Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should the Ireland France game be replayed?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

thebman wrote: »
    There ya go, 90% of past cases can't complain since they accepted the decision at the time so it isn't an issue.

They didnt mmake a complaint because there was no rule alllowing the game to be replayed in these circumstance so putting in a complaint is of no benefit.

Lets take a simple analogy; the rules on seeding teams for the upcoming Euros is based on a variety of coefficients on the basis of recent qualfying campaigns. What if Slovenia feel this is unfair, and put in a complaint that it should be on the basis of the last Wrold Cup only and it was accepted leading to them being upgraded in seeding and us (or lets say, Austria) being downgraded. Is that acceptable or should we (or Austria) insist on the rules that were in place and understood in advance, however imperfect they may be, be followed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

noodler wrote: »
    Just turn off SSN then?

Great reply ther:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

thegen wrote: »
    Great reply ther:rolleyes:

Hey, if "on the hour, every hour" coverage of this is annoying you then it is a simple enough thing to solve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Paleface

I feel for the good of football and the nation we need to put this to bed.

It is now in the past forget about it. I was/am as dissapointed as everyone else we did not qualify. Even if the goal was dissallowed we would still have had to win the penalty shootout. So to say we were cheated out of going to SA is wrong. Being cheated out of the possibility of winning a penalty shootout is nearer the point. Referees get call wrong, it is a fact in football. In another thread a couple of weeks ago people were calling for Ngog's head on a plate and some defending him.

We are now starting to come across as bitter and sore losers. Most of this BTW is been driven by SKY, on the hour very hour.

Seriously how is it for the good of football to ignore it though?

You cheat. I ignore. You cheat again!

Paleface wrote: »

I definitely think that letting this slide would be worse for football.

No one really expects a replay but there are far bigger secondary issues that are being brought up.

• Advertisement

Hey, if "on the hour, every hour" coverage of this is annoying you then it is a simple enough thing to solve.

Did I say it was bothering me?

Read the post. I said SKY were driving this on and on and the probable reason is the dislike of all things French by the English, but thats another story. My point was not my dislike of SKY's constant debate on the matter but the fact that they are the one's dragging it out on an International front.

FIFA will have to deal with it. Getting our politican's etc involved is becoming an embarrassment.

How many Liverpool fans that defended Ngog are on baying for Henry'd blood?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Did I say it was bothering me?

Read the post. I said SKY were driving this on and on and the probable reason is the dislike of all things French by the English, but thats another story. My point was not my dislike of SKY's constant debate on the matter but the fact that they are the one's dragging it out on an International front.

You're right about the anti-French sentiment driving this in England though - Have you seen the newspapers over there - the usual suspects anyway and their coverage of the cheating. Nothing the Brit tabloids love more than an excuse to be xenophobic

Most of this BTW is been driven by SKY, on the hour very hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Could you imagine if England had got dumped out in the same way we did, with an Henry handball! Jesus, Paris would be burning!

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    You're right about the anti-French sentiment driving this in England though - Have you seen the newspapers over there - the usual suspects anyway and their coverage of the cheating. Nothing the Brit tabloids love more than an excuse to be xenophobic

We are always well represented in the British media especially in football matters. Its also a slow football week considering England aren't in any serious action and theres no EPL games for the last 2 weeks.

I'd say these have bigger impacts than a stereotypical English grudge against the French. Check out some English soccer boards - you'd be surprised by how little sympathy we are getting for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

There shouldn't be a replay. There is no precedent for a referee missing a decision and then FIFA orderign the game replayed, the Bahrain game was a refereeing decision that was wrong, as opposed to what happened to us (the referee missing the incident completely).

What should happen is very strong action from FIFA to ensure they stay true to their fair play pledge. I would not be against post match disciplinary measures against players who are caught cheating.

Finally, the government should STFU about this. It's not any of their business and they are only mouthing on about this is to score brownie points with the public to deflect away from the shambles of a job they are doing.

FIFA will have to deal with it. Getting our politican's etc involved is becoming an embarrassment.

How many Liverpool fans that defended Ngog are on baying for Henry'd blood?

But they aren't dealing with it. They made a paltry statement and appear to have left it at that so it will blow over.

I agree that this is not a political matter but I honestly don't feel any embarrassment for anything Brian Cowen does. He's an embarrassment to himself!

The fact that supporters defend their own players is not the issue here. I haven't once called for anything to be done to Thierry Henry. I'm an Arsenal fan. He's one of my idols. He cheated and will get away with it.

My gripe is with FIFA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Like what? Misspelling ides of March you mean?

Good stuff

If thats all you take from the Keane interview then god help you. Were the seedings not a case of it "coming around for us"? How about playing away from home in the second leg?

I am going to use Keane's logic, he presided over a team which sacrificed a 2-0 lead to Holland in 2000, therefore he can have no complaints about not playing it it.

... like saying that I am using a multitude of "painfully generic sayings".

Beyond that, I'm still not sure why you're pissed off with me. Is it because you're under the falsh illusion of the sayings? Because I agree with Keane about Georgia? Because you disagree with the Georgia iassue and think all was fair and square? Because I didn't comment on the rest of the Keane interview (is there a law saying I MUST COMMENT on EVERY point?)? The seedings (which was possibly unfair, but that's another thread)?

