Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oooh...the guilt..

• 19-11-2009 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

I'm new to modifying cars, infact I havent done anything to my car yet appart from getting lower profile tires onto my stock 15" non-alloy wheels and "the norht face" sticker on the boot lid.
    But today I ordered a koni STR-T kit from the UK....and the guilt is killing me..I keep thinking that those 400 euro could have been better spent on the first borne (which i have) or herself. (BTW not going to do the swap myself, so the job will cost another 300 :eek:, but they will also install rear lower control arm bushings from Audi TT)..
    So for all you hard core modders...does it get easyer, or should I got to church?

03 VW TDI est (PD100).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

your screwed now, kiss goodbye to your financial security forever and welcome to the modification scene :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭p-nut

Why are you installing lower control arm bushings from a TT? What difference will that make?

Changing suspension isn't hard at all, give it a bash yourself, whats the worst that could happen. I'm not a mechanic but i've fitted coilovers/shocks/lowering springs to 3 of my previous cars, and will be doing it to my current car when the weather gets better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

I think he means lower control arm bushings from a TT roadster the are stiffer.

Welcome to the world of spending loads of money no your car that you will never see again :D

The first on which i spend a shed load of money was a 100pd golf :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Unless you have a spring compressor good luck, aul spring in the forehead doesn't look great these days ;)

retrothis wrote: »
    BTW not going to do the swap myself,

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What's the point in getting lower profile tyres on standard wheels?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭retrothis

Cheers for all the replies lads.
    Yes the TT bushings are firmer, solid rubber/plastic/whatever...the ones on the golf have holes in the rubber to make them more pliable.
    These supposed to make the steering more responsive.
    Tossy can you remember what mods did you do on your golf?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What's the point in getting lower profile tyres on standard wheels?

The tire wall is lower thus less deflection in the corners, so its more responsive... however the speedo becomes slightly inaccurate then. Tells you that your going faster than you actually are (0.5-2 km/h a rough guess)

In that case, you'd be better off upgrading to 16 or 17 inch wheels with a lower profile. low profile 15's will just look completely wrong, like they're off a Polo or something smaller. not a look you wanna go for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

In that case, you'd be better off upgrading to 16 or 17 inch wheels with a lower profile. low profile 15's will just look completely wrong, like they're off a Polo or something smaller. not a look you wanna go for.

I had 15's on my civic with low profile tyres and it didn't look at all out of place

• Advertisement

Bryn wrote: »
    I had 15's on my civic with low profile tyres and it didn't look at all out of place

This is on a Passat that comes standard with high profile tyres on 15 inch wheels.

I had 15's with 195/50/15 wheels on my old Fiats and they looked huge as the arches were so small. A Passat is a big car with big wheel arches.

Also OP, bear in mind if you're lowering the car and also fitting smaller tyres, it's gonna be very low - what happens when you load the back up?

A civic is a smaller car than a golf 15" steel wheels with low profile tyres on a golf would look funny to me.

retrothis off the top of my head i did the following

18" BBS wheels
    Audi TT brakes
    Koni sport kit (matched springs and shocks)
    De badged - with black front and rear VW badges
    New headlights
    New tail lights
    German plates
    Mk5 rear wiper
    Leather Recaro interior
    TT pedals
    R32 steering wheel
    R32 aluminum trim
    R line gear knob.
    W8 interior light
    Re mapped
    Front and rear V6 valances
    twin exhaust pipes

Thats all i can remember,it was my first car to spend a load of money on and all my money went towards 'show' rather than 'go' :D

Here are a few pics,i miss the diesel fuel economy :D

29446790002_large.jpg

29446790004_large.jpg

29446790008_large.jpg

29446790012_large.jpg

I took it that it was a Passat, maybe it's a Golf. either way, fitting smaller tyres to the standard wheels will look stupid, give worse fuel economy and generally be a bad idea.

I took it that it was a Passat, maybe it's a Golf. either way, fitting smaller tyres to the standard wheels will look stupid, give worse fuel economy and generally be a bad idea.

The standard is 195x65, i fitted 195x60, so not a huge diff in size but smaller than stock. It didn't look bad, wasn't even noticible I would think. But to be honest only noticed a tiny improvement.
    But down he line hoping to get some OEM alloys, 16 or 17 hopefully. These: img.photobucket.com/.../Parts/Wheels005.jpg
    Oh and its a golf estate/wagon....:rolleyes:

Advertisement