Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should the Ireland France game be replayed?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,465 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

how is my post an incorrect sweeping statement?

"jaysus lads, you're an embarrassment."

At least half the posters in this thread think a Protest is pathetic, so the fact you tarred everyone in this thread with the same brush makes your comment both inaccurate and sweeping.

As for LexlipRed

"Not one of you has ever been to a game of football as well I'd imagine"

Will, I have, and Des has - I'd reckon a lot of others have too. So 'Not one' is both sweeping and incorrect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

"jaysus lads, you're an embarrassment."

At least half the posters in this thread think a Protest is pathetic, so the fact you tarred everyone in this thread with the same brush makes your comment both inaccurate and sweeping.

As for LexlipRed

"Not one of you has ever been to a game of football as well I'd imagine"

Will, I have, and Des has - I'd reckon a lot of others have too. So 'Not one' is both sweeping and incorrect.

Mitch, I'd reckon they're referring to the people who are organising the protest, and not the posters in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

:D this is ****ing comical!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Hmmm, 10,000 posts and clueless. I was clearly referring to those in support of the protest.

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Hmmm, 10,000 posts and clueless. I was clearly referring to those in support of the protest.

So the 'you' was in reference to a select subset of the people involved in the conversation. How didn't I realise! It is so obvious now, now that i read it again there is certainly no room for misunderstanding.

Scien wrote: »
    This has just been advertised on Liveline. :eek:

I'm shocked this might actually be a real protest (with F-all people turning up)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Ah lad, give them a break!

Everyone has the right to peaceful protest. Regardless of how trivial you may precieve the issue you should not slag people off for having a bit of conviction and taking to the Streets. Irish people love to knock people who actually get of their asses and do something.

Fair play lads! I won't be going. Keep it dignified and classy and you will win more people over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

they were talking about this on Joe Duffy just now.

Clowns, anyone who goes on or supports this march is an utterly embarrassing clown

• Advertisement

i think you've confirmed my thoughts on the demographic that supports the march.

em....

uh....

what?

I in no way support the march, so how could anything I say confirm your thoughts on the demographic representing those supporting the march?

I represent that demographic in no way at all, so I'm perplexed how I could influence your judgement of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Scien wrote: »
    This has just been advertised on Liveline. :eek:

Just got a mention on Newstalk to.....seems to be gathering pace pretty quickly

So the 'you' was in reference to a select subset of the people involved in the conversation. How didn't I realise! It is so obvious now, now that i read it again there is certainly no room for misunderstanding.

Oh my.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

He'll be there...

1_16.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

From proud to be Irish to embarrassed to be Irish. Idiots *

* Disclaimer: thats the protest organisers and of course is my opinion

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    Ah lad, give them a break!

Everyone has the right to peaceful protest. Regardless of how trivial you may precieve the issue you should not slag people off for having a bit of conviction and taking to the Streets. Irish people love to knock people who actually get of their asses and do something.

Fair play lads! I won't be going. Keep it dignified and classy and you will win more people over.

I don;t thgink the matter they are protesting is trivial. I think the organisation is shambolic. Why are they protesting to the FAI, they agree with them and have already wrote to FIFA and the FFF requesting a play off. What is a protest to them going to accomplish?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

So the 'you' was in reference to a select subset of the people involved in the conversation.

obviously. we were hardly calling des an embarressment were we? basic logic imo.
    I in no way support the march, so how could anything I say confirm your thoughts on the demographic representing those supporting the march?

My mistake, i thought you were. i deleted it after i read back and realised you weren't.

mewso wrote: »
    From proud to be Irish to embarrassed to be Irish. Idiots *

* Disclaimer: thats the protest organisers and of course is my opinion

To be honest I find the reaction of some posters here to be more embarassing. It tells you alot about the Irish pyche. We hate to see people protesting. We would rather they just grumbled about thing down in the pub rather than actaully trying to achiving something.

To be honest I find the reaction of some posters here to be more embarassing. It tells you alot about the Irish pyche. We hate to see people protesting. We would rather they just grumbled about thing down in the pub rather than actaully trying to achiving something.

In footballing terms Euro Kraut we call these people BARSTOOLERS and this country is flooded with them.

I have no issue with protests and will be joining one next Tuesday. What's the difference between the two? One embarrasses the nation the other tells the government that public service cuts are unnaceptable. Can you guess which is which?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

The honour and pride that the players showed at the end of the game in Paris could be quickly forgotten about by this sort of crap.

Embarrassing that a march is even being considered.

• Advertisement

I don;t thgink the matter they are protesting is trivial. I think the organisation is shambolic. Why are they protesting to the FAI, they agree with them and have already wrote to FIFA and the FFF requesting a play off. What is a protest to them going to accomplish?

They are going to the French Embassy. In the absense of a office of hte FFF that is as good as they can do.

Granted intitially things were not fully thought out (e.g. Abbotstown) but now it looks like things are starting to come to together. The route has been arraganed they have got the Media awareness campaing kickstarted.

Of course the protest may accoplish nothing. However that is hardly a good reason not to something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Lads, what is embarrassing about football fans standing up against the actions of a cheat and the inactions of the governing bodies who always ****e on about Fair Play and respect?

Any decent football fan who is sick of the game being ruined by cheats and beurocrats should be marching tomorrow.

