Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from Playstation

Options
  • 19-11-2009 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭

Hi mods,

I was recently banned from the Playstation section by Project Mayhem after mentioning that a site I visit is giving away a God of War demo code.

Now, it seems that the mod Project Mayhem has a gaming website and I think that I'm suffering this ban of 14days as he is intimidated by this site which he'd see as clear competition, therefore banning me.

I certainly don't appreciate a ban after simply posting a link.

Can I get some clarification on this?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

You were banned for spam which is something we do not allow. There is no alternative motive behind the banning. If he hadn't seen it before I did, I would've banned you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭eezarthegreat

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    You were banned for spam which is something we do not allow. There is no alternative motive behind the banning. If he hadn't seen it before I did, I would've banned you too.

Well can you define what spamming is on boards as it seems to be a tad bit cloudy?

I posted a link, mentioned the offer and that's it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Like I said in your PM to me, I'll respond to my decision here.

As Kinetic points out, if it wasn't me it'd be someone else.

Posting about competitions is fine, it happens all the time, especially with beta key giveaways, but normally this occurs on large, established sites that don't stand to gain much from a few stragglers going from boards to click "Enter".

In this case, you first linked to your own site (post here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63071836&postcount=1 ) before linking to the forums hosted by your site (links snipped, by the way). The competition entry is done by joining and posting in your forums - which is basically trying to pry users from one forum to another. On top of that, the prize is a an item that is free, and you're likely breaking SCEA's terms of usage by giving it away as a competition piece on your site.

You also posted the same message (same links etc.) on the Gamesnash.ie interaction forum, which has since been deleted.

Not for one second does this look anything like an innocent posting. This is spam. If you wish to advertise I'm sure the lads would be delighted to hear from you via hello@boards.ie

Typically spamming warrants an indefinite ban, but since I don't think you'll spam again and probably want to be an active member, I left it at a few weeks.

EDIT: Also, just to address the idea that I'm intimidated by the fact that I run a gaming website. Don't be so narcissistic. As I said in a PM (but again, you brought it up in public so I'll address it as such), me - the editor of a website - did not take any action, me - the boards.ie moderator - took action. Don't confuse the two, or make accusations as such.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

eezarthegreat

Be aware that I would normally perma siteban you for spamming those links.
    The only reason I haven't is because you have been a member of this site for a while.
    I assure you though, if I catch you doing it again, you are gone for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭eezarthegreat

Beruthiel wrote: »
    eezarthegreat

Be aware that I would normally perma siteban you for spamming those links.
    The only reason I haven't is because you have been a member of this site for a while.
    I assure you though, if I catch you doing it again, you are gone for good.
    Like I said in your PM to me, I'll respond to my decision here.

As Kinetic points out, if it wasn't me it'd be someone else.

Posting about competitions is fine, it happens all the time, especially with beta key giveaways, but normally this occurs on large, established sites that don't stand to gain much from a few stragglers going from boards to click "Enter".

In this case, you first linked to your own site (post here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63071836&postcount=1 ) before linking to the forums hosted by your site (links snipped, by the way). The competition entry is done by joining and posting in your forums - which is basically trying to pry users from one forum to another. On top of that, the prize is a an item that is free, and you're likely breaking SCEA's terms of usage by giving it away as a competition piece on your site.

You also posted the same message (same links etc.) on the Gamesnash.ie interaction forum, which has since been deleted.

Not for one second does this look anything like an innocent posting. This is spam. If you wish to advertise I'm sure the lads would be delighted to hear from you via hello@boards.ie

Typically spamming warrants an indefinite ban, but since I don't think you'll spam again and probably want to be an active member, I left it at a few weeks.

There are some great mods and people here and after a few (un-intended) run-ins with mods I hope this is the last. I am not a spammer but it seems that my links were spamming so apologies for that.

Project Mayhem cleared it up perfectly for me through PM

@Beruthiel

I appreciate what you are trying to say but quotes like "I assure you though, if I catch you doing it again, you are gone for good" don't really encourage people back to boards (which is not what you intend i'm sure).

Thanks for the input though

All the best guys,
    e

• Advertisement
Advertisement