Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should the Ireland France game be replayed?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Wenger calls for replay, says he's embarrassed at how they qualified. Fair play to him. This truly is a "moral" victory at least!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Nothing skewed about it, Henry said the game should be replayed it was the fairest way. Nothing skewed about that.

Poker , call me a cynic but Henry came out with this statement after :

a.)FIFA Statement.
    b.)His Wiki gets vandalised , and he knows it.
    c ) The whole world is talking about him and his cheating ways.

If he was a MAN he should have not cheated , gone to the ref 10 secs after the incident , not after the game .
    Not give the post match lies that he did , and should never have made the "exploit" statement , which i think will be the one thing that hags around his neck for years to come..

It took him 10yrs to build up his "hero" character , it only took 3 secs in STADE DE FRANCE to show his true colours.

Rant over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Paleface

I don't like the way this thread has been merged in with the protest march that is happening tomorrow. That march is going to accomplish nothing and is just mob mentality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

mixednuts wrote: »
    It took him 10yrs to build up his "hero" character , it only took 3 secs in STADE DE FRANCE to show his true colours.

i agree with the rest of your post.

but this is frighteningly harsh.

what would you have done?

i agree, he cheated his ass off, but to suggest that now, all of a sudden, he's a horrible person, is just a bit far.

i hated him in the aftermath of this, horribly, but in the cold light of day i think we have to be a bit more reasonable. he hasn't turned into a w*nker, and i don't believe the alternative that he's always been a w*nker.

he made a wrong choice. a terrible one, a couple actually...first to cheat so blatantly, and then to try to justify it. he shouldn't have done it.

and as punishment he is going to be remembered in a far harsher light, and his legacy seems as though it's going to be tainted.

but there comes a point where we have to get a hold of ourselves and say, 'man, he made a mistake'.

he really doesn't deserve to be completely villified, and his whole character be completely shredded to pieces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

They just showed an interview with Roy Keane on Sky.

He is very much against the idea of a replay and the FAI in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

at least the embassy staff will get a good aul chuckle out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

I think that this post from letsbet.ie sums it up tbh.

I think Roy should keep his nose out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Now there's a surprise!
    He started moaning about Delaney not calling him in Saipan. Now I wouldnt defend Delaney but Roy needs to stop the "everyone is wrong but me" tune. Its tiring.

SlickRic wrote: »
    i agree with the rest of your post.

but this is frighteningly harsh.

what would you have done?

i agree, he cheated his ass off, but to suggest that now, all of a sudden, he's a horrible person, is just a bit far.

i hated him in the aftermath of this, horribly, but in the cold light of day i think we have to be a bit more reasonable. he hasn't turned into a w*nker, and i don't believe the alternative that he's always been a w*nker.

he made a wrong choice. a terrible one, a couple actually...first to cheat so blatantly, and then to try to justify it. he shouldn't have done it.

and as punishment he is going to be remembered in a far harsher light, and his legacy seems as though it's going to be tainted.

but there comes a point where we have to get a hold of ourselves and say, 'man, he made a mistake'.

he really doesn't deserve to be completely villified, and his whole character be completely shredded to pieces.

Slick ,
    If he is vilified its his own doing . I am sorry but he is a wan**er .
    Here are my top 6 reasons why ....

1.)The blatant handball **cough , double handball .
    2.)The Celebration .
    3.)Sitting with Dunne on the pitch ..what a P.R exercise , knowing the camera on them.
    4.)The Post match (smug) interview and denials.
    5.)The twisting of the knife with the "exploit" statement.
    6.The call for a replay after the FIFA Statement , not before .
    7 .)For being French ..joke , take that one out !

M.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

*NEW ROUTE** Assembling Landsdowne Road and marching to French Embassy... 2pm... Wear Green, Bring Flags and Banners and let's have a party atmosphere!! Share the event below and Spread the Word At the very least it'll be a great day out!!!

