Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should the Ireland France game be replayed?

• 19-11-2009 1:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭

What is everyones views on this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

No.

France should offer to replay it and we should politely decline - these things happen, things get missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

No.

France should offer to replay it and we should politely decline - these things happen, things get missed.

Your dead right, couldn't have put it better myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

No.

Exactly, it sets too great a precedent and with that in mind we should take the higher ground

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

Yes.

Since some of the players and the coaching staff want a replay, then FIFA should at least consider it.

But it's not going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Impossible and would never happen, not worth even dreaming about.

The implications on matches that have gone the wrong way before would be catastrophic.

These things happen,s its horrible, we need to deal with it and look forward to the Euros with confidence we have a great chance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

In a perfect world were soccer is not all about the money and more about sport, then it would be replaid.
    But its not a perfect world and Michel(girlsname) platini would never allow his team to go out against a far superior Irish TEAM.

Bitter, who me, no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

It should be replayed.
    There is a precedent for this: http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/archive/germany2006/news/newsid=27212.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

It shouldn't be replayed. And to be honest, if we did somehow manage to match our performance of last night and qualified it would probably feel a bit hollow and we'd look like sore losers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

BigCon wrote: »
    It should be replayed.
    There is a precedent for this: http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/archive/germany2006/news/newsid=27212.html

That game is being brought up on forums all over the place, but there is a difference between a technical refereeing infringment and an incident being missed, of a replay goes ahead then whats to stop teams looking for a replay if an offside is missed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭token56

BigCon wrote: »
    It should be replayed.

I do think this is slightly different. There is a slight difference here in what was a technical decision in this situation, where as it could be argued that what happened last night was simply down to human error. I'm not trying to be pedantic but I do not think we could use it as a precedent.

Anyway in my opinion, no it shouldn't be replayed. It is what it is, I just want a lesson to be learned by Fifa, and something to be done to ensure this doesn't happen again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

No.

+ 1 Agree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Should of course be replayed. There is no place in the game for such cheating. if it was the other way around it would be replayed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

No it shouldnt. End of.

Deedsie wrote: »
    if it was the other way around it would be replayed.

I have to say, I would be more inclined to actually agree with this . FIFA would be bending over backwards to reverse the result if we had benefited from a decision like that . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Yes, 100% should be replayed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

God no, you're all hilarious. If Duff did it you wouldn't be calling for one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Don't even think France should offer tbh. We lost. These things happen. How many more games do you want replayed because of a handball/dive/did it cross the line...?

Hands up (pun blatantly intended) anyone who thinks the '86 quarter final between England and Argentina should have been replayed and that England deserved to win?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

No.

Not disagreeing with you, but didn't Arsenal once beat Sheffield United with a dodgy goal (something to do with not giving the ball back when Sheffield United put the ball out for an injured player) and offered to do a replay?

Yep, here it is:
    http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/ars-ne-wenger-offers-fa-cup-rematch
    Arsenal also won the replay.
    Now that would suck, getting a replay and then losing 3-0.

edit: As much as I wanted Ireland to make the world Cup, forcing a reply would be ridiculous. Every week there would be someone calling for a replay due to a dubious penalty, offside goal, ball not crossing the line etc. It would get out of hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Paleface

I think its a sad indictment for the game of soccer that people think this game should not be replayed purely because they are worried about how much of a precedent it would be.

So what if one of our players did the same thing. He would have been in the wrong also and would have to be punished.

You are all afraid of change!

Galvasean wrote: »
    Not disagreeing with you, but didn't Arsenal once beat Sheffield United with a dodgy goal (something to do with not giving the ball back when Sheffield United put the ball out for an injured player) and offered to do a replay?

Yep, here it is:
    http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/ars-ne-wenger-offers-fa-cup-rematch
    Arsenal also won the replay.
    Now that would suck, getting a replay and then losing 3-0.

Personally, if France offered us a replay I would have some sort of feeling of justice and would prefer we politely declined. .

It would show that footballers and FA's have respect for the interest in the game and want integrity and fairness. It would be fair play in the highest level.

• Advertisement

Paleface wrote: »
    I think its a sad indictment for the game of soccer that people think this game should not be replayed purely because they are worried about how much of a precedent it would be.

So what if one of our players did the same thing. He would have been wrong to do so also.

I'm afraid of watching a game where Arsene Wenger demands a replay because United got a dubious penalty. Then after the replay Sir Alex complains that Asenal's goal was offside so it is replayed again. Seriously, where would it end?

Seriously, where would it end?

Where is it headed as it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

No it shouldn't be replayed. It would set a ridiculous precedent and we'd have games been replayed every week.
    As galling as it is, we just have to accept it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

So what if one of our players did the same thing. He would have been in the wrong also and would have to be punished.

Change is not nessecarily good and, in this case would bring about chaos. There's alread too many fixtures in the average season. With most top players playing twice a week, when are thinking of rescheduleing these replays). And then there's the problem of holding up cup competitions because you can't find time to replay a match beofre the next round takes place.

Where is it headed as it is?

Goal line technology, TV ref, officials behind the goal...
    You name it. Any of these solutions makes much more sense than replaying games ad infinum.

Goal line technology, TV ref, officials behind the goal...
    You name it. Any of these solutions makes much more sense than replaying games ad infinum.

They have been stalling on this stuff for years!!

By the way I do agree that those are better solutions than replays but in our circumstance a replay is the best we can hope for right now.

They have been stalling on this stuff for years!!

