Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should the Ireland France game be replayed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Pro. F wrote: »
    Edit: what happened openroad, did you delete your post? Or am i being really thick :confused:

:D bugger you got in a reply before I deleted my post :p too late in the night/ early in the morning, wanted to change my reply to your post later in the day :)

I do agree with a lot of you have to say. And I am getting tired of incidents not just like Wednesday but all incidents where clearly video evidence shows a player has broken the rules.

I wasn't specifically referring to yourself when I said fans turning a blind eye,my reply was more general, not specifically aimed at yourself :-) and fair play for saying you would call for a replay if the situation is reversed.

What I would like to see is FIFA come out and say that going forward that technology will be used.

As to what happen here, unless the French FA offer a replay, I can't see anything happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

OPENROAD wrote: »
    :D bugger you got in a reply before I deleted my post :p too late in the night/ early in the morning, wanted to change my reply to your post later in the day :)

I do agree with a lot of you have to say. And I am getting tired of incidents not just like Wednesday but all incidents where clearly video evidence shows a player has broken the rules.

I wasn't specifically referring to yourself when I said fans turning a blind eye,my reply was more general, not specifically aimed at yourself :-) and fair play for saying you would call for a replay if the situation is reversed.

What I would like to see is FIFA come out and say that going forward that technology will be used.

As to what happen here, unless the French FA offer a replay, I can't see anything happening.

ha funny stuff :). You're totally right, it is too late/early for this complicated conversation. Sure i'll just delete my post and you can make your reply later if you want.

And yup we probably do mostly agree on this in principle, it's just so very complicated and involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Pro. F wrote: »
    ha funny stuff :). You're totally right, it is too late/early for this complicated conversation. Sure i'll just delete my post and you can make your reply later if you want.

And yup we probably do mostly agree on this in principle, it's just so very complicated and involved.

Yup deffo too late, I'm having to correct too many spelling and grammar mistakes :D

I'm calling it a night, enjoyed the debate with everyone today :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Headshot wrote: »
    Destroyed, please give it a rest with that BS . Your posts are so bloody negative change the record ffs
    Im off before i say anything ill regret

:confused: And here was me thinking this was a medium for people to convey different opinions. We're not in the business of propoganda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

FIFA rejects Irish replay request.
    Fifa will not grant the Football Association of Ireland's request for a replay of France's World Cup play-off win over the Republic of Ireland.

The Republic were beaten 2-1 on aggregate after France won with a goal from William Gallas, after Thierry Henry handled the ball in the build up. A Fifa source said: "There is no way the game can be replayed.

"To do so would cause absolute chaos for football. Fifa's rules are absolutely clear."

The source continued: "Law 5 states that a referee's decision on points of fact is final. That is the end of it. You cannot replay the match on this basis."

The FAI's chief executive John Delaney had lodged a complaint with Fifa asking for the match to be replayed to preserve the game's "integrity".

Fifa insisted its disciplinary code says referees' decisions "are final".
    And the situation took on a political dimension as the Irish and French prime ministers disagreed over the matter.

Irish Prime Minister Brian Cowen called on Fifa, football's world governing body, to order a replay, saying he would raise the issue with French President Nicolas Sarkozy at a Brussels summit. But France's Prime Minister Francois Fillon responded that the Irish government should not interfere in footballing decisions.

Republic manager Giovanni Trapattoni said he does not expect a replay.
    "When a referee decides a game has finished I know it is impossible to replay the game," said the Italian. "This situation has to give a chance to who is responsible to rethink. It can be repeated in the future and we have to stop it."

Fifa confirmed that it has received the letter from the FAI. In a statement, football's world governing body added: "As stated in Law 5 of the Laws of the Game, and also in Article 13, paragraph 6 of the Regulations of the 2010 FIFA World Cup, 'no protests may be made about the referee's decisions regarding facts connected with play. Such decisions are final, unless otherwise stipulated in the Fifa Disciplinary Code.'"

Trapattoni's side lost the first leg in Dublin 1-0 but were leading 1-0 in Paris before Henry handled the ball and squared for Gallas to nod in a goal that sent France to the 2010 World Cup finals in South Africa and left the Republic heartbroken.

