Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should the Ireland France game be replayed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

drkpower wrote: »
    And Maradona is banned for 2 months so this is a real chance for them.

:D

Le Monde wrote:
    Do you beleive the current France team deserves to go to South Africa?
    Oui=11%
    Non=89%
    That was in the french newspaper Le Monde this morning..... The french public do NOT like their team...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

And Maradona is banned for 2 months so this is a real chance for them.

And after losing all the weight as well; he must be gutted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

Helix wrote: »
    no

they simply CANNOT allow a replay

if they do every single match played in leagues all over the world will have their results contested over ridiculous things, every single week

video technology cant be introduced over a few months, it has to be trialled, rules about it have to be drafted, and everyone has to know exactly where they stand before its introduced for it to work

Uzbekistan V Bahrain 2005 'yes they can'

FairPlay - Date of Birth 19/11/2009

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

JokerD wrote: »
    Uzbekistan V Bahrain 2005 'yes they can'

that wasnt because the referee missed something though was it

its nothing at all like this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

well I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens.
    I should have been studying for the exam that I have tomorrow. Oh well!

Night everyone! Its been fun.:D

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Can't see any Irish players complaining there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

SarahBM wrote: »
    I should have been studying for the exam that I have tomorrow. Oh well!

Just cheat, FFs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

It should be replayed and then video referee should be brought in TBH.

This just makes soccer look bad. Its bad enough when its diving as at least that can be hidden but this nonsense of deliberately handling a ball with a lines man in a good position to see and getting away with it just shows there isn't enough monitoring.

You can have it so the video ref can only be gone to for incidents in the box and shots on goal to stop it happening all over the pitch all the time.

The sport has had massive problems for years and needs to punish rule breakers. If something on this level happens in F1, people mock the crap out of it that watch soccer. Its the same bullsh** except at least in F1 someone gets punished.

Replay it and introduce massive penalties and match bans/season bans for players that have deliberately caused scoring opportunities by cheating.

Its how all other sports work so I don't see why soccer should be so special. Imagine if a player moved a ball in snooker to benefit himself and it was only picked up on camera, guarantee you the same people here saying no replay would be crying that the game of snooker needs to sort itself out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

when Robbie is chesting the ball in the above video does he use his arm to control the ball? looks like it.

5 game ban i reckon.

some irish fans really are making fools of themselves, the idea of a replay is masking the real issue here, that with this pressure that FIFA is now under, we should be looking for the introduction of video technology...not ridiculous requests for replays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fulhamfanincork

The game should not be replayed at all, infact I think it is amateurish of the FAI to even ask for a replay in this day and age.

Interesting how much traction its getting though - its 4th headline on BBC 10pm news tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

Interesting how much traction its getting though - its 4th headline on BBC 10pm news tonight.

Main news on Prime Time, anyway good night all, enjoyed the debate.
    I don't expect to get the replay but it would be nice:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Paleface

Mr Alan wrote: »
    some irish fans really are making fools of themselves, the idea of a replay is masking the real issue here, that with this pressure that FIFA is now under, we should be looking for the introduction of video technology...not ridiculous requests for replays.

I firmly believe that by going down the replay route we will draw more attention to the bigger issue here. Too often have the calls for video technology fallen on deaf ears.

The FAI will not get a replay but they will turn some heads with their statement.

All the major news channels are carrying this as a headline story. FIFA are being cast in a poor light and by right should say they are working to address the issue for the better of the game.

We are not making fools of ourselves imho.

when Robbie is chesting the ball in the above video does he use his arm to control the ball? looks like it.

5 game ban i reckon.

If he's doing it on purpose, I don't see why not?

I'd also give him a massive fine.

You'd soon find less players intentionally handling the ball in the box. If players own up to ref about it then they don't get banned but still get fined. Since they'd be caught on camera anyway and fined, they'd own up straight away. Honesty on the pitch would mean you wouldn't even have to go to the video ref in many cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭ccosgrave

I heard on SSN that the FFF refused the request for a replay, so it just leaves FIFA as the only possible way in which we can get a replay. Can anyone confirm this? They kind of just said it in passing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Just watched the John Delaney news conference and must say I am actually proud of him. He came across well and expressed the views of the Irish public on an international stage. Most likely nothing will come of it but it puts the pressure on FIFA now.

http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,26691,12606_5705632,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Absolutely, fair play to Delaney. I hope he keeps up the passion for the cause over the coming days.