I commented on the Georgia game, not Keane's interview. Keane made a good point. DO you disagree with this point? Would you agree/disagree if someone else have made it? It may have been contradctory, yes. There may be other incidednts that you could take into account, correct, but I was only commenting on the issue of The Georgia Game. NOT Keane's interview.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

*NEW ROUTE** Assembling Landsdowne Road and marching to French Embassy... 2pm... Wear Green, Bring Flags and Banners and let's have a party atmosphere!! Share the event below and Spread the Word At the very least it'll be a great day out!!!

Just got this to my Inbox on Facebook and i'd say it might hold some weight as the person that sent it has 250,000 followers and growing by the minute. The group calls itself Fairplay=Replay

Mods move if you feel it doesn't belong here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

FAI HQ isn't in Parnell Square

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

It's a march from Parnell Square to the FAI Headquarters. It'd be a short march if the HQ was in Parnell Square.

I can't make it, not in the country. I hope there's a big turn-out though. Show FIFA that the fans can't take the game being ruined like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Thinking they are meeting in Parnell Square

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,465 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

seems rather pointless.

Why march to FAI head quarters (over at Merion....) they aren't the ones hwo have done wrong.

Marching to the French Embassy, 36 Ailesbury Road, would make a good deal more sense I reckon, and even then I am not so sure. French ministers have already called for a replay.

A 'Protest' march that isn't aimed directly at FIFA (which isn't possible in this country) just doesn't seem to make sense to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

FAI HQ isn't in Parnell Square

It used to be on Merrion Square, but I think it moved out to Abbotstown no? Just check the FAI website and yes, it says its out in Abbotstown, which, if I'm right, is well outside the city centre. Has this been considered?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Isn't the FAI headquarters out in Abbotstown these days. Thats one long walk tbh :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Yeah, its in Abbotstown. Protests is pathetic imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

pointless, honestly.

the FAI agree with the public.

as does our government. *snigger*

march to FIFA if you really want to make a statement.

doing this march is only going to make us look like we're a bit loony; plus we won't be anywhere near the people we'd need to convince.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭pablodunlop

Route changed
    **NEW ROUTE** Assembling Landsdowne Road and marching to French Embassy... 2pm... Wear Green, Bring Flags and Banners and let's have a party atmosphere!! Share the event below and Spread the Word :D At the very least it'll be a great day out!!!

Could we have a Protest Drive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Route changed

The first post should be amended.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

Has anyone seen this?

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=738496027#/event.php?eid=187443306219&ref=nf

It will be like Ted and Dougal and The Passion of St. Tibulus. The shame. Give it up people.

Edit: Actually i see there is a thread about it already. Don't mind me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Route changed

The lack of organisation is worrying. Did you remember to tell the cops too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Could we just get over it already?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

This crap is getting really embarrassing now. Please stop, for the love of Christ, while you still have a shred of dignity left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Are you for real?

Ive never heard anything so ludicrous in my life.

Its time to get over it now lads, of course your angry but the fall out from this is nothing short of ridiculous at this stage.

bohsman wrote: »
    Could we just get over it already?

NO SURRENDER - IRELAND SAYS NOOOOOOO!

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

It will be like Ted and Dougal and The Passion of St. Tibulus. The shame. Give it up people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭daosulli

We lost, (fair or not) we lost . . a protest march would be embarrassing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Embarrassing.

• Advertisement

Im making my "Down With This Sort Of Thing" placard right now! :D

Im not really!

If anyone dies turn up, I reckon you'll find some confused Gardai who know nothing of this. Screams of a bit of a prank. I'm fairly certain there is no such protest planned.

How would they have got the Gardai to agree to close roads so quickly - and then change the route and get the Gardai to close those roads off instead. No chance, not happening. Would have been farcical anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Eirebear wrote: »
    Are you for real?

Ive never heard anything so ludicrous in my life.

Its time to get over it now lads, of course your angry but the fall out from this is nothing short of ridiculous at this stage.
    Fully agree and don't you know it will attract skangers who have no interest in football and probably didn't see the match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

They had to score two goals, they didn't score two goals.. perhaps a protest to Keane/O'Shea/Duff's house would be more in order?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I am sorry this is getting ridiculous now. Made me laugh anyway :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭coopersgreen

Any chance you could get together then do us all a favour and march right off a cliff before you embarrass yourselves any further??

I know it still won't result in a replay but at least he's spoken on it

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/8370764.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

mloc123 wrote: »
    They had to score two goals, they didn't score two goals.. perhaps a protest to Keane/O'Shea/Duff's house would be more in order?

they actually had to socre 1 goal to take it to penalties so get your facts right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

jaysus lads, you're an embarrassment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

The most shameful part about this is all the eejits who didn't notice that the FAI moved house two years ago. Not one of you has ever been to a game of football as well I'd imagine. Embarrassment

jaysus lads, you're an embarrassment.
    LeixlipRed wrote: »
    The most shameful part about this is all the eejits who didn't notice that the FAI moved house two years ago. Not one of you has ever been to a game of football as well I'd imagine. Embarrassment

YAY! Incorrect sweeping statement! Bravo people. I bet all you Poker and Maths boys are the same. see, I can make nonsensical sweeping statements to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Yes, we think you=shame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

how is my post an incorrect sweeping statement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

I know it still won't result in a replay but at least he's spoken on it

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/8370764.stm

yeah he says that AFTER fifa say theres no chance of a replay! isnt he amazing :rolleyes: its too late for him to attempt to be a reasonable human being/sportsman!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

Oh God, please don't let this happen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement