Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should the Ireland France game be replayed?

14567810»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Do people not realise that even if the goal hadn't stood then Ireland wouldn't have qualified?

Has that fact bypassed everyone?
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Des wrote: »
    Do people not realise that even if the goal hadn't stood then Ireland wouldn't have qualified?

Has that fact bypassed everyone?
    :rolleyes:

Must be great to be certain about things.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Must be great to be certain about things.:rolleyes:

What?

The goal meant that France took a 2-1 lead, if there was no goal, then it would have been 1-1, not a score that would have seen Ireland qualify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Des wrote: »
    What?

The goal meant that France took a 2-1 lead, if there was no goal, then it would have been 1-1, not a score that would have seen Ireland qualify.

Nor France..... So there would have been only 31 teams in SA. Oh for some system of seperating teams in these scenarios.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Who knows how the shoot out would have gone? Fairly even in terms of keepers, rest is down to mentality, and you could argue that the irish players wanted it more, and the french weren't really bothered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭Any Double !

Its just so sad for the kids out there, some of us have been lucky enough to see a few world cups and shout on the greens but as it stands a generation will have grown up soon without ever having that pleasure and excitement.
    Very sad ! frown.giffrown.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Did that protest march actually take place today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Live after Five on TodayFM should be a big bunch of laughs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Tellox wrote: »
    Did that protest march actually take place today?

Yes. An enormous crowd of 100 people were outside the French Embassy. Not sure what they hoped to achieve, or what it's got to do with the French Embassy. Time to let this one go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Yes. An enormous crowd of 100 people were outside the French Embassy. Not sure what they hoped to achieve, or what it's got to do with the French Embassy. Time to let this one go.
    I was there. Good to see at least some care about fairness and are concerned about the route the game is taking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Bandit12 wrote: »
    I was there. Good to see at least some care about fairness and are concerned about the route the game is taking.

That's fine, but what are the French Embassy going to do about it? Have it brought up at the next UN Summit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

So everyone, should the Ireland Georgia game be replayed for the penalty that was given that never was? Didn't hear anyone asking for a replay then! Get over it, these things happen. Football usually evens things out and it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

drkpower wrote: »
    Nor France..... So there would have been only 31 teams in SA. Oh for some system of seperating teams in these scenarios.....:rolleyes:

To be fair listening to the media over the last few days if one hadn't seen the match that is the impression I would have got.

Just spotted Richard Dunne pulling Burnley striker's shirt to stop him going through on goal for a clear goalscoring opportunity. Game finished 1-1.

What a cheat.
    Disgrace.
    We should boycott Dunne's product endorsements.
    Burnley should get a replay forthwith.
    Petition available online.
    Protest march to AVFC tomorrow.

I expect everyone's support to right this disgraceful injustice perpetrated by a vile paddy cheat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

Just spotted Richard Dunne pulling Burnley striker's shirt to stop him going through on goal for a clear goalscoring opportunity. Game finished 1-1.

What a cheat.
    Disgrace.

I expect everyone's support to right this disgraceful injustice perpetrated by a vile paddy cheat.
    video ref:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

What a cheat.
    Disgrace.

Oh dear. Were you watching MOTD solely to find an Irish player who commited a foul so you could make such a poor and flawed analogy?

As for the people championing Georgia all of a sudden, such retrospective claims of injustice do not negate the wrong committed against us on Wednesday. They merely go to show that the sport of football is rife with poor decisions. It's ridiculous to take the view that because injustices happen we ought to simply shrug our shoulders and not care about one that affected ourselves - especially one which proved so costly. We were wronged and we are entitled to be pissed off about it. Some of you should climb down off your high horses and stop being so patronising.

It would be far better to try and improve the sport of football by continuing to call for video technology to be introduced. To try and make a difference rather than score points.

By the way Henry said a replay would be fair. Wenger said so as well. Typical though of some in the Irish public to resort to the usual trait of self-loathing begrudgery to have a pop at our own players. To steal a Roy Keane line, it's boring. Boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

By the way Henry said a replay would be fair. Wenger said so as well. Typical though of some in the Irish public to resort to the usual trait of self-loathing begrudgery to have a pop at our own players. To steal a Roy Keane line, it's boring. Boring.

Was this not a few days after the game when FIFA made it clear that there would be no chance of a reply, Wow, Henry really put himself out on a limb there!

Yes video replay should be introduced but this whole talk of replay of the match is pathetic and embarrassing to Ireland as a whole. Suck it up and get on with for Christ sake, **** happens and it happens in football all the time. I really don't understand how people would expect to replay the game, total nonsense.

Instead of reflecting so much on Henry maybe people should reflect back on the campaign as a whole and the first leg of playoff and maybe if people really want to see where some of the blame falls, maybe our missed chances in second leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Was this not a few days after the game when FIFA made it clear that there would be no chance of a reply, Wow, Henry really put himself out on a limb there!