Letters should be sent to all the FAs of all 31 countries who legitimately qualified for the World Cup asking for support. Nobody should be happy to play in a World Cup tainted by a team who cheated their way there. It undermines any integrity the tournament might have. Imagine France knocking out Spain, England or Brazil - never mind winning it. It would be a huge injustice.

• Advertisement

Its even on Newsnight. Im amazed that its such a story on non-Irish (and French) media. But, lets be honest about it, it will calm down over the coming days and there will be no replay.

But hopefully it will start anew the calls for video replays for vital incidents. Long oveerdue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

What time is Newsnight on tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

Just watching Sky News, even the kids aren't impressed and are dropping him as a role model!

In my opinion, it should be replayed. Not only was the Uzbekistan and Bahrain game called for a replay, but even Arsenal offered Sheffield Wednesday a replay after a far less controversial incident in an FA cup. Ok, not quite the same as International, but hey, not like it hasn't happened before.

Finical wrote: »

now - but it will probably be last-ish item circa 11pm.

Finical wrote: »

now

now - but it will probably be last-ish item circa 11pm.
    Cheers fella!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Absolutely, fair play to Delaney. I hope he keeps up the passion for the cause over the coming days.

Letters should be sent to all the FAs of all 31 countries who legitimately qualified for the World Cup asking for support. Nobody should be happy to play in a World Cup tainted by a team who cheated their way there. It undermines any integrity the tournament might have. Imagine France knocking out Spain, England or Brazil - never mind winning it. It would be a huge injustice.

I was actually thinking that myself. There would no doubt be uproar if the likes of England, Germany, Italy or whatever country was knocked-out by the French. Mind you the Danes won Euro 92 and shouldnt even have been in the bloody tournament!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Paleface wrote: »
    I firmly believe that by going down the replay route we will draw more attention to the bigger issue here. Too often have the calls for video technology fallen on deaf ears.

The FAI will not get a replay but they will turn some heads with their statement.

All the major news channels are carrying this as a headline story. FIFA are being cast in a poor light and by right should say they are working to address the issue for the better of the game.

That's the nub of it. Hopefully something good will come out of it.
    Paleface wrote: »
    We are not making fools of ourselves imho.
    Not at the moment, but if we drag it out for too long then we will be.

Hopefully it will go even deeper than that and try to address the endemic systematic cheating that goes on such as claiming for frees, off-sides (regardless of whether the player has any idea if it was a free or off-side or not), time-wasting etc. etc. .

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

look at this way, if this had not been part of the world cup in any way, the whistle would have gone at the end of the 90 mins and ireland would have won fair and square

• Advertisement

Overature wrote: »
    look at this way, if this had not been part of the world cup in any way, the whistle would have gone at the end of the 90 mins and ireland would have won fair and square
    What difference would that make it would still be 1-1 on aggregate. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭budgemook

The fact that people are even asking for a replay seems ridiculous to me. Can people not imagine the implications of setting a precedent like this?

Can people not imagine the implications of setting the precedent of allowing a team to blatantly cheat their way into the World Cup?

Can people not imagine the implications of setting the precedent of allowing a team to blatantly cheat their way into the World Cup?

1986 Hand of God?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

well, yeah

ireland had enough chances to score another in the 90 minutes. there wouldve been no extra time had they taken one of them

If I read this stupid point in one more post..

It is not against the rules of the game to miss a chance, it is to handball it twice. How is the performance relevant?

Christ, if they'd been all over us then you'd be saying 'well, we didn't deserve it'.

noodler wrote: »
    It is not against the rules of the game to miss a chance, it is to handball it twice.

and if the ref doesnt see it, its play on

theyre the rules

and if the ref doesnt see it, its play on

theyre the rules

Just stop bringing wasted chances into it or somehow arguing that Irelan are somehow to blame.

noodler wrote: »
    Just stop bringing wasted chances into it or somehow arguing that Irelan are somehow to blame.

why? its the truth

if frances goal was perfectly legit itd still be the truth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Helix do u have a vendetta for the irish team just lay down and let fifa walk over us? Your posts are really pissing me off

• Advertisement

Just mentioned briefly on BBCs Question Time :eek:

Headshot wrote: »
    Helix do u have a vendetta for the irish team just lay down and let fifa walk over us? Your posts are really pissing me off

i care about as much about the irish team as i do about the bahrain team

what i DO care about is football, and i dont want to see it destroyed by a retrospective introduction of a rule which will be enforced on a past event

Headshot wrote: »

So let them walk all over the rules of the game instead? The rules need to apply equally to everyone.

