Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should the Ireland France game be replayed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

I think we should play the extra time only, we won 1-0 in 90mins or at least start from 1-1 in an entire new game with no away goals. Won't happen in a million years though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

We have little or no chance of getting a replay. And do we really want one? Would it be a slightly hollow victory for us if we won it, knowing we'd already been beaten? (even if it was unfairly). How we lost is an unsatifactory way to go out, but that would be an unsatisfactory way to qualify. We lost and that's that. Sport can be cruel and this time we're on the wrong side of it. C'est la vie.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    We have little or no chance of getting a replay. And do we really want one? Would it be a slightly hollow victory for us if we won it, knowing we'd already been beaten? (even if it was unfairly). How we lost is an unsatifactory way to go out, but that would be an unsatisfactory way to qualify. We lost and that's that. Sport can be cruel and this time we're on the wrong side of it. C'est la vie.

I'd call it justice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Paleface wrote: »
    You are all afraid of change!

im afraid of 100+ game seasons lasting 12 monthsa pop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

The extra official behind the goal line currently being trialled in the Europa League would have probably worked last night in the case of Henri's handball. If FIFA don't bring in video refs, the least they could do is to introduce this way of trying to stop these things happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Paleface

Helix wrote: »
    im afraid of 100+ game seasons lasting 12 monthsa pop

Well obviously that's not a viable solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Surely every club will start demanding replays going forward then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

just saw henrys interview where he siles and says its up to ref,admitted handball but so as he hinda put it,fifa are againist video ref ,and you can guess why

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

I would like to think that if the shoe was on the other foot FAI would have the decency to offer a replay. Why? because its the decent and right thing to do. If you want respect you have to show it! FIFA want respect and the French want respect??? then let them show respect for the Irish players and give them the opertunity to play a fair game.

Technology has to be introduced!!! FIFA have to get with the times. Its didnt ruin rugby, I think it has improved it. I think the use of the video ref and replays would only improve the game.

I'm sure its been mentioned but in my opinion, a video ref could actually speed up certain instances e.g last night, by the time the ref defused the situation and calmed down the players, the decision could've been made. It would also stop the gathering on the ref that everyone seems to dispise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Of course it should be replayed. Theres really is no point in participating in sport, at any level, if you can be blatantly cheated by your opponent allowing that opponent to walk away with the prize. Somewhere along the line, FIFA must realize that its not good enough to quote a rule book and openly admit that, even though Ireland suffered a complete injustice, because the rulebook says the referees word is final, that makes it all fine and dandy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

Theres a vote on a french website as to whether france desrve to be in the world cup

http://www.lemonde.fr/sport/

Click the second option starting with NON to say no.

Its the vote bit in the middle towards the bottom of the page.

Well obviously that's not a viable solution.

nor is replaying games because of poor refereeing, because theyre the exact same thing

you cant have the replays without the insane number of matches

Theres a vote on a french website as to whether france desrve to be in the world cup

http://www.lemonde.fr/sport/

Click the second option starting with NON to say no.

Its the vote bit in the middle towards the bottom of the page.

yeah, thatll show em
    :rolleyes:

do you not think that french polls in france would have more effect if it was just the french voting no? (which they seem to be doing in their droves). rather than having paddy "we love messing with polls and setting up petitions coz thats pretty much all we're arsed doing" irishman interfering as usual?

SarahBM wrote: »
    I would like to think that if the shoe was on the other foot FAI would have the decency to offer a replay. Why? because its the decent and right thing to do. If you want respect you have to show it! FIFA want respect and the French want respect??? then let them show respect for the Irish players and give them the opertunity to play a fair game.

Technology has to be introduced!!! FIFA have to get with the times. Its didnt ruin rugby, I think it has improved it. I think the use of the video ref and replays would only improve the game.

