Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How To Wake Up My External Drive ??

• 19-11-2009 4:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭

Any hints or help with this would be appreciated.

I have a Western Digital 1tb external drive attached to my desktop in work. I regularly connect in from home using a remote desktop session but when I do the external drive has gone into sleep more or 'spun down', I presume to save power. My question is how to wake up that drive so that I can remotely access it.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

What's the exact model of the drive? Do you want to keep it's power saving features or would you be happy to see them disabled?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Mick Rice

I've thrown away the box and the model isn't clearly shown on the drive casing. It's a WD Elements drive and the MDL code on the sticker on the back is WD10000EB035-01 if that helps.

As regards the power saving I'm not that concerned with the power itself but I suppose I don't want to limit the life of the drive by having it spinning all day every day if that was a potential effect. I just don't know enough about drives.

The ideal would be to know a command, or some other route, through device manager for instance, to wake it up on the two or three occasions a week where I need it remotely.

having said that, if the only way to have access is to disable the power saving feature though I might have to go with that.

Please see this and this and let me know what you think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,216 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Im sure WD has an option in place to wake on LAN. It may just be disabled by default.

edit: Oh, is this a MyBook World or a MyBook Essential? World edition allows you to direct connect and is all sorts of set up for this scenario.

Makes sense. Start with the simple stuff first, like is is configured to wake up in the first place. :)

• Advertisement

Folks,
    Thanks for the replies. As I'm running XP I don't think the first link applies, which appears to be XP specific. Also the drive wakes properly when I access it from the desktop, it's just that when it sleeps a remote connection doesn't wake it and it disappears from explorer completely. I had thought that trying to reopen a file that I know is based on the drive would be enough but I just get 'path not found' or similar. I've tried to explore the settings on the drive but can't see a 'wake on lan option' option or similar. Can anyone explain exacxtly where I should look. I've just been rooting around on the device properties under Computer Management/Disk Management - right click to bring up properties.

Thanks,

Mick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Mick Rice wrote: »
    Folks,
    Thanks for the replies. As I'm running XP I don't think the first link applies, which appears to be XP specific. Also the drive wakes properly when I access it from the desktop, it's just that when it sleeps a remote connection doesn't wake it and it disappears from explorer completely. I had thought that trying to reopen a file that I know is based on the drive would be enough but I just get 'path not found' or similar. I've tried to explore the settings on the drive but can't see a 'wake on lan option' option or similar. Can anyone explain exacxtly where I should look. I've just been rooting around on the device properties under Computer Management/Disk Management - right click to bring up properties.

Thanks,

Mick.
    How about disabling the option where Windows disables a device to save power, it might be checked?

usb-root-hub-properties.jpgusb-power-management.jpg

When I go into device manager I see USB Root Hub entries - do I do them all or try to identify the one specific to the device. For the moment I've unchecked them all - we have loads of electricity in here :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Mick Rice wrote: »
    When I go into device manager I see USB Root Hub entries - do I do them all or try to identify the one specific to the device. For the moment I've unchecked them all - we have loads of electricity in here :-)
    Might as well do them all, it is a desktop after all.

Advertisement