Nice way of dodging the point. Do you honestly think replaying matches where dubious goals are scored is a better solution than having something like a TV ref?

Seriously, if people put half the effort into trying to reach an obtainable and implementable solution rather than a fantastical and impossible to implement one, something might get achieved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/8367913.stm
    Former France international David Ginola on BBC Radio 5 Live: "I'm very embarrassed by the situation. I don't feel very proud to be French this morning. The Irish played very well and they deserved to go through as much as France, maybe more. I'm very surprised Fifa haven't mentioned anything about it - the whole world saw the handball. This is a pure injustice. Everyone in France, the press and everyone, says there should be a replay."

By the way I do agree that those are better solutions than replays but in our circumstance a replay is the best we can hope for right now.

Didn't see your edit.
    As far as our circumstances are concerned, yes it is the only (albeit a very long shot) hope ireland have at getting to the 2010 orld Cup, but is our qualification worth completely messing up world football? Doubtful.

• Advertisement

everyone, says there should be a replay

Except half of boards.ie :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

johnp wrote: »
    No it shouldn't be replayed. It would set a ridiculous precedent and we'd have games been replayed every week.
    As galling as it is, we just have to accept it.

Exactly. If anything positive is to come of this I hope it leads to the introduction of video technology.

Didn't see your edit.
    As far as our circumstances are concerned, yes it is the only (albeit a very long shot) hope ireland have at getting to the 2010 orld Cup, but is our qualification worth completely messing up world football? Doubtful.

No worries about the edit :D

I go back to my point in saying that soccer is messed up as it is. Something controversial happens in almost every game that is later exposed by TV replays.

Its a shame that people don't want to correct this as they have all benefited from dubious decisions in the past. They focus on what they stand to lose more so that what they will gain.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Change is not nessecarily good and, in this case would bring about chaos. There's alread too many fixtures in the average season. With most top players playing twice a week, when are thinking of rescheduleing these replays). And then there's the problem of holding up cup competitions because you can't find time to replay a match beofre the next round takes place.

If your more worried about games not getting played than you are about justice within the game then you've missed the point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

I believe we are owed a replay by FIFA.After the way they changed the play-off draw and now by Henry cheating.Its the least that should be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

As said before , I think for sportsmanship France should offer , FAI should say no thanks ( before FIFA jump in and say you can't which is what they would say )

It horrible , but i have been there before myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

This wasn't any old game, and this wasn't any old case of cheating.

It was extra-time in a WC playoff. It was two blatant, indisputable handballs which led directly to a winning goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Arsneal V Sheffield United replayed an FA Cup replay due to Arsenal scoring after not giving the ball back to the opposition after an injury timeout! Arsenal offered to play a replay! So if the French offer a replay it should be allowed to take place.

FIFA have ruled out a replay

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/1119/fifa.html

They are basically saying that cause the ref didn't see it at the time there is nothing that can be done. We remain in the stone age!!

If your more worried about games not getting played than you are about justice within the game then you've missed the point!

Not at all - replaying a game because of one decision is just not workable. And what happens if the replay also has a dodgy decision? Or the reply of the replay?

I'm all for video replays to sort this out, but not replays. I like the American Football solution: you can challenge up to three times per match, no more. And if you challenge fails, you lose a time-out. In soccer,you could forfeit one of your three substitutions.

FIFA have ruled out a replay

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/1119/fifa.html

They are basically saying that cause the ref didn't see it at the time there is nothing that can be done. We remain in the stone age!!

That's always their approach. (Which I think is wrong: post-match action should always be an option, but that's a whole new issue.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,517 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

In the interest of the integrity of soccer as a sport there should be a replay. But by that token you need to remove Sepp Blatter from his position to get to that point, which isn't going to happen.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

I hope to god the FAI dont even mention a replay.
    Lets be the bigger people here, it happened, It was a terrible decision, but the game is over.
    I think we should just hold our heads high, everyone in football knows it wasnt right, but to go looking for a replay will make us a a footballing nation look a bit silly. IMO.

PS.

I am mightily pi**ed off over it, but think we should leave it be now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Yes it should.

If only to stop the notion that cheats prosper.

Video reffing please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

ziggy wrote: »

Did you see the given/anelka "foul"? A good call by the ref

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

The extra time should be replayed. Cheating should not be rewarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

If henry was so honest he would of told the ref about the handball before he ran around the stadium celebrating the 'goal'!
    Its a shame really! A player I really admired has gone down in my estimation.
    In years to come instead of remembering Henry the great player I'll just remember Henry the cheat!
    France and FIFA should acknowledge the injustice here, maybe offer a replay which the irish FA should decline.
    The important thing is steps must be taken to stop this happening again! Video technology or whatever....just stop making it so easy for cheats to win!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Penalty shootout on neutral ground with the players that were on the pitch at the end of the 120 mins.

I somehow think that if it had been a cheeky handball by Robbie Keane that had booked us our place in SA at the expense of the French, we'd already know the arrangements for the replay...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

fu*k the rules !
    fu*k FIFA !
    fu*k Tierry Henry !

email FIFA
    email FAI

Keep the pressure up , the next 24hrs is crucial .
    Plattini and his cronies are just waiting for this storm to pass before they come out with the 1 liners , dont let that happen .

At the end of the day lads we were CHEATED out of a fair crack at getting to South Africa ..thats the truth !
    No rules , Football Fed or player can deny us that.

Keep up the pressure .

M

Here something to keep the fire in your belly Just look at the SMUG Git !

• Advertisement
Advertisement