Would they though, honestly???
    and how would the Irish players have reacted??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

didnt bother to read through earlier posts to see if someone already said, but on some internet poll today in france where the voters were well into their thousands, 82 point something percent of french people think the match should be replayed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

They will be drawn in the same group in the Euro 2012 qualification

Sheepy99 wrote: »
    didnt bother to read through earlier posts to see if someone already said, but on some internet poll today in france where the voters were well into their thousands, 82 point something percent of french people think the match should be replayed.

Here's hoping Democracy can win over the Dictatorship that FIFA is becoming

JokerD wrote: »
    Here's hoping Democracy can win over the Dictatorship that FIFA is becoming

since when was fifa a democracy based on the opinion of joe public?

theyre not a fecking world government

christ almighty would people ever copy the fcuk on

• Advertisement

The Taoiseach is apparently going to raise the matter with the French president, this is starting to get out of hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Yes, it should.

I am tired of reading comments along the lines of "that's football", "these things happen", etc. If FIFA really want to clean up the game they would take a stand now and say that cheating will not be tolerated.

Of course, this will never happen. France are too big a team and FIFA got their wish of seeing them through to the finals so we are now being quoted the "rules" of football stating a referee's decision is final.

By next summer, all will be forgotten and Mr.Hansson will probably be refereeing a Spain v France final with messrs. Platini and Blatter congratulating each other on how financially successful this world cup has been and leaving South Africa with the problem of how to use their expensive new stadia post tournament.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    The Taoiseach is apparently going to raise the matter with the French president, this is starting to get out of hand.

theres only one word for it to be honest; embarrassing

im not patriotic at the best of times but its getting to the stage where im actually starting to be embarrassed of my nationality

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    cheating will not be tolerated.

it shouldnt be

but it shouldnt have been tolerated 48 hours ago, before all this. suddenly half the country is on the fair play bandwagon, demanding justice because something went against the irish team

people who support teams week in week out who gain points because of dodgy decisions and never get up on a soap box about it

im all for a campaign against cheating, and for proper officiating. i was all for it last week too

but this complete and utter NONSENSE about a replay needs to stop

I think FIFA have forgotten one very important thing in all this! THE FANS!!!! if the fans boycotted a world cup, how much money do you reckon FIFA would loose? I think FIFA are the ones who should cop on and get with times!

OPENROAD : "Would they though, honestly???
    and how would the Irish players have reacted?? "

why would they what??

I think FIFA have forgotten one very important thing in all this! THE FANS!!!! if the fans boycotted a world cup, how much money do you reckon FIFA would loose? I think FIFA are the ones who should cop on and get with times!

oh yeah

sure all the qualifying teams are gonna boycott the world cup coz a ref missed something in an irish match

for the love of god :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

OPENROAD : "Would they though, honestly???
    and how would the Irish players have reacted?? "

why would they what??

Would the FAI be offering the Frecnch a replay???

Would the Irish players have gone to the ref if the situation had been reversed.

My point is that FIFA need to introduce technology.

well I would like to think our players are more honest and have a bit more integrity than that. FIFA are the ones who keep banging on about fair play!
    well I do like to believe the best of people. its a personal fault of mine, like my permanently optimistic outlook on life! I felt like I was the only person on wednesday who thought and believed that Ireland could win! Every one was just hoping that we wouldnt get beat too badly! I wasnt far wrong was I? Ireland were the better side.

Im in total agreement with you about the technology! FIFA need to get with the times.

I think the Irish players deserve a replay.

I think the Irish players deserve a replay.

sure lets start handing out replays to all teams who put up a good fight but couldnt quite take their chances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

This is all a bit ridiculous.
    As many have said, football needs to sort itself out, bring in replay technology for certain incidents and rid itself more genrally of the cheating and intimidation of referees that is practically commonplace.

BUT, to do so mid-stream, mid qulaifying campaign is almost as bad as bringing in seeeding mid-stream as they already have.