"The handball was recognised by the Fifa commissioner, the referee observer and the match officials, as well as by the player himself," read the FAI statement. "There is precedent for the invalidation of such results. In 2005, the bureau of the Fifa World Cup organising committee reached a decision to invalidate the result of a World Cup qualification match between Uzbekistan and Bahrain on the basis of a 'technical error by the referee of the match'.

"The Football Association of Ireland is hoping that Fifa and its disciplinary committee will, on behalf of football fans worldwide, act in a similar fashion so that the standards of fair play and integrity can be protected."
    FAI chief executive John Delaney added that the organisation had also written to their French counterparts as he urged Fifa to back up their words over fair play with actions. "When you ask me is this clutching at straws, we have to do what we are doing," said Delaney. "We have to do it. It is up to the people who govern the game now, if they really believe in the principles of fair play then step forward.

"Every time I go to congress it is all about fair play and fair play ambassadors but well done is better than well said. They're words, I'd like to see actions. "From the French FA point of view they need to look at themselves in this situation. "Henry is their captain and a wonderful footballer but does he want to be like Diego Maradona and his legacy to be this handball, this goal that got them to the World Cup in an unjust manner? "If we had qualified in this manner, I wouldn't be happy."

Referee Martin Hansson and his assistants failed to see Henry's offence and Trapattoni questioned the appointment of the officials, as well as Fifa's decision to seed the play-off draw at late notice. The Fifa rankings had Ireland in 34th place, meaning France, Russia, Portugal and Greece were seeded for the two-legged play-off matches. The top four teams were then drawn to face Ireland, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Ukraine and Slovenia.

"All fans saw what happened on the pitch," said Trapattoni. "I would only like to say I would like Fifa to explain how they selected the referee for this important game. "For this important game we needed a stronger referee - an important referee."
    He added: "I would give the advice to Fifa - maybe in the future change the rules about the play-off. Play two games and at the end of 90 minutes have no extra-time.

"I will go to Fifa and advise them 'go straight to penalties'. It's better for football. I think there are mistakes in life - I've seen many situations in football but change the rules. "All sports lose credibility with this situation - it affects the integrity of the game. For me, it's bitter. There are many questions - they changed the rules about the seeded teams, then us playing away last. "There are many doubts that have to be eliminated. Out of the non-seeded teams we were the only ones to play the second game away - why?"

Trapattoni refused to blame Henry but believes this sort of situation could force Fifa into bringing in the type of video technology that many in the game say is needed. "There is a 30-second stop and we clarify the situation," he said. "I'm sure in the future they will have to do something about it. It wasn't up to Henry to say 'I touched it with my hand.'"

Earlier, Republic of Ireland assistant manager Liam Brady said the team would be willing to replay their World Cup play-off match against France. "We would go to Paris and play again," Brady told Radio 5 live. "It will not come to that but we would be willing to go to Paris, on their home ground, and have a fair winner."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/8368100.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

can we have an end to the silliness now please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Paleface

The blind eye of FIFA!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Wishful thinking says it should be replayed but it just will not happen. I dont see the FFF and FIFA both saying they will replay it.

gavredking wrote: »
    Wishful thinking says it should be replayed but it just will not happen. I dont see the FFF and FIFA both saying they will replay it.

I expected a response from FIFA along the lines of what they gave but also including a statement on how they are planning on preventing something like this happening again. Some kind of assurance to football fans worldwide that they realise the rules of their game are being compromised and they are working to address it.

But no. Its obvious they are just waiting for this to blow over and normal service resumes. Pathetic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Look, we all know the replay won't happen. But if this brings in some positive changes like video technology then it'll be worth it.

Big if though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Anyone else see Roy Keane's interview on SSN there? LOL is all I'll say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

The fact that France claim to be "ashamed" yet aren't calling for a replay shows how honourable they really are.

Anyone can say anything, it's actions which matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Always suspected Fifa to do this.

Half arsed sporting governing body.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

What did he say ?

Tusky wrote: »
    What did he say ?

To say he's bitter is an understatement!

- He said it's ridiculous asking for a replay

- questioned why the FAI didn't offer a replay to Georgia after we got a ridiculous penalty decision in that game which changed the game for us.

- Said we need video technology but that's nothing new.

- Used it as a chance to have another pop at John Delaney. Said he has no grounds to talk about honesty and integrity in the game because he didn't phone Keane after the Saipan incident.

