Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should the Ireland France game be replayed?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Will this replay have video technology or extra officials at the goal line in order to avoid controversial incidents ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

If you replay this match then going forward all results that are not fair after video evidence should be replayed then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

It should be replayed and if the shoe was on the other foot, Ireland would be railroaded into a replay by both Fifa and UEFA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

OPENROAD wrote: »
    If you replay this match then going forward all results that are not fair after video evidence should be replayed then.

a.) Set a precedent ..replay the France Ireland game .

b.)Introduce Vid Tech , no need for anymore controversial decisions or replays .

Call it simplistic but that's how it is .

mixednuts wrote: »

b.)Introduce Vid Tech , no need for anymore controversial decisions or replays .

OK, so it something happens in the premiership this weekend play that match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

RasTa wrote: »
    God no, you're all hilarious. If Duff did it you wouldn't be calling for one.

No, but the French would have plenty to say. Make no bones about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Rant

If I see you post that once more you will be banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭rednik

No it should not be replayed but FIFA should send out a very strong signal with regards to cheating by announcing Henry will be banned for the duration of the world cup finals in South Africa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Paleface

Fair play to the FAI!!!!

The ball is firmly in FIFA's court now. I realise that they have already released a statement saying that the match would not be replayed but that was before the FAI's statement.

The FFF need to get involved also. By staying quiet they are not doing themselves any favours!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

chef wrote: »
    I hope to god the FAI dont even mention a replay.
    Lets be the bigger people here, it happened, It was a terrible decision, but the game is over.
    I think we should just hold our heads high, everyone in football knows it wasnt right, but to go looking for a replay will make us a a footballing nation look a bit silly. IMO.

PS.

I am mightily pi**ed off over it, but think we should leave it be now.

I agree with you but in saying that i would like France to at least offer us a replay. Then we say "Cool, when?" and beat them and go to SA :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Could we even produce such a performance again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Jesus lads, you lot are a sad bunch wanting it replayed. It won't be replayed, these things happen, I'm sure a lot of you are United fans. What about that time Rooney dived and United broke Arsenal's run? SHould that have been replayed too?

Mistakes happen, don't blame the ref, blame the Irish sides lack of finishing, they should have been out of sight before extra time even began. End of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭Rondolfus

This picture says it all. Yes of course the match should be replayed. Fifa are banging on about the rules now, saying its impossible to replay it. Well they had no problem changing the rules regarding the playoffs when it suited them.

Also you can guarantee, they would replay it had it been an Irish player that handled it to put France out. No doubt in my mind about that

Fact is they won't replay it. My support it behind the Italians now. I was reading on their football sites, that they want to get revenge for trap and knock the cheating French out if they get the chance!

RackMultipart.11835.0_feature.jpg?1258587119

SantryRed wrote: »
    Jesus lads, you lot are a sad bunch wanting it replayed. It won't be replayed, these things happen, I'm sure a lot of you are United fans. What about that time Rooney dived and United broke Arsenal's run? SHould that have been replayed too?

Mistakes happen, don't blame the ref, blame the Irish sides lack of finishing, they should have been out of sight before extra time even began. End of.

Your living in the past!!

Time for a change on all sorts of cheating within soccer is long overdue. I'm not confident that the match will be replayed but I am confident of the media building enough momentum so that it will force change within the game for the greater benefit of everyone.

Rondolfus wrote: »

Also you can guarantee, they would replay it had it been an Irish player that handled it to put France out. No doubt in my mind about that

Aw jesus christ are you serious? It wouldn't be replayed if it was the other way round! They wouldn't be able to, get over it lads, it's done, game over, robbed yes, but that's football!

• Advertisement

Yea blame ourselves for the French cheating, maybe we could have finished our chances if we used our hands too. :rolleyes:

With Fifa pushing their "fair play" policy blatant examples of cheating should be punished.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Honestly I agree 100% FIFA should now realise that far too much money is dependent on referees getting decisions right/wrong. This game should be replayed. And from here on in a 4th official a-la rugby would be used for goals/penalty decisions.