Just got this to my Inbox on Facebook and i'd say it might hold some weight as the person that sent it has 250,000 followers and growing by the minute. The group calls itself Fairplay=Replay

Mods move if you feel it doesn't belong here

I think the key statement here is in bold

The people involved haven't a clue about football, the FAI, FFIA, FFF or Henry.

they only want an excuse for a Saturday afternoon piss up,

If this happens I expect to see lots of leprechaun costumes and silly over sized hats, expect a few bars of ole, ole ole also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭mathie

mixednuts wrote: »
    Slick ,
    If he is vilified its his own doing . I am sorry but he is a wan**er .
    Here are my top 6 reasons why ....

1.)The blatant handball **cough , double handball .
    2.)The Celebration .
    3.)Sitting with Dunne on the pitch ..what a P.R exercise , knowing the camera on them.
    4.)The Post match (smug) interview and denials.
    5.)The twisting of the knife with the "exploit" statement.
    6.The call for a replay after the FIFA Statement , not before .
    7 .)For being French ..joke , take that one out !

M.

Couldn't agree more.

You could see after Gallas scored that Henry had a pensive look on his face. He claims it was a split second natural reaction but it was after that, when Gallas scored that he'd time to think. It was right there that he made a decision to cheat. He's a cheater full stop. He tried to con the referee numerous times in the game. Very obvious was a throw in that he claimed but blatantly wasn't his.

He's a cheat and he's been found out big time.

If we get video technology out of this I think it's a result.

If this happens I expect to see lots of leprechaun costumes and silly over sized hats, expect a few bars of ole, ole ole also

A better protest than this one tomorrow would be...

At the draw for the World Cup groups (next month) a small gathering outside the arena with reference to the FAIR PLAY **cough lack of ) within FIFA .
    You will have every single Media Group from around the world there , and they would definitely give some airtime .
    Lets not forget this issue has gone worldwide.

M.
    (p.s) This idea is not for a rematch but change for Vid Tech & change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

All this protest march stuff is silly but......
    Why do you think the organisers wanting to have a "party atmosphere" means they "haven't a clue about football"? Would have thought that encouraging a jovial athmosphere (as opposed to an aggressive one) would be wise from a PR perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭mmafan81

Personally i think its hilarious that people are organising marches and petitions to get the match replayed...as if FIFA give a ****.

Fair enough we all feel hard done by but these thing happen in football all the time and other clubs/countrys dont get results overturned or replays so why should we be any different.

Lets face it we all knew there was a mistake waiting to happen as soon as O'Shea went off and it did.

What a PR exercise by Henry,Priceless.....he'll have us all fooled yet :rolleyes:

P.S. Protests and petitions for video evidence and change in that respect are prob a good idea but i dont see it making much headway if managers of top clubs and countrys arent being listened to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

mathie wrote: »
    Very obvious was a throw in that he claimed but blatantly wasn't his.

because nobody's ever done that...:rolleyes:

if that's an example of what constitutes honesty in a football player, well then, we may as well give up now.

my point is, try not to completely judge his entire career and his whole character on this.

he was a cheating sc*mbag wednesday night though, i'm not disputing that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

:rolleyes:

Yes you are right....

Maybe you should take your head out of the sand next time Ireland are playing....

Where else would I see lots of leprechaun costumes and silly over sized hats??

Where else could I expect to hear a few bars of ole, ole ole ???

Oh yes,

On the IRISH supporters at an IRISH international game....

This is the Irish way of protesting, power to the peope I say....

*me walks off humming ... Olé... Olé, Olé, Olé.... Olé.... Olé! now wheres that green top hat....*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Morphéus wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Yes you are right....

Maybe you should take your head out of the sand next time Ireland are playing....

Where else would I see lots of leprechaun costumes and silly over sized hats??

Where else could I expect to hear a few bars of ole, ole ole ???

Oh yes,

On the IRISH supporters at an IRISH international game....

This is the Irish way of protesting, power to the peope I say....

*me walks off humming ... Olé... Olé, Olé, Olé.... Olé.... Olé! now wheres that green top hat....*

My point is the people who are organizing this thought it up while out drinking last night.

Firstly they suggest a march to the FAI HQ

Secondly they don't know where the FAI HQ actually is

And they end up on a march to the French Embassy

It has all the signs of a bunch of students who have come up with a reason to have a piss up after wards

No self respecting Irish fan, leprechaun costumes and silly over sized hats wearing or not, would not be seen within a million miles of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Hobart wrote: »
    I think Roy should keep his nose out of it.

