Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin city commute

• 19-11-2009 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hi,

On a 50cc moped at the moment and looking to move up to a bike. I commute throught the city from rathfarnham to santry. The 50 cc is just not powerful enough for some of the uphill battles and think its time for a change.

Have an A provisional and looking at maybe getting a 125. What are peoples thoughts- would i need something more powerful of is 125 enough for city moving. Cost of bike and insurance is a factor.

Also anyone have good experiences of lessons for 1st time bikers around south Dublin?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

In your shoes I'd get a 250.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I'd pick up 250cc so you can hit motorway speeds at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I'd pick up 250cc so you can hit motorway speeds at least.

Not on a provisional

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 glenn_lfc

Not too many 250's out there on donedeal or other sites...

Also are they all learner legal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

glenn_lfc wrote: »
    Not too many 250's out there on donedeal or other sites...

Also are they all learner legal?
    Any bike is learner legal when its restricted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

I commute lucan to st. stephens green each day on a 125 burgeman. Does the job. I'm upgrading to a 400 just to get away from the a-hole cagers that are up my a$$ doing 70mph. In city boundaries - 125 would be fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

I used to have a 250 Yamaha Majesty. Before that I had a 125 Majesty. If you can manage it, go for the 250 but a 125 would be good around town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

KTRIC wrote: »
    Not on a provisional

Your implying he will always have a provisional?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

bros400 imo...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

my first bike was a yammy ybr 125, had it for 2 years running a commute from lucan to dun laoghaire via the M50, a grand ole bike if i ever saw one, i treated it badly, and it never gave me any problems except for a slipping from 2nd gear back to neutral, ran it up to 24,000 km before trading it in.
    In '07 i got a loan of 4k from the bank, for the bike brand new (€2550) insurance and a full set of gear. I'm sure you can get it down to 2500 or even 2000 for a new bike. But yeah, yammy ybr 125, best commuter i know. Maybe if you want a bit more speed/power/size, go for a varedaro 125 or however ya spell it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 glenn_lfc

Xios wrote: »
    my first bike was a yammy ybr 125, had it for 2 years running a commute from lucan to dun laoghaire via the M50, a grand ole bike if i ever saw one, i treated it badly, and it never gave me any problems except for a slipping from 2nd gear back to neutral, ran it up to 24,000 km before trading it in.
    In '07 i got a loan of 4k from the bank, for the bike brand new (€2550) insurance and a full set of gear. I'm sure you can get it down to 2500 or even 2000 for a new bike. But yeah, yammy ybr 125, best commuter i know. Maybe if you want a bit more speed/power/size, go for a varedaro 125 or however ya spell it.

Cheers for the advice.

Ill have a look at that ybr.

Any thoughts on a Honda CBF 125. Have a good price for one with a 1 year warranty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

ugly, but grand yokes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

KTRIC wrote: »
    Not on a provisional

Once the Learner permit has an A category then anything under and at 33 bhp/25kW is okay. The problem will be that for an inexperienced rider is the insurance could be fairly ruinous even at that limit. The Yamaha Dragstar/Virago 250 is a solid little machine.

A Honda Lead will get about 50 mph, and the newest version has a slightly bigger engine so might do a bit more. A Honda Bros is said to be perfectly reliable, but they are getting old now. There is a Honda scooter, the Innova with a 125 motor and a semi automatic box which is not too pricey new or second hand. A Honda Steed is a good small cruiser also.

The Suzuki Burgman in the lower engine sizes is reported reasonably swift, comfortable and has a fair bit of carrying capacity. No experience with that, though. I really do think any 125 might be just about good enough, capable of around 60 mph, and more modest insurance. The only problem is that a lighter bike can be hellish in this windy time of year.

BTW, insurance for my first year (first provisional license too) on the ybr was 1400 or there abouts, at age 19, it dropped down to 850 in the second year, so i dunno what bracket the bike is in, but i hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Here is my 2c:

As good as the 125s are at comutting through the city, that is all you are going to do on it.
    They are cheap to run, and cheap(ish) to insure.

I would look at something like a Super4* (you can't kill a Honda).

This way you will have a very able comuter that will be fun on the weekend - and you will be able to keep up with everyone. :)

* Speak to Kamikazi, I heard that he might be looking to upgrade in the new year. :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

P.C. wrote: »
    Here is my 2c:

As good as the 125s are at comutting through the city, that is all you are going to do on it.

This way you will have a very able comuter that will be fun on the weekend - and you will be able to keep up with everyone. :)

* Speak to Kamikazi, I heard that he might be looking to upgrade in the new year. :P

You sure can't.

I've tried enough times :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭DonkeyRhubarb

Like Xios, and weve talking aout this before, I also owned a YBR 125. Brill bike, no doubt. The price is superb. Just in wet weather be SO careful! I had a few lockups on the backwheel that were close.

Even that in mind though, I'd totally recommend a YBR 125. When I was selling mine I drove Dub to Cork to sell it. That's the proof of the pudding. Took 5 hours, but I bloody well got there!

(Screaming 95kmh the whole way)

Like Xios, and weve talking aout this before, I also owned a YBR 125. Brill bike, no doubt. The price is superb. Just in wet weather be SO careful! I had a few lockups on the backwheel that were close.

Even that in mind though, I'd totally recommend a YBR 125. When I was selling mine I drove Dub to Cork to sell it. That's the proof of the pudding. Took 5 hours, but I bloody well got there!

(Screaming 95kmh the whole way)

How was the back after that trip? i did south meath to bettystown, to dundalk and back lucan, with the GF and my back was quite sore, well my upper back anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭n.catenthusiast

Here is my 2c:

KamiKazi wrote: »
    You sure can't.

I've tried enough times :pac:

Well maybe not with everybody but certainly with specific individuals... ;-)

Well maybe not with everybody but certainly with specific individuals... ;-)

I was talking about killing a Honda, not keeping up ;)

• Advertisement

I was talking about killing a Honda, not keeping up ;)

Hahaha - that gave me a good laugh. :D

KamiKazi, you have tried both.

You are much better at keeping up than killing a Honda - and we all know how hard you have tries (to kill a Honda).

Hahaha - that gave me a good laugh. :D

KamiKazi, you have tried both.

You are much better at keeping up than killing a Honda - and we all know how hard you have tries (to kill a Honda).

haha, ncat might be able to keep up with me now he's on a 650 :p

haha, ncat might be able to keep up with me now he's on a 650 :p

What did he get? a SV?

And he killed his ER-5. :mad::eek:

What did he get? a SV?

And he killed his ER-5. :mad::eek:

he did yeah.

The way he looks after his bikes it won't be long before the SV starts making funny noises though :D

he did yeah.

The way he looks after his bikes it won't be long before the SV starts making funny noises though :D

No way this one's gonna be different I swear!

Full service at the first sign of funny noises!

I'm even building a magic box to keep her out of the elements at night time.
    (crappy cover is no good and wrecks my head)

No way this one's gonna be different I swear!

Full service at the first sign of funny noises!

I'm even building a magic box to keep her out of the elements at night time.
    (crappy cover is no good and wrecks my head)

Stick up a few pics in the post your bike thread ;)

Stick up a few pics in the post your bike thread ;)

Will do it's a gloriously slow day in work, hence my innane comments on a range of threads ;)

Advertisement