A replay would have taken 20 seconds last night.

Aw jesus christ are you serious? It wouldn't be replayed if it was the other way round! They wouldn't be able to, get over it lads, it's done, game over, robbed yes, but that's football!

Have you not seen how fifa behaved throughout the qualifiers???

Ill say it again, I GUARANTEE if the boot was on the other foot Platini would force a replay! No doubt in my mind at all

You cannot say that for certain cause it didn't happen to France. It happened to us. The minnow!

Your acceptance of cheating is astounding. Personally I'm sick of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Just watching Delaney's press conference - nice to finally see some backbone from him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

For the sake of football (not just Ireland) it should be replayed. If it was the other away around do you think the French would let it be?

Just watching Delaney's press conference - nice to finally see some backbone from him.

What happened again in the Georgia match?

Bandit12 wrote: »
    For the sake of football (not just Ireland) it should be replayed. If it was the other away around do you think the French would let it be?

Oh my god get over it! Jesus Christ, a mistake was made. Once again you should only blame the players for not finishing the game in ninety minutes. Your a Liverpool fan aren't you? I put my house on it you weren't calling for the Champions League Semi Final to be replayed when Garcia's goal was given when it didn't go over the line.

Oh my god get over it! Jesus Christ, a mistake was made. Once again you should only blame the players for not finishing the game in ninety minutes. Your a Liverpool fan aren't you? I put my house on it you weren't calling for the Champions League Semi Final to be replayed when Garcia's goal was given when it didn't go over the line.

The media reporting has gone completely OTT

FFS it is being brought up in the Dail apparently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

It would be a fine thing for it to be replayed even if they beat us fair and square but this is a pure sucker punch to the guys. France has a bad reputation in peno shootouts and had that goal been disallowed which it should have been then we could be booking plane tickets to SA today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

This game will never be replayed and thats a fact.

As an Irish person and a football fan I am immensely proud of the whole team last night but the fact remains,they couldnt score more than one goal despite the numerous chances they had.

I would be gutted to see this game replayed and find it a little embarrassing so many people are calling for a replay.

When did Irish people turn into a pack of whinging bitches?

We have always being dignified in defeat so whats changed?

We were by far the best team last night but that was one game.You win some you lose some.The circumstances are galling but thats football.It happens.

Take the defeat on the chin and hopefully when the Euro qualifiers start off last nights game will be their template to how they can and should play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Sorry I can't agree with you there.
    The United game was a league, multiple matches.
    Not a once off, Arsenal could've fixed it the next week or the week after.
    It didn't cost millions.

Diving is puke, but hand balling, and TWICE, that's not football. It certainly deserves a replay.

Time for change in this game, been calling for it too long.

Where's this thing on fifa.com where you can sign the complaint thing?

And BTW I'm a Newcastle United fan, not a Man Utd one.

Doocey wrote: »
    Sorry I can't agree with you there.
    The United game was a league, multiple matches.
    Not a once off, Arsenal could've fixed it the next week or the week after.
    It didn't cost millions.

Diving is puke, but hand balling, and TWICE, that's not football. It certainly deserves a replay.

Time for change in this game, been calling for it too long.

Where's this thing on fifa.com where you can sign the complaint thing?

And BTW I'm a Newcastle United fan, not a Man Utd one.

Well take my Liverpool Chelsea example so. Yes time for change in the game, and you're right, now is the time to implement it. But! Bring the new rule out now, and next time it happens it can be used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Well take my Liverpool Chelsea example so. Yes time for change in the game, and you're right, now is the time to implement it. But! Bring the new rule out now, and next time it happens it can be used.

Why not redress the injustice of last night too, though?

Found the petition.

