears.

On the show they sing and dance at the same time, surely this is a really difficult thing to do, even for the most talented of people.

And please, only answer this question if you are qualified to do so, i.e. you have a good understanding of what is a good singing voice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Why is this in the music forum?

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Louisc

Wertz wrote: »
    Why is this in the music forum?

:pac:

Because there is no "Attempt at making music" forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Louisc wrote: »
    Because there is no "Attempt at making music" forum

Okay that's a fair point and I was having a dig. In regards to your question, I honestly couldn't say if they can sing or not as I've managed to avoid hearing them and hopefully will continue to do so.
    Whether someone has a good singing voice or not is as much a subjective issue as it is an issue of that voice conforming to some sort of rule...the variety of artists across all genres that enjoy success and support from fans when they don't have what is considered a "good" singing voice, would illustrate that the voice(s) alone does not affirm the ability of any voice artist.
    Tone deafness on the other hand undermines the ability of someone to voice in harmony with other voices, backing tracks or instruments and is glaringly obvious to any listener...no matter how good your voice is is irrelevant if you're not singing in tune...

Anyway I am not the qualified person you're looking for to give you a proper reply so I'll bow out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I've no doubt that there are millions of people in Ireland, in all walks of life, who can 'hold a note'.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Maybe move this to TV? No music to be heard here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,925 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Moved to 'Reality TV'

Advertisement