Roy Keane was a great player.

Roy Keane is not a great manager.

The vitriol and viciousness of this attack (watch the utter hate in his face) is totally out of order.

Who was the manager who brought Paul McShane to Sunderland? Roy Keane

The man has become a parody of himself.

He says Ireland must move on and then brings up Saipan to complain that he didn't get a call from an FAI suit. Smacks of pettiness to be honest.

Ireland should have defended the (offside) free kick better. Yeah, a la Ipswich this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Agricola wrote: »
    Somewhere along the line, FIFA must realize that its not good enough to quote a rule book and openly admit that, even though Ireland suffered a complete injustice, because the rulebook says the referees word is final, that makes it all fine and dandy.

I agree in principle that FIFA are just quoting the almighty rulebook to suit themselves in this case. They'd change the rule very quickly if it suited them. However replaying this game would set a precedent, after that what would stop any team demanding a replay after a dodgy refereeing decision? Bear in mind we get controversial ref decisions almost every week in the premier league, champions league etc, and sometimes they can be real howlers. The only chance of a replay is if the French FA offered us one, and they're not going to. Personally I think they should, but it seems they're not going to and that's the end of it.

I'm sure I'm not the only one getting really sick of Roy and his opinion on bloody everything. He really needs to shut the fcuk up at this stage, and concentrate on what he gets paid to do, e.g shoring up his leaky Ipswich defence.

Now I know the reporters probably asked him about it fair enough, but he didn't need to go slagging off the FAI and John Delaney and raking up old ground. It was just cheap point-scoring.

• Advertisement

mmafan81 wrote: »
    P.S. Protests and petitions for video evidence and change in that respect are prob a good idea but i dont see it making much headway if managers of top clubs and countrys arent being listened to.

I think we should passively try to drag this out as much as possible via the web, social networks, emails, etc. Not in order to get a replay (which is not the solution) but as a collective "Enough is enough" to divers, cheaters and charlatans in the game.

The more noise we make the more FIFA will have to at least seriously contemplate the introduction of a video ref, umpires behind the goals, stern retrospective punishments for cheating and simulation. Ideally, infractions should be scaled as in rugby:

a) blatant diving in order to get a penalty would merit a retrospective red card and three match ban;
    b) feigning injury red card and one match ban
    c) seriously dangerous play red card one match ban depending on the incident

It's only when players start missing games for these offences that they will stop. If these kind of sanctions were introduced diving and henry-esque incidents would disappear in a matter of weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

just mentioned this protest on rte radio1 news now :/

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

A protest march? :D

This is becoming incredibly embarrassing. I seriously hope someone is on a windup :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I think the FAI look like a bunch of morons for submitting a replay request, citing the Uzbek-Bahrain match. It show a basic failure to grasp the laws of football. It was a completely different situation. The referee made a technical error in applying the rules by awarding a free out instead of a penalty retake. There was no doubt about what had happened, but the ref applied the law incorrectly. In our case, like it or not, the ref didn't actually do anything wrong. He missed the handball, as did the linesman (somehow) but he made his decision correctly on the basis of what he saw.
    Also, the Uzbek-Bahrain match was the first of a two-leg playoff. Which Uzbekistan won 1-0. Then demanded a 3-0 default win cos of the error, FIFA gave a replay, and they ended up drawing the replay 1-1 and the second leg 0-0 and went out, so it bit them in the ass.

bobbyg wrote: »
    Don't think we cheated in the Georgia game though.

Apart from Robbie Keane deliberately handling the ball to control it seconds before the penalty was awarded?
    The same Robbie Keane who tried to get away with deliberately controlling the ball with his hand at least three times on Wednesday night. And has been known to throw himself on his arse looking for frees.

There's a lot of coverage of FIFA's fair play campaign. Yeah, cheating stinks. But that's separate from the laws of the game and there's nothing in there at the moment which allows for a replay.