Yes video replay should be introduced but this whole talk of replay of the match is pathetic and embarrassing to Ireland as a whole. Suck it up and get on with for Christ sake, **** happens and it happens in football all the time. I really don't understand how people would expect to replay the game, total nonsense.

Instead of reflecting so much on Henry maybe people should reflect back on the campaign as a whole and the first leg of playoff and maybe if people really want to see where some of the blame falls, maybe our missed chances in second leg.

Well I'm not in favour of demanding a replay either. I do think it would have been honourable for the FFF to offer a rematch as at least then it would give FIFA a problem to deal with (though I suspect they would have rejected it anyway). As it stands the French authorities have made their mind up on it so I think the dignified thing to do from our end is to let the matter rest. They have decided they are happy with how events have turned out so I say leave them to it. At least we can hold our heads high.

However there is a minority element who are surprisingly keen to excuse the behaviour of Henry on this matter and who prefer to instead demonise Irish supporters who are still hurting over this. Why? Who are these people trying to impress? I find it quite snide and condescending. It is worth remembering there are plenty of French people who are embarrassed about the entire episode because they acknowledge an injustice has taken place. Irish people are quite entitled to feel upset about this. If some can't see that then they are just as blind as the linesman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Well I'm not in favour of demanding a replay either. I do think it would have been honourable for the FFF to offer a rematch as at least then it would give FIFA a problem to deal with (though I suspect they would have rejected it anyway). As it stands the French authorities have made their mind up on it so I think the dignified thing to do from our end is to let the matter rest. They have decided they are happy with how events have turned out so I say leave them to it. At least we can hold our heads high.

However there is a minority element who are surprisingly keen to excuse the behaviour of Henry on this matter and who prefer to instead demonise Irish supporters who are still hurting over this. Why? Who are these people trying to impress? I find it quite snide and condescending. It is worth remembering there are plenty of French people who are embarrassed about the entire episode because they acknowledge an injustice has taken place. Irish people are quite entitled to feel upset about this. If some can't see that then they are just as blind as the linesman.

FIFA lolz

blatter hasn't even spoken of the incident, without getting banned here I wont say no more about him..!

FIFA summed up their corrupt self with the match report.

FIFA were crapping themselves France wouldnt qualify so they seeded them.

It worked (just about and unfairly) but the deed is done as far as they are concerned and thats that .

I hope the next fall he has he doesn't recover so quickly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Yea, I agree with you. I think what Ireland need to do now is hold the heads up, suck it up, let the World Cup pass us by as painful as it might be and use this as an incentive and motivation for the next campaign.

I wouldn't excuse Henry, I am pissed off at him a bit but more at the officials. Lets be honest, a lot of players might of done it, it is all about winning sure no matter how unfortunately. I do think that on the other side of the coin, people are getting carried away with the hatred towards him, my friend called him a scumbag today, coming from the same guy that idolizes Roy Keane, made me laugh, not saying Keane is a scumbag but every player has their moments, good and bad.
    It is probably more that it is still fresh and will ease over time, there will always be resentment towards him and France but it is not a bad thing to have somewhat of a rivalry with France if we meet again.

• Advertisement

I do think that on the other side of the coin, people are getting carried away with the hatred towards him, my friend called him a scumbag today, coming from the same guy that idolizes Roy Keane, made me laugh, not saying Keane is a scumbag but every player has their moments, good and bad.
    It is probably more that it is still fresh and will ease over time, there will always be resentment towards him and France but it is not a bad thing to have somewhat of a rivalry with France if we meet again.

+1

The double standards been shown by people is really starting to bug me now to be honest.

He was still a great player and without doubt the greatest player to put on an Arsenal top and is still my favourite player of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

What a cheat.
    Disgrace.
    We should boycott Dunne's product endorsements.Burnley should get a replay forthwith.

Does Dunne have any product endorsements?

I don't understand the line you have taken on this, at all. I never wanted a replay (except in a drunken haze Wednesday night, and tbh, I also wanted to kill anything remotely French or with the name Henry.) It would be a disaster for the game.

But people are entitled to be upset and angry. As a result of this, they make demands that could be seen as irrational. But irrationality is the foundation of soccer, why should anyone care about 22 grown men running around on a field chasing a pig's baldder? Why should these same men earn a year's wage in week? There is no 'rational' explanation when a grown man cries tears of oy (or despair) based on whether or not Wayne Rooney's ingrown toenail deflects the ball into the net, and certainly none for the fact that the second most hated item in the world is a red Liverpool beach ball.

Basically, come off with your 'moralising and pontificating'. No there should not be a replay, but it's time FIFA acknowledged we suffered an injustice, and it's definately time you realise a lot of people are coming on to rant, rather than realistically demand a complete change in the running of football.