Chelsea Liverpool? Luis Garcia? Not as significant if I'm honest.
    I know it was a big stage, Champions League game but this is international football, international football is where things need to be brought in and then it can filter down to the domestic leagues.
    Obviously I'm going to be biased but he hand balled it twice, it's unacceptable. We played them off the pitch, should've scored more, and you know what, shouldn't we have had a penalty in Croke Park too?
    I know France should've as well but it comes back to the fact that we need cameras in the game, like rugby, and start the disciplining now. With a replay.

Fairest solution.

• Advertisement

Doocey wrote: »

Chelsea Liverpool? Luis Garcia? Not as significant if I'm honest.

In your eyes maybe, but in others it would be just as significant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

The match should 100% be replayed.

France were denied a decent penalty shout early into extra time and Anelka drew the referee's attention to it!!

Shay Given knew he had contacted the French striker and should have told the referee about it.

The French are entitled to a replay and we should be considering banning shay given indefinately....

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Rondolfus wrote: »
    This picture says it all.

RackMultipart.11835.0_feature.jpg?1258587119

Jees !

The media reporting has gone completely OTT

FFS it is being brought up in the Dail apparently

Is 100 million Euros OTT ? I dont think so !

Thats what up for stake here , around 20 mil to the FAI Directly + whatever would have been spent in the Economy this summer.

In my mind no media reporting or sounds bites in the Dial will be enough .

There's a bias against small nations like Ireland no doubt.
    As much as I can't see the replay happening, we need to start somewhere with enforcing real discipline. We'll never get a better example.

nedtheshed wrote: »

We have always being dignified in defeat so whats changed?

We've never been cheated out of potential victory before. We have always been defeated legitimately to the best of my knowledge.

When did Irish people turn into a pack of whinging bitches?

Why do you think this is whinging? There is cold hard evidence that we were robbed. Whinging to me is complaining when you know you were beaten fairly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

cold hard evidence?

come on... it is one handball - equal to a foul, a push in the back, and kick in the shin... a foul... in this instance it lead to a goal. as with all free kicks that shouldnt have been etc. most recently fletcher gave away a free kick that seemed harsh and drogba scored to win 1-0 against man u. cold hard evidence is so exaggerated.

we werent robbed... had we scored 2 or 3 henry could have carried the ball into the net for all the difference it would have made. the ultimate truth is we didnt win our group and we lost a play-off.. france won it. good luck to them, end of... next chapter 2012 qualification, lets look forward to that, not back at last night...

Is 100 million Euros OTT ? .

How did you arrive at that figure?

ditpoker wrote: »
    cold hard evidence?

come on... it is one handball - equal to a foul, a push in the back, and kick in the shin... a foul... in this instance it lead to a goal. as with all free kicks that shouldnt have been etc. most recently fletcher gave away a free kick that seemed harsh and drogba scored to win 1-0 against man u. cold hard evidence is so exaggerated.

we werent robbed... had we scored 2 or 3 henry could have carried the ball into the net for all the difference it would have made. the ultimate truth is we didnt win our group and we lost a play-off.. france won it. good luck to them, end of... next chapter 2012 qualification, lets look forward to that, not back at last night...

Yet another person who thinks its ok to just continue along the path of "ah sure thats football" "ah shur I've seen them given" "ah shur he had his arm out to balance himself"

The game is broken and needs fixing. A change in mentality is needed from the top down.

I'm not even going to comment on your evidence remark. You mentioned foul numerous times but yet you don't want to see the foul given. "Ah shur .... "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

I think if they want to do the right thing FIFA have to replay the game!!! Its the right thing to do!!! Cheating like this brings the game down! Henry should be ashamed of himself, I know he has admitted it was a hand ball, but the lines men and the referee have the responsibility to enforce the rules of the game.
    The game should be replayed. its bad enough FIFA went and seeded the play offs at the last minute, but to let a handball goal put France through to the World Cup finals is just wrong!
    The whole world is on our side in this and if the French FA were even a half decent bunch of people and really do love the game, they will give us a replay. and if they still go through then they can take comfort in the fact that they got there fairly!
    If the shoe was on the other foot, France would have been granted a replay straigh away, because of Platini and his enourmous pull in FIFA!!!