- Said that if the ball bounces in the box he asks why the defence haven't cleared it and "Where's your goalkeeper"

- Finished up by saying that "the fans deserve better, as does the manager and most of the players, but I'm not so sure the FAI deserve better....what goes around comes around!"

As much as I've gone off Roy in the last few years, and I do see him pretty much now as a cnut, but watchin this I was p1ssing myself laughing from start to finish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭rocco

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/8368100.stm forget about the replay its not going to happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

AARRRGH wrote: »
    The fact that France claim to be "ashamed" yet aren't calling for a replay shows how honourable they really are.

Totally would have expected them to surrender by now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Roy Keane and sense. Two things which will never go together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

what he say.....

Im anti sky....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Just heard Keane's press conference on 5 Live. He's a bitter man - thinking more about getting one over on the FAI than standing up for the sport or the country.

The usual stuff, Roy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

FAI to have a press conference today in response to FIFA's statement. Hope to jesus they take this one to the courts and don't let FIFA brush this under the carpet. Even if it keeps it in the headlines for a bit and the cheating in the game can be sorted out sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭budgemook

Question for all you have a replay people. Should Birmingham get a replay against Liverpool because N'Gog is alleged to have dived?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

In all honesty Liverpool vs Sunderland was more deserving of a replay then the France match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

no because Birimingham's Benitez dove around the pitch all night like it was a version of Swan Lake he was in.

podge018 wrote: »
    no because Birimingham's Benitez dove around the pitch all night like it was a version of Swan Lake he was in.

And Robbie Keane didn't hand ball? (I know he got caught)

The idea to replay is ridiculous. The ref didn't see it and his decision is final. If this changes, EVERY loss in every game will be challenged.

Ban Henry, don't care, bring in extra refs / video evidence, sure. Play the game again? Madness.

I've also heard people say that the Bahrain issue was the same thing. I hope nobody here thinks that.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

budgemook wrote: »
    And Robbie Keane didn't hand ball? (I know he got caught)

Totally irrelevent. His didnt cause a goal or cause us to unfairly go to to the world cup..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Absolutely not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭currythis

Jaysus some rant from Keano,he'll surely get slaughtered by some of the fairweather Ireland 'fans' for his comments.

it's not irrelevant, bad decisions are made nearly every game. As Roy Keane says these decisions have also helped Ireland in the past.

The game should not be replayed, it's not the rules, simple as. Move on. Maybe next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Tusky wrote: »
    What did he say ?
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/1120/france_ireland3.html
    wrote:
    Roy Keane had little sympathy for the Football Association of Ireland's campaign to have their controversial World Cup play-off against France replayed and said: 'What goes around comes around.'

The Ipswich Town manager's relationship with the FAI broke down following his walk-out from the Republic of Ireland training camp prior to the 2002 World Cup.

And he dismissed their calls for 'the honesty and integrity' of the sport to be protected in the wake of Thierry Henry's handball which led to France's winner in Paris on Wednesday night.

He told a press conference: 'I think the supporters deserve better, the manager (Giovanni Trapattoni) deserves better and probably most of the players deserve better, but I'm not sure the FAI deserve better.

'What goes around comes around.'

Keane pointed out that controversial decisions also went Ireland's way in the qualifying campaign, not least a harsh penalty award against Georgia which helped them to claim a 2-1 qualifying win in February.

He added: 'Ireland had their chances in the two games (against France), and they never took them. But it's the usual FAI reaction - 'we've been robbed, the honesty of the game...'

'There was one match against Georgia where Ireland got a penalty and it was one of the worst decisions I've ever seen which changed the whole course of the game.

'I don't remember the FAI after the game saying we should give them a replay.'

Talking specifically about France's winner, Keane laid the blame on Ireland's defence rather than Henry, who handled the ball before crossing for William Gallas to head in.

'I'd focus on why they didn't clear it,' he said.

'I'd be more annoyed with my defenders and my goalkeeper than Thierry Henry. How can you let the ball bounce in your six-yard box? How can you let Thierry Henry get goal-side of you?

'If the ball goes into the six-yard box, where the hell is my goalkeeper?'

