Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PLEASE advise on Photoshoot

• 19-11-2009 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

I'm doing a photoshoot next week for a local organisation with the theme 'Positive Lives' - the client grouping is travellers, so i'm very intrigued and excited to do this, as it will expand my experience. Only problem is its a while since I actually did portraiture as I mainly focus on Landscapes after a crisis of confidence doing a wedding over a year ago - i said to myself no more people but said i'd do this as a favour for a good friend who couldnt find a photographer willing to do the shoot.

The shots will be mainly indoor, I have my 50mm f1.8 lens, among others - but was looking for advice on camera setting/s and ideas for shoot would be greatly welcomed.

The other "pressure" is that the finished shots are to be exhibited in an Art centre on 9th Dec - so tight deadline - please please advise - all comments will be greatly welcomed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Get them outdoors, however you can, and use that f/1.8 bokeh to fine effect. Headshots/portraits. Umm. Me un-wordy today.

Okay.

If you can get the participants outdoors, do so. Try to pick a non-distracting backdrop and position them in front of it for headshots/portraits. Make a set from that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

I think you should post a full list of gear you are thinking of bringing, the lads here will quickly tell you what else you could use.

'Positive Lives' for me should be bright, happy and fun photos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭squareballoon

I think I would take headshots on a black background. And hands, don't forget the hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Well, if your comfort zone is landscapes, why don't you stick with that - and incorporate people into the environments you're shooting. You mention a crisis of confidence from the wedding, well this is a difference situation, you make it comfortable for yourself, you have a lot more control over the situation (And you don't even have to wait around for that golden light.) Use the gear you're used to using, a project for exhibition on a somewhat short timescale isn't the time to start experimenting! :)

Obviously, I don't know the ins and outs of your brief, but you say the locations are indoors, are the locations those of the travelling community?

Also, you have loads of time to do this if you can manage your time right. Mark in three days shooting time, another two days processing and correcting, followed by reviewing the images, then get on to a printer that can mount and frame for you.

My own personal preference in Dublin would be www.360-dpi.com - Who's printed off some fantastic quality prints for myself at awkward sizes in good time. Plenty of selection in papers too, to get exactly what you want.

Best of luck with it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 121FOTO

The 50mm lens will force you to get very close to the subject. not that advisable with people not used to pose. Try something over 100mm. I'd get a reflector with me just for a bit of spark in their eyes ( or you could try Vodka :) ). A good tip is to get them to look away from the camera then ask them to look at you. Thats when you take the shot. For a split second there is that visual contact in their eyes..I dont know. it works for me.
    I would try to include their hands in the shot. Hads are as expresive as the eyes and they paint a nice story. Loads of more advice but..no time. Sorry.

Advertisement