Oh dear. Were you watching MOTD solely to find an Irish player who commited a foul so you could make such a poor and flawed analogy?

As for the people championing Georgia all of a sudden, such retrospective claims of injustice do not negate the wrong committed against us on Wednesday. They merely go to show that the sport of football is rife with poor decisions. It's ridiculous to take the view that because injustices happen we ought to simply shrug our shoulders and not care about one that affected ourselves - especially one which proved so costly. We were wronged and we are entitled to be pissed off about it. Some of you should climb down off your high horses and stop being so patronising.

It would be far better to try and improve the sport of football by continuing to call for video technology to be introduced. To try and make a difference rather than score points.

Well if we replay the France game we'll have to replay the Georgia one. IF we had of lost that one or even drawn who's to say we would have had the momentum to even draw with the Bulgarians at home? Or the spirit to come back in Bari? You CANNOT replay the game, there would be too many ramifications from other games. This game should be used as the catalyst for video technology to be introduced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Yes, preferably in a neutral country.......... like Switzerland! :pac:

No; twas a mere coincidence. But you might explain why it is "a poor and flawed analogy?".
    Typical though of some in the Irish public to resort to the usual trait of self-loathing begrudgery to have a pop at our own players. .

Where are people engaging in self-loathing begrudgery? Those of us who think that calling for a replay is silly are simply doing so on the basis that the rules dont allow for one, and that those rules apply to everyone. Where is the self-loathing in that??!!

People who want a replay are engaging in self-pitying, which is a close cousin of self-loathing; that is the despicable thing. And it is embarrassing. Why is this incident and this match different to all other incidents of cheating, of injustice? Why do we deserve a remedy when noone else in similar circumstances has gottten one before? Explain that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

If the teams were reversed, or if England were put in Ireland's position, I can guarantee you that a replay would be organised straight away. It's sad the way Fifa treat the smaller nations like Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

If the teams were reversed, or if England were put in Ireland's position, I can guarantee you that a replay would be organised straight away. It's sad the way Fifa treat the smaller nations like Ireland.

What total bull****.

Stop playing the small country didnt we get ****ed over card.

In those circumstances NOBODY would get a replay.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

• Advertisement

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    What total bull****.

Stop playing the small country didnt we get ****ed over card.

In those circumstances NOBODY would get a replay.

If this happened to England in a world cup play-off, especially against the French, world war 3 would break out. Look at the villification of David Beckham after the 98 World Cup........ you can multiply that by 100 if Henry cheated against England like he did against us. Ireland it seems just has to roll over and take it!

dan719 wrote: »
    But people are entitled to be upset and angry. .

Of course they are; so is any victim of sporting injustice. And I applaud people who are putting it to good use by calling for the introduction of video technoogy. But calling for the retrospective introduction of a rule that does not now exist, just for us mind you, not to right the other wrongs that have undoubtedly occurred in football (week in-week out), is a self-pitying "poor me" attitude which I'd hoped this country had left behind years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

No; twas a mere coincidence. But you might explain why it is "a poor and flawed analogy?".

Where are people engaging in self-loathing begrudgery? Those of us who think that calling for a replay is silly are simply doing so on the basis that the rules dont allow for one, and that those rules apply to everyone. Where is the self-loathing in that??!!

People who want a replay are engaging in self-pitying, which is a close cousin of self-loathing; that is the despicable thing. And it is embarrassing. Why is this incident and this match different to all other incidents of cheating, of injustice? Why do we deserve a remedy when noone else in similar circumstances has gottten one before? Explain that

I don't have a problem with not having a replay as there was still time to score another goal.

I do have a problem with anyone saying rules in soccer don't need to change as they do. There needs to a video ref with this much money involved in games, mistakes can't be allowed to happen.

Be easier to take him seriously if he had a different name :P

If this happened to England in a world cup play-off, especially against the French, world war 3 would break out. Look at the villification of David Beckham after the 98 World Cup........ you can multiply that by 100 if Henry cheated against England like he did against us. Ireland it seems just has to roll over and take it!

So the reaction of the British tabloid media is your template for how we should react to this? Good man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

So the reaction of the British tabloid media is your template for how we should react to this? Good man.

I'd say he probably meant the English "supporters". He's right too, if that happened to Engerland there would have been war.

I'd say he probably meant the English "supporters". He's right too, if that happened to Engerland there would have been war.

But the decision still would not have been changed!

• Advertisement

Well the Irish are certainly making a deal out of it, listening to the media the last few days shows that and marches on the streets.

Just let it go.

SantryRed wrote: »
    But the decision still would not have been changed!

I know, I never said anythign about it changing a decision ;)

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Well the Irish are certainly making a deal out of it, listening to the media the last few days shows that and marches on the streets.

Just let it go.

Yup. Agree fully. It's getting to be a jokeshop at this stage.

Advertisement