Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters in Economics in TCD? Advice needed..

Options
  • 19-11-2009 2:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi,

I am looking at doing below Masters in Economics possibly part time in TCD:

http://www.tcd.ie/Graduate_Studies/p...p?course_id=35

I have a couple of questions and looking for some advice/opinions:

I am 34. I have worked for 10 yrs. in IT. I hold a Business Degree(Economics & Finance) 2:2 and I also hold a Post Grad in IT 2:1

Should this be sufficient to get entry? I have a 2:2 in Primary Degree and 2:1 in Post Grad.

I always loved Economics. I just feel like I want to back to what I studied on my 4 year degree as opposed to working in a career that I studied for 1 year on a Post Grad. I guess I feel like I have never used my degree and that makes me sad as I worked very hard on it.

If I do this Masters what sort of salary could I earn as say a Research Economist?
    I earn around €100K currently. I know I will not get anywhere near that. What other roles would it allow me to do?

TCD told me that I can do a GRE which may also help with my application.

http://www.ets.org/portal/site/ets/m...0022f95190RCRD

Is TCD the most recognised place to do this as opposed to the MA in UCD?

Or is it just a stupid idea that I even consider such a change? I have just been unhappy lately and my heart is calling me to this.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Jizzer

bump...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

No your grades wont be sufficient to get you a place on an economic masters.
    Sorry for the bluntness but with a 2:2 economics degree- you would need to do a diploma in economics first and get at least a 2:1 in that

No your grades wont be sufficient to get you a place on an economic masters.
    Sorry for the bluntness but with a 2:2 economics degree- you would need to do a diploma in economics first and get at least a 2:1 in that

I rang UCD today and they told me that they would consider me and that the 2:1 requirement was in terms of the grades i got in my economics subjects.

With the Diploma alone is there much career prospects? Can the diploma be done at night anywhere? The one in UCD is full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Jizzer wrote: »
    I rang UCD today and they told me that they would consider me and that the 2:1 requirement was in terms of the grades i got in my economics subjects.

With the Diploma alone is there much career prospects? Can the diploma be done at night anywhere? The one in UCD is full time.

What was the average of your economics subjects?
    I dont mean to be an ass but I'd be very surprised- they'll consider it alright but they will have sufficient applicants with overall 2:1 degrees

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 261 ✭✭blucey

key issue is - hows your math?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

well I for one think it would be bad economics to give up a 100k a year job in IT to do a masters in Economics. then again thats just a laymans opinion.

if you are planning to keep on your job and do a masters part-time prepare to kiss your free-time/social life goodbye.

Am suprised that an Irish college would not accept you with the grades you have and considering the fact that you have almost 10 years real life business experience behind you.

good luck with it whatever you decide to do.. take it from me you have done v.well to have brought your career to where you are at in terms of earning potential

OT have economists become the new celebrity chefs :) ?

well I for one think it would be bad economics to give up a 100k a year job in IT to do a masters in Economics. then again thats just a laymans opinion.

if you are planning to keep on your job and do a masters part-time prepare to kiss your free-time/social life goodbye.

Am suprised that an Irish college would not accept you with the grades you have and considering the fact that you have almost 10 years real life business experience behind you.

good luck with it whatever you decide to do.. take it from me you have done v.well to have brought your career to where you are at in terms of earning potential

OT have economists become the new celebrity chefs :) ?

Gollem - its not about the grades, per se. As a director of a pg masters I will always look at people with business experience as well as grades below the min. But then I run a business masters... Econ, as I know, is a technical and demanding degree at pg level, requiring analytical and intellectual skills. Whether it should be or not isnt the issue here. If this person can show that their math skills are at the leve required, then they can engage in a fruitful debate. else, no...alas... i would say

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

I am 34. I have worked for 10 yrs. in IT. I hold a Business Degree(Economics & Finance) 2:2 and I also hold a Post Grad in IT 2:1

Should this be sufficient to get entry? I have a 2:2 in Primary Degree and 2:1 in Post Grad.
    Only a maybe.
    I always loved Economics. I just feel like I want to back to what I studied on my 4 year degree as opposed to working in a career that I studied for 1 year on a Post Grad. I guess I feel like I have never used my degree and that makes me sad as I worked very hard on it.
    "Real" Economics may be a lot to what you studied as an undergrad. I'm not saying you'll definitely be surprised, but a lot of people are. Just be sure you know what you're jumping into. Economics these days is either number-crunching (econometrics - applied statistics) or mathematical modelling (micro or macro) or both (micro or macro models tested on data).
    If I do this Masters what sort of salary could I earn as say a Research Economist?
    With an M.Sc you'd be a research assistant rather than full-on researcher. Starting salaries are in the range of €24k-€32k in places like the ESRI. There aren't many jobs in Ireland so I'm placing a pretty large bracket around that figure because the UK would have to be seriously considered. Getting a job in the civil service (in Finance or ComReg or something) where you wouldn't be doing research but using your economic logic would have a reasonable salary trajectory, but not up to your current income.
    I earn around €100K currently. I know I will not get anywhere near that. What other roles would it allow me to do?
    An M.Sc. with (I presume) programming skills is actually quite a nice combination. The banks, if they ever start hiring again, would be quite interested in you, for example.
    TCD told me that I can do a GRE which may also help with my application.

