Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loan Payment Protection Claim

Options
  • 19-11-2009 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

Hi... Can anybody tell me where I stand. I got a loan from the bank back in Aug 2008 and take a payment protector with it. Then after a yr i was made redundant having not made my probation. Please note that there was an initial 6 month probationary period which was extended twice with 3 months each!

Today I got a letter from the company (Cardif Pinnacle) saying that they are rejecting my claim stating that: I was not made redundant as defined under the terms and conditions of my policy... that my policy only covers me for unemployment due to involuntary redundancy only.

Now... was I not made redundant involuntarily? I did not choose to be made redundant, and with the current climate many companies are using probation as a means to keep their costs low.

Can I appeal and how whould I???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Do you have the terms and conditions of the PPI contract? If you do what does it say about the conditions of being made redundant? Does it say you must be employed for six months, or does it say you must be employed for at least 6 months and be a full time employee?

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭neaideabh

This is what is on the policy T&C's:

If you were made unemployed from a fixed-term
    contract, you will only be entitled to redundancy
    benefi t if:
    (a) you were with the same employer for more than
    6 months, your contract had been renewed at
    least once, and your contract terminated early.
    Redundancy benefits will cease at the end of the
    contract term

But then they have this which is "iffy":

No benefit will be payable under Clause 8 above:
    (a) if at the start date you knew you would be made
    redundant or you had reasonable cause to believe
    that you might be made redundant;

I worked in the professional enviroment with one employer for 3 years previous to this appointment so I would have assumed that I would have never had a fear of being made redundant!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

neaideabh wrote: »
    This is what is on the policy T&C's:

If you were made unemployed from a fixed-term
    contract, you will only be entitled to redundancy
    benefi t if:
    (a) you were with the same employer for more than
    6 months, your contract had been renewed at
    least once, and your contract terminated early.
    Redundancy benefits will cease at the end of the
    contract term

But then they have this which is "iffy":

No benefit will be payable under Clause 8 above:
    (a) if at the start date you knew you would be made
    redundant or you had reasonable cause to believe
    that you might be made redundant;

I worked in the professional enviroment with one employer for 3 years previous to this appointment so I would have assumed that I would have never had a fear of being made redundant!

I think this is the bit they are going by. It seems that the way they're looking at it, you were hired on a probationary basis, and when the probation finished, they did not make you permanent, so in their eyes your contract did not finish early, the probationary period finished and they didn't renew your contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

neaideabh wrote: »
    I was not made redundant as defined under the terms and conditions of my policy... that my policy only covers me for unemployment due to involuntary redundancy only.

So you were not on a contract? Were you? When you took the job you were under the assumption that once you completed your probation you would be made permanant, but the company instead extended your probation?

If this was the case you are within the terms and conditions.

Were you given the option to stay in the employment or were you asked and choose to leave?

I know from personal experience and other boards users that these companys hard to deal with. Even if the claim was fine they ask for more and more paperwork. The majority of Irish banks have their PPI outsoured to England so everything have to be done non face to face which is a pain.

Advertisement