We can be pissed off; but we neeed a level playing field. Change the system, surre, but do it at the beginning of a campaign rather than doing it just coz we suffered from an injustice on thisparticular occcasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

theres only one word for it to be honest; embarrassing

im not patriotic at the best of times but its getting to the stage where im actually starting to be embarrassed of my nationality

Wrong, I dislike Cowen as much as the rest of us but am 100% behind him in this one, Sarkozy is the same little wanker who pontificated to the Irish about the Lisbon treaty and they think it is ok to cheat their way to the World Cup. If the FAI don't get a replay then they should just boycott all future FIFA and UEFA tournaments and us gamers should boycott the likes of FIFA 10 etc.

• Advertisement

netwhizkid wrote: »
    Wrong, I dislike Cowen as much as the rest of us but am 100% behind him in this one, Sarkozy is the same little wanker who pontificated to the Irish about the Lisbon treaty and they think it is ok to cheat their way to the World Cup. If the FAI don't get a replay then they should just boycott all future FIFA and UEFA tournaments and us gamers should boycott the likes of FIFA 10 etc.

youre comparing the lisbon treaty to the fcuking world cup

seriously

sit down and have a little think about that comment will you

sarkozy has no say at all in what the fff do, or what fifa do

netwhizkid wrote: »

We are a tiny country on the edge of Europe, do you really think they will mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

sure lets start handing out replays to all teams who put up a good fight but couldnt quite take their chances
    Sure let's just keep ignoring cheating in the modern game. Ah sure we'll all look the other way.

suddenly half the country is on the fair play bandwagon, demanding justice because something went against the irish team

What makes you think that everyone was not on the fair play bandwagon before yesterday??

If something involving our national team doesn't spark a reaction from most people then what will? This matter is a lot closer to most peoples hearts than the result of their chosen club seeing as most people would support an English one first and foremost.

Bandit12 wrote: »
    Sure let's just keep ignoring cheating in the modern game. Ah sure we'll all look the other way.

thats not what im saying at all though, had you actually bothered to read my posts before wading in

If something involving our national team doesn't spark a reaction from most people then what will? .

The fact that we are facing our worst economic crisis in the history of the state.

What makes you think that everyone was not on the fair play bandwagon before yesterday??
    where were all the threads about it before yesterday?

some people were very anti cheating, but where are all these people after coming from in the last 24 hours?
    If something involving our national team doesn't spark a reaction from most people then what will? This matter is a lot closer to most peoples hearts than the result of their chosen club seeing as most people would support an English one first and foremost.

thats hypocritical though

youre either anti cheating or youre not. you cant say "ah it doesnt matter that much" in club football, then suddenly expect fifa to change the entire structure of the modern game over one thing in an irish match

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

well maybe people dont wanna cop the fcuk on.:D

The fact that we are facing our worst economic crisis in the history of the state.

Oh I see. So the recession handled the ball!!

Seriously what are you getting at? Bad Irish economic times = Worldwide comdemnation of FIFA???

Its 'Joe Public' that make FIFA possible to function, without 'Joe Public's' money FIFA would cease to be, without 'Joe Public's' opinions and ideas FIFA would be a static organisation. Therefore I'm pretty sure they take public opinion seriously, also would it not be the height of hypocrisy for an organisation that live by the 'Fair Play' slogan to stand by and do nothing.

Everyone is calling for video replays and it seems a match replay also, are you telling me FIFA should ignore what the public want? Will there ever be a better chance to bring in new rules?

If the French public agree, the FAI and the entire football nation also agree then how much uproar would it actually cause? apart from maybe the French dressing room. You could tell after the match that Henry felt guilt and I'm sure he would prefer to go to the World Cup on a better note.

You don't have to be a world government to enforce the idea of Democracy.

A simple analogy of 'the customer is always right' comes to mind and after all we are the paying customers, customers who only ask one thing - fair play. Fair play being the motto of what FIFA prides itself on.

I accept your point but won't resort to telling people to 'cop on'. Everyone is entitled to their opinion

• Advertisement

Im sorry if Im picking you up wrong here but are you saying the only reason Ireland lost is because they didnt take their chances? and that the handball/ goal had nothing to do with it?