http://www.ets.org/portal/site/ets/m...0022f95190RCRD
    If you did very well on the quantitative section (which would happen if you have a knack for maths), then I suspect you'd be let in. This is because, these days, economics = maths.
    Is TCD the most recognised place to do this as opposed to the MA in UCD?
    Yes. But if you're staying in Ireland/UK, they're pretty equivalent. If you want to do a PhD in the US, for example, then you may be better with TCD.
    Or is it just a stupid idea that I even consider such a change? I have just been unhappy lately and my heart is calling me to this.
    I'd be wary of doing it. You have until about September to think about it so be sure you know what you'd be getting yourself into. If possible, I'd stay on very good terms with your current employer so you could jump back on-board if needed. If that could be arranged, then there's less of a risk.
    With the Diploma alone is there much career prospects?
    No, it's an entry mechanism into the MA tbh.
    Can the diploma be done at night anywhere? The one in UCD is full time.
    I don't think so. The hours aren't too bad though, you might be able to do it part-time.
    I dont mean to be an ass but I'd be very surprised- they'll consider it alright but they will have sufficient applicants with overall 2:1 degrees
    I wouldn't be "very surprised". The main concern would be the quantitative ability and programmers often have this in spades. If I were you, I'd call Carol Newman to discuss the possibility in a "what if..." kind of way. It'll give you an idea.
    blucey wrote: »
    key issue is - hows your math?
    Bingo.
    It's not bad economics if he'd be a happier person.
    Real life experience doesn't count for much in Economics. It's all maths and stats these days.

Thanks for the replies all.

And Time Magazine..thanks for the detailed reply. :)

I have been working largely in Financial Services and Banking for most of my career. I work as an IT Consultant/Developer and have been contracting for 6years now.

I think I am just going through a bit if a stage in my career/life when I am analysing things..or maybe I am panicking.

I sometimes feel that I did a degree that I am not using and which I worked very hard at for 4 yrs and I did a 1 yr Post Grad and that is my work now. I guess I'd like to use my degree somehow.

Anyway, maybe I need to appreciate what I have and accept that. I do enjoy what I do. I just want to use my degree after doing it for 4 years and not see it as a waste. And I guess that is what made me think about this. I started to think about my degree this week (for a reason I do not know) and started thinking "Why did I spend 4 yrs at it when I did a 1 yr course and and that is my job"

I should probably be looking at a Masters in IT. Any I look at though seem to add no real value as far as I can see?

Anyway, thanks for all the info and advice..I guess I need to take some time out and get my head straight.. :)

Thanks for the replies all.

And Time Magazine..thanks for the detailed reply. :)

I have been working largely in Financial Services and Banking for most of my career. I work as an IT Consultant/Developer and have been contracting for 6years now.

I think I am just going through a bit if a stage in my career/life when I am analysing things..or maybe I am panicking.

I sometimes feel that I did a degree that I am not using and which I worked very hard at for 4 yrs and I did a 1 yr Post Grad and that is my work now. I guess I'd like to use my degree somehow.

Anyway, maybe I need to appreciate what I have and accept that. I do enjoy what I do. I just want to use my degree after doing it for 4 years and not see it as a waste. And I guess that is what made me think about this. I started to think about my degree this week (for a reason I do not know) and started thinking "Why did I spend 4 yrs at it when I did a 1 yr course and and that is my job"

I should probably be looking at a Masters in IT. Any I look at though seem to add no real value as far as I can see?

Anyway, thanks for all the info and advice..I guess I need to take some time out and get my head straight.. :)

why not look at a masters in finance/quant finance ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

you may have worked hard at your degree course for 4 years but to be earning 100k in an IT job you must have worked hard for twice as many years on pursuing your current career.

i was listening to the new british ambassador speaking to Pat Kenny and he said his degree course was Theology and Philosophy ( i think PK has an engineering degree )

i.e. you don't need to be doing something that directly relates to your primary degree

Advertisement