Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newry Shoppers

Options
  • 19-11-2009 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

does anyone care about what is actually happening to our towns by shopping up north all i see these days are D reg cars on the motorway its making me very sad:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

If prices come down there wont be as many cars heading to Newry.

Simple really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 mpindundalk

in fairness though is really worth all that **** on the m1
    are you really saving money
    and how can we complain about the state of the country when were all contributing to the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

Seriously, you need to take yourself here

ah come on lads we might have well watched the match last night IN NEWRY CO,DOWN/ENGLAND

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

ah come on lads we might have well watched the match last night IN NEWRY CO,DOWN/ENGLAND

Since when is Co.Down in England ?

• Advertisement

well is the money you spend going to england or ireland???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

I like to think of it as "money staying in my pocket".

And yes, the savings are huge. On everything.

im new to this and im from co.louth so im sorry if i have offeded anyone

also concerned

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

does anyone care about what is actually happening to our towns by shopping up north all i see these days are D reg cars on the motorway its making me very sad:(
    So you don't like seeing D reg cars on the motorway but other counties are ok :p

On a serious note, I myself care more about my pocket and my family, it's not nice to businesses losing out here but prices are just too high and people don't have the money these days. Would you rather people starve and struggle even more than they are already ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

3090821018_69512e0e2c.jpg

Perhaps the reason they are still all down there is because newry want them there?

hellboy99 wrote: »
    So you don't like seeing D reg cars on the motorway but other counties are ok :p

On a serious note, I myself care more about my pocket and my family, it's not nice to businesses losing out here but prices are just too high and people don't have the money these days. Would you rather people starve and struggle even more than they are already ?

Hellboy I disagree and perhaps you can persuade me back to your belief here. I feel that by shopping in newry its running our local businesses into the ground by not spending here. sure we need to feed the family, but its a bit like binge drinking, that things seem great now and we are under the illusion that we are ''saving'' money when in fact we are losing money because it wont be long before the hangover hits us? am I making sense?
    let me know your thoughts.

Stephen :)

great point stephen

at least someone gets where im coming from

Isn't the Argus printed in Newry :rolleyes:

maybe we should ask them

maybe they do? but i think they always did so i think that counts them out seen as there would have been a day when it was costing them more to get it printed there so i guess you could call it personal preference on there behalf

Hellboy I disagree and perhaps you can persuade me back to your belief here. I feel that by shopping in newry its running our local businesses into the ground by not spending here. sure we need to feed the family, but its a bit like binge drinking, that things seem great now and we are under the illusion that we are ''saving'' money when in fact we are losing money because it wont be long before the hangover hits us? am I making sense?
    let me know your thoughts.

Stephen :)
    Valid points you make, but you can't ignore the fact that there is a major difference in prices and seeing as we are 15 minutes from Newry it's a bit of a no brainer.

Here's one example:

I bought a TV in Curry's last year, in Curry's here in the town it was €1100 and up north the same TV was £800.

Before I went up north to get it I went into my local Curry's to ask if they would match the price or give a discount, I got told no to both, the sales guy wouldn't even throw in a HDMI cable for free mad.gif, so up north I went of course.

Going into the northern store was like walking into a different business, staff were all very friendly, the sales guy I dealt with gave me a HDMI cable worth £40 for free, I bought a few other bits bringing the total to just over a £1000 and at the till he gave me a 10% discount. Is it any wonder people are going up north and businesses are losing out here.

I make savings every week with my grocery shopping up north, we had to do are weekly shop here a few weeks back, got the usual items as we stick to the same each week, what usually costs us €80 up north came to near €120 here, near €40 a week saving, €160 a month, it doesn't take a genius to decide what and where your going to shop. That €160 a month saving is paying the bills, I'm not working at present, thankfully my wife still is, so every bit we can save is great and means we get by.

I do feel for businesses here but I have to put my family and my current situation first, if that means going up north then so be it, our own Tainaiste has told us to shop around and she herself has been seen shopping up north too.