The Irish Times editorial today makes a bizarre comment about having to remember years back to Robbie Fowler turning down a penalty. Andrei Arshavin tried to do the same thing last year before being dragged away by a teammate. And the Sky Sports comment at the time was that his manager should ahve a word with him, cos you don't turn down penalties. (the same Sky who now have Henry's handball on continuous loop)

If you're going to blame anyone for the whole situation:
    - Henry did what any player in that situation would do. It was more blatant than most, but I've seen worse (Stephen Henchoz punching the ball clear in a Liverpool-Arsenal FA cup match springs to mind). Keane regularly tries something similar, two years ago Drogba was scoring every week after bringing the ball down with his hand. With the amount of money in professional football today, winning is everything. It's not how we'd all like it, but that's the way it is;
    - the ref didn't have a hope of seeing it from his position. Maybe his positioning could be questioned, but that's about all the blame that can go his way;
    - the linesman should have seen it - although from one angle Gallas in the middle is possibly blocking his view;
    - FIFA for some reason have consistently refused to implement video technology. The problem could be solved overnight if they did. Retrospective yellows, reds and bans would quickly wipe out "professional" fouls.

I'm as gutted as anyone Ireland aren't through. I was hoping to head over to South Africa next summer. But inane rants at Henry, or the ref, or the French, many of them alarmingly tinged with a touch of Francophobia, just make me embarrassed to be an Irish football fan.

The only ones who can possibly be blamed for this are FIFA, for failing to implement video before now. The best that can come out of this is that all the pressure will finally force them to do so.

Apart from that, we're not going to the world cup, so let's just get on with our lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

drkpower wrote: »
    Just cheat, FFs.

Cheat on my exam??? your having a laugh!
    1. I have never cheated in my life
    2. Im not Henry
    3. I am a believer in karma and what goes around comes around.

This thread is supposed to be about whether or not the match should be replayed.
    I have 3 problems with the result of the match the other night.
    A) first of all, two french players were off side - against the rules
    B) Henry not only handled the ball once, but TWICE - also against the rules
    C) they celebrated the goal, even though they got it froma handball and proceeded to admit it after the match. - just rubbing it in our faces.

FFF are not going to give us a replay because they know that Ireland are the better side and would beat them to the World cup in a fair match.
    FIFA are a bunch of old fuddy duddy burecrats who refuse get with the times and would rather see cheating and corruption persist in football, in order to keep making money, than try and correct mistakes and clean up the game.

FIFA should stop preaching about reform in football and respect and fair play and actually do the right thing and impliment the rules and technology! Its done in every other sport. tennis, rugby being the main examples. they changes the rules in Rugby Union a while back about going into the rook from the side, it took a while but every one got used to it. what makes soccer such a special case that they cant bring in new rules or technology. TV refs and replays have only improved other sports, why not soccer too????

and finally! I quote from FIFA.com
    "
    WHAT WE STAND FOR
    Our core values of authenticity, unity, performance and integrity are at the very heart of who we are.
    Authenticity. We believe that football must remain a simple, beautiful game played by, enjoyed by and touching the lives of all people far and wide
    Unity. We believe it is FIFA´s responsibility to foster unity within the football world and to use football to promote solidarity, regardless of gender, ethnic background, faith or culture
    Performance. We believe that FIFA must strive to deliver football of the highest quality and as the best possible experience, be it as a player, as a spectacle, or as a major cultural and social enabler throughout the world
    Integrity. We believe that, just as the game itself, FIFA must be a model of fair play, tolerance, sportsmanship and transparency"

and.............

Fair-Play Code

The FIFA Fair Play Code for football encapsulates all of the sporting, moral and ethical principles for which FIFA has always stood and for which it will continue to fight in the future, regardless of the influences and pressures that may be brought to bear.
    The ten golden rules not only serve as a credo for FIFA as world football's governing body, but they also reinforce the sense of fraternity and cooperation among the members of the worldwide football family.
    1. Play fair
    Winning is without value if victory has been achieved unfairly or dishonestly. Cheating is easy, but brings no pleasure. Playing fair requires courage and character. It is also more satisfying. Fair play always has its reward, even when the game is lost. Playing fair earns respect, while cheating only brings shame. Remember: it is only a game. And games are pointless unless played fairly.

http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/worldwideprograms/footballforhope/fairplay/code.html
    if you want to read the rest.

