Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Could the FAI sue FIFA for loss of earnings

• 19-11-2009 2:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

I argued with myself whether to put this thread in the legal discussion or here in Soccer and plumped for becasue I thought it would be sent here.

So could the FAI sue FIFA for loss of earnings, a rough guess I would say the FAI could lose 25 million or so from not being at the world cup as a result of a breach of their rules.

It wont get us back in the world cup but it would get much needed money for Irish football!

We already have an example of it wiht the West Ham Tevez affair.

I dont think they will, simply because I dont think anyone in the FAI has the balls to take on FIFA, but what do the fine upsatnding members of Boards think should they go after FIFA for money?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I think there's a rule that would exclude the FAI and it's member teams from FIFA endorsed competitions. No doubt even if it were legally possible, FIFA would have their arses covered with some loophole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

No

That doesn't stop them, that just means in terms of football matches the Refs word is final, but if they sued them it would be outside of FIFA's regulations and taken to a civil court to let them decide, surely.

I think there's a rule that would exclude the FAI and it's member teams from FIFA endorsed competitions. No doubt even if it were legally possible, FIFA would have their arses covered with some loophole.

We are already excluded as a result of the decision made in the match.

No,because they have no way of prooving we would have gone on to win the game,its all hypothetical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

We should close ridiculous threads on this.

The FAI as a sporting body has signed up to FIFA's rules so there's no chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

I'm no expert on how we play in WC or EC qualifiers, but surely we have to apply, or be invited to join the competition? I can't imagine that it's our right to be in the qualifiers.
    Opening a law suit would be self defeating.

Of course, all said without knowing how it works!!!!!!!!!

The FAI as a sporting body has signed up to FIFA's rules so there's no chance.

So how did Sheffield sue West ham?

That was done outside of the premier leagues (the body they signed up to)ruling on the matter and was taken to CAS.

johnp wrote: »
    I'm no expert on how we play in WC or EC qualifiers, but surely we have to apply, or be invited to join the competition? I can't imagine that it's our right to be in the qualifiers.
    Opening a law suit would be self defeating.

Of course, all said without knowing how it works!!!!!!!!!

Im sure there is something like that, but the FAI is still a corporate body so to is FIFA so normal Laws still apply, right.

It would be self defeating I agree completly!

• Advertisement

That matter was whether under premiership rules Tevez was eligible to play for West Ham.

The court held he was not.

Totally different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,517 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Sepp Blatter would just roll out his team of high class lawyers from behind a screen in his office a la Mr Burns.
    Litigation over.

Glazers Out!

nullzero wrote: »
    Sepp Blatter would just roll out his team of high class lawyers from behind a screen in his office a la Mr Burns.
    Litigation over.

I think that if there was a case to be made in some way and I could be wrong Im no legal eagle, but if there was a case to be made I think the fact that the matter would be so daming to FIFA's reputation and damaging as a result to its corporate sponsorship by being related to them that it would never make it to a court it would be dealt with out of any court by FIFA to negate the damage that would be done in the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

whats the actual estimated loss, because in 07 according to sky, england lost 1billion from not qualifing to euro2008

Advertisement