I'm not sure what your point is hellboy, but if its ''Local businesses are spending in Newry'' then they are just to blame as anyone else, nobody is picking on just us consumers within the public domain, but anyone; whether they be of the local business/public consumer chain they should all be shopping down here.

we havnt any evidence to show that businesses are spending up there, so such an accusation of ours that harbours no evidence to sustain it is nothing but a mere strawman.

regardless of what may be happening, both the public and businesses are being greedy ( which is how we got into this mess in the first place ) and are enjoying the honeymoon, but it wont be long before the light goes out and we are in the dark again.

maybe they do? but i think they always did so i think that counts them out seen as there would have been a day when it was costing them more to get it printed there so i guess you could call it personal preference on there behalf
    Our own council have got stuff printed up there too, there's an old saying, "you lead by example" :rolleyes:

Valid points you make, but you can't ignore the fact that there is a major difference in prices and seeing as we are 15 minutes from Newry it's a bit of a no brainer.

Here's one example:

I bought a TV in Curry's last year, in Curry's here in the town it was €1100 and up north the same TV was £800.

Before I went up north to get it I went into my local Curry's to ask if they would match the price or give a discount, I got told no to both, the sales guy wouldn't even throw in a HDMI cable for free mad.gif, so up north I went of course.

Going into the northern store was like walking into a different business, staff were all very friendly, the sales guy I dealt with gave me a HDMI cable worth £40 for free, I bought a few other bits bringing the total to just over a £1000 and at the till he gave me a 10% discount. Is it any wonder people are going up north and businesses are losing out here.

I make savings every week with my grocery shopping up north, we had to do are weekly shop here a few weeks back, got the usual items as we stick to the same each week, what usually costs us €80 up north came to near €120 here, near €40 a week saving, €160 a month, it doesn't take a genius to decide what and where your going to shop. That €160 a month saving is paying the bills, I'm not working at present, thankfully my wife still is, so every bit we can save is great and means we get by.

I do feel for businesses here but I have to put my family and my current situation first, if that means going up north then so be it, our own Tainaiste has told us to shop around and she herself has been seen shopping up north too.

thanks hellboy I understand the dilemma we are in. on one hand they are deceiving us down here, and on the other hand they are deceiving us up the north too. because if we shop up north we drive ourselves into more liquid s.h.i.t and if we shop down here we cant afford it. Its mighty horrible and I'd love to just go to another country to get away from it all.

there should be a write up in the argus and a good protest to stomp it out.

• Advertisement

we havnt any evidence to show that businesses are spending up there, so such an accusation of ours that harbours no evidence to sustain it is nothing but a mere strawman.
    Superquinn source most of their products form the north and that statement was made by them.

That was then and this is now. what about all the small business all i hear is currys superquinn what other multinational will you be quoting next?

Superquinn source most of their products form the north and that statement was made by them.

they've no idea how much they are kicking themselves in the backside, and kicking all of us too. I'm tired of us all being pushed around like cows for slaughter. Its time to fight back. :D:p

00006_Cows_to_Slaughter.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0bcRCCg01I

I think people should mooooov back to ireland this christmas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0bcRCCg01I&feature=related

man my youtube link didnt work, here it is.

TIME FOR WAR!!!
    Get_20to_20the_20Choppa.JPG?1247000312

That was then and this is now. what about all the small business
    What about them, my local shop is far too expensive to shop in, €2.40 for Brennans White Pan Sliced.

heres a suggestion! how about you bake your own I DO. lets face it you've got loafs of time on your hands. LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Well it's been said already but your own council who you voted for printed flyers to "shop local" and used a firm in Northern Ireland to produce them

And that's the leadership for the county??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

People will shop around for the cheapest goods. Have done in the past, doing it now and will do in the future.

I don't shop down the north and don't do a whole pile down here either, just the essentials and an odd splurge but I don't begrudge anyone going elswhere be it across the border or anywhere else to find cheaper options especially when money is tight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭mattock

I was in both Drogheda and Dundalk today, and I just cannot believe that Louth CO CO, Drogheda Corpo and Dundalk TC are getting Mexcian contractors from across the border to do all the Civil works on the roads while local contractors are letting local lads go and have nothing to do, its a fooking disgrace.

In Drogheda on constitution hill Gibson contractors from Lisburn ahve the contract to reinstate the road, Dundalk on clanbrassil street filling in pothole were O hagan's from forkhill, out Blaney rd again Gibson/TH Moore contractors doing a stretch of roadway,All of this money is going north it is spent by OUR local authority which is our local government and these same politicans are telling us not to go north and shop local.

If we keep our taxes in line or below the Nordies we will gain, but by being over taxed it slaughtering the local business and who can blame people if they can save a couple of hundred on their shopping.

Advertisement