I didnt intend this post to be that long. Sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

SlickRic wrote: »
    because nobody's ever done that...:rolleyes:

if that's an example of what constitutes honesty in a football player, well then, we may as well give up now.

my point is, try not to completely judge his entire career and his whole character on this.

he was a cheating sc*mbag wednesday night though, i'm not disputing that.

Oh come on, if soccer players can't even be honest about who's throw it is then the game is in serious problems.

Thats the way it should be looked at IMO. There is too much money in cheating and getting away with it and it needs to be countered with massive fines and bans for cheating which should include being dishonest to the ref. If a player honestly doesn't know he can say so but if he does know, lies and tv footage shows afterwards he lies then penalise the crap out of him and you'll soon clean the sport up.

The game is too much about deceit and skill is only getting a passing mention after so many games its a joke at this stage. Stop the controversy, clean the sport up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

In retrospect, I should have made it a lot bigger, but I underestimated the size of the sign.

Place: FIFA HQ, Zürich.
    Translation: Sepp Blatter, Shame on you

96780626025334836724_thumb.jpg

81984258926650529176_thumb.jpg

51283953652506163648_thumb.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Time for the FAI to take this to the courts. Bitterness :mad:
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5707835,00.html

probably could sue them for loss of revenue! If Ireland got to the world cup the FAI etc would make a fortune. tickets, travel packages etc.

The french wont replay coz they know they would loose!!!! Im soooooooo mad!!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

I don't know if it's been brought up already (can't keep up with the threads!).

A pearl of wisdom from Arsene Wenger:

“The best solution would be technology. The biggest anger for me is that we are in 2009 still sitting here with a billion people seeing what happened and one guy that doesn’t, and you cannot help him."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I know well that we arent going to get a replay but im also very happy with what the FAI are doing and hope they keep pushing

but what i really want is this incident is to be a catalyst for a change in the game.

I hate this stance about having human error in the game, tell that to teams that have been relegated by bad referring or managers getting the sack

and that bull**** about have 2 refs behind the goal is rubbish, just ask fulham

I just done understand why FIFA wont even trial video referring

• Advertisement

Here here! rugby have had video technology for ages, and it didnt take them that long to introduce it! I think it could only improve things, as Ive said before, and if ever there was a case for FIFA to do it, it is our case!

Cool_CM wrote: »

Place: FIFA HQ, Zürich.
    Translation: Sepp Blatter, Shame on you

Scham dich?

Sham dick. I think that just about perfectly sums up all involved ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

johnp wrote: »
    A protest march? :D

This is becoming incredibly embarrassing. I seriously hope someone is on a windup :D
    Emm it's no joke. I'm one of the people going tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Bandit12 wrote: »

fair play mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

I posted this spoof post yesterday:
    Reuters:

A group calling itself "Justice for The Boys in Green" has announced it is to march on the French Embassy in Dublin on Saturday next in protest at the manner of Ireland's defeat to France in last night's World Cup Qualifier.

Organisers have said they expect a crowd of up to 10,000 to participate in the march. There will be a heavy police presence despite assurances from the organisers that the group believes in peaceful protest.

I should do the lotto tomorrow night!

Scien wrote: »
    This attitude pisses me off no end.
    Why should Johnny Baguette be allowed to head to SA this Summer instead of you or me?

It really hit home for me today. When you think ahead to next June we'll be sitting on our Couches watching random Countries play in the biggest Competition in the World, when realistically we should be in the thick of it, hugging randomers from Westport, Listowel and Naas after Doyler nicks a goal from North Korea in the first round.
    Sorry, but having to wait another 5 years for another slim chance at a World Cup finals is not something i can just 'get on with'.

Regards,
    Scien (Barstooler) & Bavaria 4.3%.

I totally agree!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

Why should Johnny Baguette be allowed to head to SA this Summer instead of you or me?

It really hit home for me today. When you think ahead to next June we'll be sitting on our Couches watching random Countries play in the biggest Competition in the World, when realistically we should be in the thick of it, hugging randomers from Westport, Listowel and Naas after Doyler nicks a goal from North Korea in the first round.
    Sorry, but having to wait another 5 years for another slim chance at a World Cup finals is not something i can just 'get on with'.

