Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Network Problem

• 19-11-2009 3:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Currently staying in student accomadation and everytime i go to ue the internet i get an annoying message on the screen saying i've reaach my maximum hours of use, to shut down one or more internet applications and contact the my administrater.

This really wrecks my head at times because it usually happens when i need info of the web.

Anyway around this??

Thanks...

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,532 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Glenviewjf wrote: »
    Hey,

Currently staying in student accomadation and everytime i go to ue the internet i get an annoying message on the screen saying i've reaach my maximum hours of use, to shut down one or more internet applications and contact the my administrater.

This really wrecks my head at times because it usually happens when i need info of the web.

Anyway around this??

Thanks...

Contact the administrator, otherwise anything else is illegal and we can't help with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,219 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Technical explaination: In a home, your computer(s) are connected to a router, which connects all of your PCs to the modem, and the internet. The router has a few built in methods of control, but nothing substantial.

In your Accomodation (or a business environment, typically) The Router is connected to or is Physically part of a Server. This gives the Administrator (Your landlord; whatever) Extremely Fine level control of what you can access, when, and how much and how often.

Speaking honestly, I do not know of a way to bypass it. You are at the mercy of your Administrator. In the same situation when I was in college I could not play games, open Skype or Teamspeak (meaning no calls to family in the United States, effectively) and no amount of Port Forwarding or Tweaking on your end is going to make it happen, captain. We did not have Quotas, and so our access was "Unlimited" but not Unrestricted. And the broadband was advertised as Unlimited before I signed the lease. Thats why I signed up to boards actually :) so believe me I sympathize with you but Im almost entirely convinced it cant be done. Talk to some of the power nerds in the Networking courses though. They may know better.

I would talk to your administrator though and see if Unlimited access can be worked out for Research materials, while keeping quotas for the less than academic stuff, like Youtube and Facebook. Thats about all they will consider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Thanks lads for all info...

Advertisement