Keane's antipathy towards the FAI stems back to the Pacific island of Saipan seven years ago when he left the team's pre-World Cup training camp, complaining that the facilities were sub-standard.

'People seem to forget what was going on in that World Cup, and that man (FAI chief executive John Delaney) is on about honesty. I was one of the players and he didn't have the courtesy to ring me,' he said.

'I'd been involved with Ireland since I was 15 years of age and that man didn't have the decency to make a phone call. He could have phoned me, of course he could have.'

Keane is contradicting himself in that interview by telling everyone to get on with it one minute and then saying cheating needs to be stamped out the next.

The look of hatred in his eyes for the FAI is plain for all to see. An angry man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Paleface wrote: »
    Keane is contradicting himself in that interview by telling everyone to get on with it one minute and then saying cheating needs to be stamped out the next.

The look of hatred in his eyes for the FAI is plain for all to see. An angry man!

Aye, get on with it but at the same time he has a moment of "Daddy, why didn't you ring me Daddy!!!?" regarding an incident that happened 7 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Fair comment re the Georgia game, I would have thought. We never offered them a reply and if a complaint had gone into FIFA I'm equally sure it would have been ridiculed by the very people demanding a reply right now.

The Georgia moan about all the bigger team getting preferential treatment...

What goes around does indeed come around - he got that right.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Fair comment re the Georgia game, I would have thought. We never offered them a reply and if a complaint had gone into FIFA I'm equally sure it would have been ridiculed by the very people demanding a reply right now.

A bird in the hand is wroth two in the bush.

Beware the eyes of March.

Winners don't cheat, cheats never win.

Did I get that right too? With my painfully generic sayings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

noodler wrote: »

Actually, it's IDES of March. Beyond that, the hell are you taling about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

same keaneo crap.never though much these days what he says

You latching onto a silly, homogenous saying spat out by a bitter Roy Keane.

Basically. I know its ides, typo. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭bobbyg

Don't think we cheated in the Georgia game though.

You latching onto a silly, homogenous saying spat out by a bitter Roy Keane.

Basically. I know its ides, typo. Thanks.

I think you need to research the phrase "latching on to..." as well as "ides of March".

I agreed with what he said about the Georgia game, nothing nore, nothing less. If you disagree, present your argument. If not, stop posting innacurate defintions.

I never commented on the Saipan/Keane v Delaney spat, if that's what you're referring to.

bobbyg wrote: »
    Don't think we cheated in the Georgia game though.

True, but it's just as much a wrong decision by the offical. And a lot closer to the Uzbek/Bahrain precedent, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭rocco

Paleface wrote: »

Keane is a f@cking idiot end of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

You've got to admire him though for not just handing out easy platitudes, but to say what he really thinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

I feel for the good of football and the nation we need to put this to bed.

It is now in the past forget about it. I was/am as dissapointed as everyone else we did not qualify. Even if the goal was dissallowed we would still have had to win the penalty shootout. So to say we were cheated out of going to SA is wrong. Being cheated out of the possibility of winning a penalty shootout is nearer the point. Referees get call wrong, it is a fact in football. In another thread a couple of weeks ago people were calling for Ngog's head on a plate and some defending him.

We are now starting to come across as bitter and sore losers. Most of this BTW is been driven by SKY, on the hour very hour.

If not, stop posting innacurate defintions.

Like what? Misspelling ides of March you mean?

Good stuff

If thats all you take from the Keane interview then god help you. Were the seedings not a case of it "coming around for us"? How about playing away from home in the second leg?

I am going to use Keane's logic, he presided over a team which sacrificed a 2-0 lead to Holland in 2000, therefore he can have no complaints about not playing it it.

• Advertisement

thegen wrote: »
    I feel for the good of football and the nation we need to put this to bed.

It is now in the past forget about it. I was/am as dissapointed as everyone else we did not qualify. Even if the goal was dissallowed we would still have had to win the penalty shootout. So to say we were cheated out of going to SA is wrong. Being cheated out of the possibility of winning a penalty shootout is nearer the point. Referees get call wrong, it is a fact in football. In another thread a couple of weeks ago people were calling for Ngog's head on a plate and some defending him.

We are now starting to come across as bitter and sore losers. Most of this BTW is been driven by SKY, on the hour very hour.

Just turn off SSN then?

Advertisement