Regards,
    Scien (Barstooler) & Bavaria 4.3%.

well said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭GO'S

lads if this was one of the big nations(teams that fifa changed the seeds so they could get through) in ireland position they would definetely be getting a reply...disgraceful

• Advertisement

Bandit12 wrote: »

What do you hope to achieve?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

GO'S wrote: »
    lads if this was one of the big nations(teams that fifa changed the seeds so they could get through) in ireland position they would definetely be getting a reply...disgraceful

No they wouldn't get a replay.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    No they wouldn't get a replay.

Correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

No, whats done is done

would potentially open up a can of worms for the future, what it may bring about in the future is the technology we have all been wanting for the game

We had our chances to win the game, they werent taken. the way he scored was absolutely sickening, but, and im not saying this cause of Keanes comments today, you can check the match thread to see i said it that night, it was the woeful defending that was responsible for that goal in the first place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Just got back from Paris last night. Went to the game and it was unreal. Best atmosphere I've ever experienced, from us.

The thing that annoys me is that Ireland played above themselves, got a well worked goal, had amazing support home and away, and yet it is France that qualify. France who massively underachieved in qualification. France who's team is an embarrassment to the country due to in-team fighting and the FA's decision to keep Domenech. France, who's 70,000 supporters did nothing during the match last night until they scored. Personally I think the World Cup is worse for having them.

There were no celebrations by the French supporters outside the ground and the only football fans making noise in the city were us and the Algerians. They don't seem bothered at all and almost seem to take it for granted.

Every French person I spoke to today apologised to me and said we deserved to go through. The supporters leaving the stadium stopped at the barriers to commiserate with us, and all the French news channels are saying how we were robbed!! Why shouldn't it be replayed? Everyone can see the blatant injustice that happened and even the French are embarrassed to have qualified ahead of us.

Just like the original Hand of God incident launched FIFA's Fair Play policy, this incident should result in new regulations being brought in for matches like this and eventually all. This wasn't just a league match (no matter how important), this was an all or nothing chance to reach the greatest single sport event in the world and we were robbed of that invitation by a combination of a cheating Frenchman and couple of blind officials.

I don't blame Henry solely for this but yet I don't feel that he has a right to sympathise with us. He's acting apologetic now and trying to take the moral high ground by coming out and asking for a replay (coincidently AFTER Fifa made their decision) but if he felt so strongly about cheating and fair play then he should have done a Di Canio and flagged his infringement to the official.

I've never been so proud to be Irish. We played them off the park on Wednesday night. Got stuck in and stopped them playing like they should given their squad of world class players. The boys and Trappatoni did our country proud and should be commended for their effort. Just sick that they won't get a chance to represent us at the World Cup.

I've been waiting since last night to get this off my chest so apologies for the long rant.

Here's a couple of videos I took at the game itself. This is what South Africa will miss...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m1TqgdXNi8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENbqFQtUd0s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

sports_movie_villains_9.jpg

"Ain't gonna be no rematch."

"...Don't want one."

peejay1986 wrote: »
    Just got back from Paris last night. Went to the game and it was unreal. Best atmosphere I've ever experienced, from us.

The thing that annoys me is that Ireland played above themselves, got a well worked goal, had amazing support home and away, and yet it is France that qualify. France who massively underachieved in qualification. France who's team is an embarrassment to the country due to in-team fighting and the FA's decision to keep Domenech. France, who's 70,000 supporters did nothing during the match last night until they scored. Personally I think the World Cup is worse for having them.

There were no celebrations by the French supporters outside the ground and the only football fans making noise in the city were us and the Algerians. They don't seem bothered at all and almost seem to take it for granted.

Every French person I spoke to today apologised to me and said we deserved to go through. The supporters leaving the stadium stopped at the barriers to commiserate with us, and all the French news channels are saying how we were robbed!! Why shouldn't it be replayed? Everyone can see the blatant injustice that happened and even the French are embarrassed to have qualified ahead of us.