I dont think so. If that goal had been disallowed for the off side, which it was first and foremost, then I honestly dont think France would have scored and it would have gone to penalties, and if we did loose then, it would have been fair and square.

I thought the whole spirit of the game was playing together as a team with respect for your opponents and winning or loosing fairly! there are rules there for a reason.

I think when it comes to games of this magnitude, when there is so much at stake for a team like Ireland, like a world cup spot, then replays should be considered.

FIFA wanted Fair Play. thats all Im asking for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

thats not what im saying at all though, had you actually bothered to read my posts before wading in
    I read your posts lad and i know where your coming from. Your saying we should let it go, it's embarassing etc...well why should we? Why not correct this wrong.

Oh I see. So the recession handled the ball!!

Seriously what are you getting at? Bad Irish economic times = Worldwide comdemnation of FIFA???

Did I say that, read my posts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Im sorry if Im picking you up wrong here but are you saying the only reason Ireland lost is because they didnt take their chances? and that the handball/ goal had nothing to do with it?

I dont think so. If that goal had been disallowed for the off side, which it was first and foremost, then I honestly dont think France would have scored and it would have gone to penalties, and if we did loose then, it would have been fair and square.

I thought the whole spirit of the game was playing together as a team with respect for your opponents and winning or loosing fairly! there are rules there for a reason.

I think when it comes to games of this magnitude, when there is so much at stake for a team like Ireland, like a world cup spot, then replays should be considered.

FIFA wanted Fair Play. thats all Im asking for

The fact is though that Ireland were so dominant in the 90 minutes and they really should have killed the game off a long time before extra-time came along.

In extra time it was a different story - in the 5 minutes before the goal France had a penalty turned down and a marginal offside decision go against them (when Govou scored) It looked like Ireland were out on their feet and the next goal looked to be coming from France. So it proved and it was a shame they had to cheat to get it

where were all the threads about it before yesterday?

some people were very anti cheating, but where are all these people after coming from in the last 24 hours?

thats hypocritical though

youre either anti cheating or youre not. you cant say "ah it doesnt matter that much" in club football, then suddenly expect fifa to change the entire structure of the modern game over one thing in an irish match

Its cause its our national team that the numbers of people complaining at the same time has increased exponentially.

I'm not saying that there haven't been calls for football's governing bodies to address club football situations. In fact there are calls for it every weekend. they largely go unoticed though. The Eduardo dive was the only one that gained momentum of any note.

You should be seeing this incident as the one that could eventually turn the tide instead of knocking it as a stupid Irish thing.

I think you need to look at the bigger picture, what does it take to enforce change? I believe FIFA have a perfect opportunity here. The whole football community seems to be uniting, including the French public themselves. FIFA could actually make a ground breaking decision and keep 99.9% of the football world happy and with optimism for the future.

Did I say that, read my posts

Your post related to the recession yes or no? If it did why are you bringing it up on this matter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭IrishKev

I just heard on the radio that Sarcosy won't be helping Ireland in their quest to replaying the game.

"I am very sorry for the Irish Republic, but please leave me out of it" was what I picked up.... :(

greendom wrote: »
    The fact is though that Ireland were so dominant in the 90 minutes and they really should have killed the game off a long time before extra-time came along.

In extra time it was a different story - in the 5 minutes before the goal France had a penalty turned down and a marginal offside decision go against them (when Govou scored) It looked like Ireland were out on their feet and the next goal looked to be coming from France. So it proved and it was a shame they had to cheat to get it

In fairness, it was never a penalty and the Govou offside wasn't marginal, if Ireland were out on their feet they wouldn't have had the concentrational levels to play that offside with such precision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

It shouldn't imo, yes the assistant ref made a massive mistake, but that's life, **** happens, we just have to pick ourselves up again and make sure we don't put ourselves in the same position in the future and actually finish off the job.

There was no replay after the hand of god, no replay when N'Gog dived the last day, no replay when Pedro Mendes scored from the half way line against Roy Carroll or after the beach ball, there shouldn't be any special treatment given to us, we as a nation just need to get over it tbh.

Advertisement