I want a replay!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

I would be gutted to see this game replayed and find it a little embarrassing so many people are calling for a replay.

I agree, whatever about the FAI, why are the Taoiseach and Dermot Ahern looking for a replay? Embarassing.

I'm also not enjoying the arguments like 'is this what kids are supposed to see?' and 'for the integrity of the game'. It's so our team gets to the World Cup I'd wager, moreso than any of the more wholesome reasons being spouted!

This horrible blame culture, relinquishes need to take responsibility. Focusing on the hand ball and not the fact that we lost 1-0 at home will only reduce the chances of us qualifying the next time as we will feel hard done by by cheating rather than looking to see what else we could have done to go through. And so we'll continue to be happy to go into the first legs of these ties with the sole aim of keeping the tie alive rather than trying to kill it off
    Paleface wrote: »
    The game is broken and needs fixing.

But why fix it now? Just because it's happened to us?

Yet another person who thinks its ok to just continue along the path of "ah sure thats football" "ah shur I've seen them given" "ah shur he had his arm out to balance himself"

The game is broken and needs fixing. A change in mentality is needed from the top down.

I'm not even going to comment on your evidence remark. You mentioned foul numerous times but yet you don't want to see the foul given. "Ah shur .... "

Echoed.

But why fix it now? Just because it's happened to us?

Would you rather we wait until it happens to us again?

Its a pity we can't gauge accurately the French reaction to this if the shoe was on the other foot. I'm pretty confident they wouldn't be quiet on it anyway. I'd even go as far as saying Sarkozy would have come out with a comment in the press saying justice was not done etc!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

is it only play off games that should be replayed if the result is dictated by the ref making a mistake?

or all games?

Mr Alan wrote: »
    is it only play off games that should be replayed if the result is dictated by the ref making a mistake?

or all games?

Personally I don't think this game will ever be replayed even though its what I would like.

Therefore the bigger picture would not see an introduction of getting games replayed but rather the use of technology to prevent such situations arising in the first place.

The problem is that FIFA/UEFA have been stalling on this for years now. I see this incident as more of an instigation of mentality change than anything else. But if its going to be as difficult as it has been convincing people on this thread alone then I'm not too confident of the powers that be taking any notice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i agree with you that i hope it brings about the introduction of technology being used to help officials.

however, personally i think a replay would be a disaster for the game.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    i agree with you that i hope it brings about the introduction of technology being used to help officials.

however, personally i think a replay would be a disaster for the game.

+1

Would you rather we wait until it happens to us again?

Its a pity we can't gauge accurately the French reaction to this if the shoe was on the other foot. I'm pretty confident they wouldn't be quiet on it anyway. I'd even go as far as saying Sarkozy would have come out with a comment in the press saying justice was not done etc!!

Surely though it is not just about Ireland, they do need to introduce technology.

Your point about what if it was on the other foot, well what would our reaction have been? Would we be offering a replay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

think fifa shound replay but as some say and seems as as fifa made a a statement as what the ref decided will stand,rte just showed that over 80 percent of french public felt the irsh where wronged and maybe a replay,
    henery has was expected says was up too ref,so would say,it will stay as is

seems fifa are very slow too bring in video refing, we see in the future

Surely though it is not just about Ireland, they do need to introduce technology.

Your point about what if it was on the other foot, well what would our reaction have been? Would we be offering a replay.

No its not just about Ireland but we have the opportunity to make something of this and we should use it. Why wait for someone else to do it?

I can't predict how the FAI would behave just like I can't predict the French. However I feel that at least offering to replay it would be the correct thing to do in the interest of fairness. At least we wouldn't be branded cheats!

Has any comment come from the FFF yet??

• Advertisement
Advertisement