Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water damaged mobile phone

• 19-11-2009 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭

Yeah. Not cool. Is there a chance of saving a really old Nokia that's been soaking in a little puddle of Coke for like.. eight hours? Apparently Subway paper cups aren't particularly trustworthy and decided to take out my poor innocent phone with its leaking river of doom.

What are its chances? I can't afford a new phone. :(

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

hmm take it apart, wipe what you can with a dry cloth and hope theres no lasting damage, iv had a phone years ago that was dropped in a full sink, dried it out. wrapped it in a towel and left it in the hot press for a day or so and it was fine after that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I dropped mine in the sink once. It would never switch on again but I would suggest leaving it in the hotpress for a few hours and see if it drys out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Take as much of it apart as you can, then put it in the hot press for 2 days and keep your fingers crossed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Friend dropped her phone into a pint of Guinness before, she left it on a rad for 24 hours, worked no problems afterwards. Not sure about coke, but give it a shot!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Bryn wrote: »
    keep your fingers crossed!!

And your legs

I'm just kidding, ride away!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Banter Joe

Don't try turning it on until you've dried it out, as the coke could cause a short circuit, if it hasn't already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Normally would say what was said but eight hours!! You never know though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

Hope it works again for you happened to me before,turned on perfect could see everything looked great,But the led was dead and couldn't ring out or in or text.Ended up selling it for 20 euro to Phone recycling,Brand new phone to it was :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Supposedly putting it in a bowl of rice will help soak everything up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

It's liquid damaged so pretty much gone. You can bring it to one of those indepedent phone repair shops and they can try alcohol on it to clean the pcb and remove some moisture.

If you see a green mold on the charging pins then it's only a matter of time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

Im told the best thing to do is take off the covers battery everything you can and put them all into a jar of rice for a few hours/ a day. Even better is using silica gel from shoe packets. Ive never tried it but it was recommended by household hacker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Moved to Mobiles & PDAs.

Take out the battery straight away, the liquid and battery charge can ruin the circuitry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Liahg stick the phone in a bag of rice for a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

Liahg stick the phone in a bag of rice for a week.

....then boil the rice over a medium heat for 20 minutes and eat,enjoying the subtle taste of coca cola. Dunno what to do with the phone,though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

remove the battery soak in warm water for a few minutes then place on hot rad or in the hot press for a day or so as once there's no power going to it the PCB should be fine,

reason for soaking in warm water the sugar in the coke will destroy and corrode the solder joints over time so it is best to remove this as much as possible if you can get your hands on some Isopropyl alcohol you could pur this inside before putting on the rad also as it will chase a lot of the water out of the circuits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

peterk19 wrote: »
    remove the battery soak in warm water for a few minutes then place on hot rad or in the hot press for a day or so as once there's no power going to it the PCB should be fine,

reason for soaking in warm water the sugar in the coke will destroy and corrode the solder joints over time so it is best to remove this as much as possible if you can get your hands on some Isopropyl alcohol you could pur this inside before putting on the rad also as it will chase a lot of the water out of the circuits

Yes simply drying wont work, you have to rinse all parts that were exposed to the coke to remove the sugars which is far worse than water damage alone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

was there anything else in the coke like ??? Vodka!!

Advertisement