Just like the original Hand of God incident launched FIFA's Fair Play policy, this incident should result in new regulations being brought in for matches like this and eventually all. This wasn't just a league match (no matter how important), this was an all or nothing chance to reach the greatest single sport event in the world and we were robbed of that invitation by a combination of a cheating Frenchman and couple of blind officials.

I don't blame Henry solely for this but yet I don't feel that he has a right to sympathise with us. He's acting apologetic now and trying to take the moral high ground by coming out and asking for a replay (coincidently AFTER Fifa made their decision) but if he felt so strongly about cheating and fair play then he should have done a Di Canio and flagged his infringement to the official.

I've never been so proud to be Irish. We played them off the park on Wednesday night. Got stuck in and stopped them playing like they should given their squad of world class players. The boys and Trappatoni did our country proud and should be commended for their effort. Just sick that they won't get a chance to represent us at the World Cup.

I've been waiting since last night to get this off my chest so apologies for the long rant.

Here's a couple of videos I took at the game itself. This is what South Africa will miss...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m1TqgdXNi8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENbqFQtUd0s

Sorry not to highlight your entire post (thanks for posting, great post), but one thing that pisses me off is that the way we played and the fact that we beat the French in France for the first time ever is nearly being glossed over by the Henry incident and replays and the rest.
    We were absolutely fantastic. Totally agree, incredibly proud to be Irish, we showed what we can do, and it's nights and performances like that that we live for. I understand that we can't always have those performances, but we always aspire to that, and it'll live long in the memory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

johnp wrote: »
    What do you hope to achieve?
    A silly question. A replay of course.

I think a replay would be the fairest decision to make. Not surprised by Sarkozy's comments, it's obviously in his coffer's best interests that France goes to the World Cup. In these times, that appears to be up ahead of what's morally correct.

FIFA also have vested interests, I suspect. Whether it be upholding some nonsensical integrity they want to sport to keep (such as that drivel on Vincent Brown last night about "the game being the same game played world over) or even financial interests. I'd be more inclined to suspect the latter. It's terribly unfair. I think a replay is the fairest option, and if they really want to maintain the intergrity of the sport and FIFA, it must be done.

I'm happy there are people protesting. Standing up and arguing is more of what's needed in this country.

jumpguy wrote: »
    A silly question. A replay of course.

I think a replay would be the fairest decision to make. Not surprised by Sarkozy's comments, it's obviously in his coffer's best interests that France goes to the World Cup. In these times, that appears to be up ahead of what's morally correct.

FIFA also have vested interests, I suspect. Whether it be upholding some nonsensical integrity they want to sport to keep (such as that drivel on Vincent Brown last night about "the game being the same game played world over) or even financial interests. I'd be more inclined to suspect the latter. It's terribly unfair. I think a replay is the fairest option, and if they really want to maintain the intergrity of the sport and FIFA, it must be done.

I'm happy there are people protesting. Standing up and arguing is more of what's needed in this country.

Maybe a silly question, but a replay is a silly hope and would be horribly detrimental to the game.
    It is unfair, but it happens all the time. Utd had an unlucky goal to Chelsea, Liverpool had a beachball, Spurs had a goal that was 2 foot over the line, and we could go on and on and on.
    Replaying the game would have a massive impact on the sport.
    It shouldn't happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Johnny Baguette?
    Sorry, but having to wait another 5 years for another slim chance at a World Cup finals is not something i can just 'get on with'. .

Well then you've got a problem, because there isn't going to be a replay, so I don't see what choice you have but to wait another 5 years.

Also, they're not random countries, they're the ones who did enough to qualify, which we didn't. If we'd taken half the chances we had I'd have my flights booked and be scouring the web for hotel deals right now.

Everyone's talking as if we were winning and conceded a last minute goal to put us out, and ignoring the fact that there was still another 15 minutes to go, which would only have earned us penalties. And lets forget the 3 points we got against Georgia, thanks partly to Robbie Keane deliberately handling the ball and getting away with it.

This isn't even the most screwed over we've ever been in a match - there's a game against Israel a few years ago that stands out as having possibly the most rubbish refereeing decisions against us I've ever seen.

Advertisement