They need to fix them; then tell everyone; then we all know where we are and we can move onwards.

The alternative iis to intervene on a case by case basis, and you know that, in the long run, if that policy applies, we will lose out more in the future.

what i DO care about is football, and i dont want to see it destroyed by a retrospective introduction of a rule which will be enforced on a past event

Tell that to Eduardo.

why? its the truth

if frances goal was perfectly legit itd still be the truth

You see the 'if' there in your post? Thats why your logic is warped.

Our performance is irrelevant, the cheating has nothing to do with the performance of either team.

Tell that to Eduardo.

what, the bloke who wasnt banned in the end?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Destroyed, please give it a rest with that BS . Your posts are so bloody negative change the record ffs
    Im off before i say anything ill regret

Sports with credibility usually do reconsider events if there is evidence of blatant rule infringements.

So your basically for soccer lacking credibility compared to other sports? Because thats what this and all the other moronic decisions that never get looked at again do to the sport.

Guy I work with is from New Zealand who just qualified for the world cup for first time since 1982 and his attitude is basically so what, its a crap sport where players fall over first chance they get.

Since thats what most people who aren't following the sport think of it, I think the sport has a problem TBH. I can't think of any other sport where after an incident like the other night occurs that they just leave it and walk away.

You have to be mental if you think thats the right outcome.

thebman wrote: »
    You have to be mental if you think thats the right outcome.

Perhaps; but its even more mental to apply rules on an entirley ad hoc basis. The whole system neeeds to be changed. Replaying this game when no other game with a similarly dodgy outcome has been replayed is not the answer.

Perhaps; but its even more mental to apply rules on an entirley ad hoc basis. The whole system neeeds to be changed. Replaying this game when no other game with a similarly dodgy outcome has been replayed is not the answer.

I don't see it that way. This is probably one of the most blatant cases and for entry to the world cup of the sport.

Its like saying someone caught on drugs should be allowed in the Olympics because they weren't caught until afterwards.

It just makes no sense. It doesn't have to be applied backwards at all since in previous games, complaints weren't lodged in most circumstances. If someone doesn't complain about a result immediately after the game and lodge an official complaint, its safe to say that they don't have a problem with it.

There ya go, 90% of past cases can't complain since they accepted the decision at the time so it isn't an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

This thread worries me. Lots of football fans on here seem, to me, to have become completely detached from the ideals of sport. All this worry about precedents and schedules is unnecessary. Should the game be replayed? Yes, it should. The result of the game was, unquestionably, decided by an action that is against the rules. This result totally invalidated the sport in that game. What is the point of playing a sport if the rules aren't enforced? Football is so blighted - constantly influenced - by rule breaking it is amazing. We, as fans, should not accept this state of affairs.

Now, can the game be replayed? FIFA, in their position as the governing body, probably can't do anything. It's their own fault for not introducing video technology before now but that's a whole other discussion. The French FA, however, don't need FIFA to demand a replay, they should offer one off their own bat. That is the essence of fair play imho. And fair play is the essence of sport. The French and Irish should be able to come to an agreement on how to honourably sort out this mess, without involving FIFA. Then FIFA would be free of the ramifications of setting precedents and all that bother.

The most practical form of replay would probably be just a penalty shoot out. I think that would be a reasonable expectation that would be fair to both teams considering how they both played over the whole tie.

Another thing, I'm staggered by people who say that this type of thing happens in football and you just have to move on. That is NOT true. This type of thing does not happen in football. This incident did not happen in football - it happened outside of the rules of football! Therefor it is not football.

Lastly, I'm infuriated by people who try and say that this is somehow Ireland's fault. The fact that the Irish players only scored one goal is neither here nor there. People like Helix
    sure lets start handing out replays to all teams who put up a good fight but couldnt quite take their chances
    We did enough to be level on aggregate at that point. The French clearly broke the rules which completely altered the result. That is in no way our fault or responsibility.

• Advertisement
Advertisement