Doing nothing will achieve nothing. Doing something might prevent this happening again.

what are you hoping to achieve? at most what's going to happen is that the march will be shown on international news are we'll be considered a laughing stock. i'd prefer not to be associated with such nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭yeraulone

oh god. tell me these lads are taking the piss.

Of course the protest may accoplish nothing. However that is hardly a good reason not to something.

It will accomplish nothing. The only chance this thing has of making an impact is when it inevitably descends into a drunken farce.

I have no issue with protests and will be joining one next Tuesday. What's the difference between the two? One embarrasses the nation the other tells the government that public service cuts are unnaceptable. Can you guess which is which?

public cuts are necessary yo!

what are you hoping to achieve? at most what's going to happen is that the march will be shown on international news are we'll be considered a laughing stock. i'd prefer not to be associated with such nonsense.

Thats your choice, thanks for your input, now off you go.

Just mentioned on spin 103.8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

simpsons-mob-torches.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Whats the difference? There's a great deal of difference lad. Greedy public servants throwing their toys out of the pram is far less protest worthy then the injustice surrounding Henrys hand.

• Advertisement

Thats your choice, thanks for your input, now off you go.

so you're fine with being a national embarrassment in a worthless pursuit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

While I respect your right to protest, I am not sure marching outside the French embassy is the right thing to do at all. The French embassy is the representation of the French people and Government in Ireland, not FIFA or the FFF, and the French nation and members of it's Gov't have all already said how disappointed they are with Henry's action, the end result and called for a replay at the very least.

There will be no replay however. Accept facts, move on.

The Referee and his officials failed us, pure and simply. Henry just took advantage of the situation, it happens. I don't have any gripes with the French people themselves. Naturally, as everybody else, I'm just as sickened by what happened, but what do you hope to achieve here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Headshot wrote: »
    Mob picture

Do you have an image of the one where Homer goes to City Hall, and literally rattles the commissioners birdcage?

" I came to fight city hall. I want to shake things up, Patterson. Stir up some controversy, rattle a few cages"

so you're fine with being a national embarrassment in a worthless pursuit?

Thats your opinion, i don't really have an opinion on the matter, i support anyone who tries to get us justice and maybe doing something is better than doing nothing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I love a good protest for the right cause. I marched against the war in Iraq. A worthy protest in my eyes. This is just dreamers getting together to keep dreaming.

I love a good protest for the right cause. I marched against the war in Iraq. A worthy protest in my eyes. This is just dreamers getting together to keep dreaming.

Never hurt anyone to have a dream.

Never hurt anyone to have a dream.

So you seriously expect this to protest not to turn embarrassing? For example if all these people turn up in Chelsea, United or Liverpool shirts pissed out of their faces and make a general show of themselves, will it be ok then??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

This is getting embarrassing.

While I admit that we replayed the Lisbon Treaty because Europe complained...all this is going to succeed in is giving Europe something else to laugh at us about.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I think you calling them dreamers is harsh considering the war protest would have been considered a waste of time...trying to get the US to stop a war??

IMO the protest is going to do no good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Hang on, is this on tomorrow, cant see it in the OP

So you seriously expect this to protest not to turn embarrassing? For example if all these people turn up in Chelsea, United or Liverpool shirts pissed out of their faces and make a general show of themselves, will it be ok then??

I would hope that wouldn't happen, i would hope its peaceful and full of Ireland Jerseys and supporters with there flags. Wouldn't want any scumbags within a 100 miles of it.

What harm will it do since you all have your knickers in a twist?????

Henry has just called for the game to be replayed breaking news on Rte news. He said its the fairest way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

after FIFA already said it definitely won't happen.

i don't want to be a cynic but...

After FIFA say there won't be a replay.

What a guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Slightly skewed post there. When asked whether a replay would be fair, he said yes, a replay would be fair enough. He didn't just call a press conference and announce that there should be a replay.

There isn't a hope in hell that he would have said that if there is any hope in there actually being a replay.

Time to let it go lads. This is just Henry stepping up the PR exercise so that the whole world won't think of the words cheat and Ireland when they hear his name in 10 years time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

there just isn't a facepalm big enough at this stage to be honest

rarnes1 wrote: »
    After FIFA say there won't be a replay.

What a guy.

Well if the French come out now and say it should be replayed, it firmly gives FIFA a massive headache that won't go away

Slightly skewed post there. When asked whether a replay would be fair, he said yes, a replay would be fair enough. He didn't just call a press conference and announce that there should be a replay.

There isn't a hope in hell that he would have said that if there is any hope in there actually being a replay.

Time to let it go lads. This is just Henry stepping up the PR exercise so that the whole world won't think of the words cheat and Ireland when they hear his name in 10 years time.

Nothing skewed about it, Henry said the game should be replayed it was the fairest way. Nothing skewed about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Nothing skewed about it, Henry said the game should be replayed it was the fairest way. Nothing skewed about that.

Of course he waited till Fifa had clarified that under no circumstances would there be a replay. Trying to save face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

Iago wrote: »
    there just isn't a facepalm big enough at this stage to be honest
    Henry's hand is pretty big, he's could do a great facepalm.

But yeah, great laugh this thread.

• Advertisement
Advertisement