Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Capturing the mood

Options
  • 19-11-2009 3:01pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭

I find that some books seem to capture a mood and implant that mood in me for a long period of time. For example, after reading Bonfire of the Vanities I felt fatalistically cynical for weeks. And with Rob Roy I felt that I was using Scotch English to describe everything for well over a month.

Does anybody else get so personally affected by a book? I genuinely can't help it!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Interesting that you should mention Bonfire of the Vanities Denerick.
    I stopped reading it before I was even half way through it because I didn't like any of the characters in the book and honestly couldn't have given a damn what happened to any of them. Maybe Mr. Wolf captured the mood too well.
    I was certainly captured with the mood of Tropic of Cancer when I read it some years ago but my attempts at Bohemia failed as Dublin is not Paris.:o

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Yeah Lolita made me grab my trench coat and head to the nearest kiddies playground...

*cough*

:pac:

In terms of language, I became a (decidedly lame) imitator of the language in A Clockwork Orange for a period after reading it (oh my brothers). I think language can be attractive, as can mannerisms etc, and over the years I have noticed myself imitating others unconsciously. Books can also do that.

After reading Slaughterhouse 5 I became I bit detached and often said "so it goes" when I heard tragic news. I am still liable to do it. That annoys certain people. Short sentences were also picked up from Vonnegut.

I believe its is a very good sign of an author if a static text of his can effect you to such an extent as to make you want to live it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Thinking on it some more I was certainly taken with the mood of The Fountainhead and in particular the singlemindedness of Howard Roark. I wanted to be him but probably just as well that that will never happen.
    I have also been taken with the language of Jack Kerouac, especially when you hear him reading from his various works. That sense of flow and speed and flying through the times he lived in would inspire anyone. Make you want to get On The Road and move on and keep on moving...

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement