Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flood Warning from AA Road watch

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 UndecidedKris

OMG!!! i am pissed!! :mad:

now i cant see new moon tonight!!! :mad::mad::mad:

omg!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Hey Jonny. See the pics above from Eliot Rosewater? The Kingsley is at the end of that road pretty much on the river bank so it might be hard to get to. You won't have to drive down that road to get to the hotel because you'll be coming from the other side but it doesn't look good. Sorry to put a 'damper' on that for you. :pac:

To avoid the city you could go through the tunnel and head west towards Wilton. At the Sarsfield roundabout head up pass Wilton and down to the Kingsley through Victoria Cross. I'd say that's your best bet.

I don't live out that way, so not sure if any of that route is flooded or not but it can't be as bad as the city. Those pics from by UCC are on the road from the city to the Kingsley.

Edit: Just seen more pics from other threads and this post. Stay at home I'd say.

Kinglsey is part of the river now! Victoria Cross closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Anybody know is AAroadwatch down???

Having problems getting in??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

More pics (taken from Jury's hotel)

CI-1.JPG

CI-

CI-3.JPG

CI-4.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

sunnyside wrote: »
    So are the ESB are responsible for this:confused: Because the dam should have been as empty as is possible in anticipation of high rainfall and a flooding risk.

Has this dam ever burst?

No the ESB are not responsible.

The two dams and reservoirs actually do a great service to the city in flood prevention and the city would flood a lot more frequently (like mallow for example). As you say, yes they can "empty" the reservoir before anticipated severe flooding but in this case we had a number of specific events which all compounded upon each other - low barometric pressure (which causes water levels to rise), southerly winds (which "holds" the water in the harbour) and intensive rain which was falling on an otherwise saturated landscape (I believe Valentia Observatory recorded 60mm/nearly 3 inches in 24hrs). The reservoir were full already so could only retain so much from Wednesdays/Thursday rainfall.

There's comes a point at which, for safety reasons, the dams have to leave water go and cannot retain it any longer. The dam has never burst.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

So are the ESB are responsible for this:confused: Because the dam should have been as empty as is possible in anticipation of high rainfall and a flooding risk.

Has this dam ever burst?

thats all up to speculation i suppose. i dont think the esb would ever admit responsibilty either, but it was the dam that flooded the city not the rain!

edit: see above, much better answer than mine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

Stargate wrote: »

The same was happening yesterday for me, server is overloaded with people checking for updates I'd say, give it a few mins and try again, you'll get there :)

Stargate wrote: »

Website is working fine - Latest update is as follows:

Updated: 20/11/2009 10:58:26
    ANYONE IN AREAS AFFECTED BY FLOODING, PARTICULARLY IN CORK AND GALWAY, ARE ADVISED NOT TO TRAVEL. *CORK CITY* Gardai tell us the only access into and out of the city centre is via Patrick St -this may close later. The River Lee has burst its banks. Bus Eireann Cork city services are running, with delays on all routes. *NORTH CORK* • The Blackwater River has burst its banks in Fermoy; the Fermoy Bridge - impassable, as are all the Quays. • The Tallow Rd in Fermoy - impassable. • The N72 Ballyhooley/Fermoy Rd - impassable. • Further west, in Mallow: the N72 - impassable at Reas Cross. Also note, that the road to Kilavullen Village is impassable. Park Rd is closed. *WEST CORK* • The N71 Cork/Bantry Rd - impassable through Skibbereen and Inishannon. • The N22 Cork/Killarney Rd - passable with extreme care through Macroom, Crookstown and Cloghdubh. *TIPPERARY* • In Clonmel, The Quays and a number of other roads are closed. The only bridge open is Thomas Bridge.
    *GALWAY* • The N6 Galway/Dublin Rd is closed at Ballinasloe. The N6 will also be closed for a few days at Craughwell. • Drivers from Loughrea divert on the N66 and drivers from Galway divert at Oranmore on the N18 to Gort. However, the N18 Galway/Limerick Rd is seriously flooded at Labane. • There is also flooding on Crowe St at Gort with diversions in place. • Motorists headed to Connemara from the east should travel via Westport. • N17 Galway/Tuam Rd - flooding at Two Mile Ditch, Castlegara and serious flooding at Claregalway Village. • N59 Galway/Clifden Rd - flooding at Oranswell and Knockranny – passable with care. • N63 Galway/Roscommon Rd flooding between Newtown Cross and Ballyglunin Cross – passable. • N84 Galway/Headford Rd between Corundulla Cross and Clonboo is passable with care. • The Galway/Monivea Rd (R339) is impassable at several spots between Carnmore Cross and Monivea. • The Loughrea/Athenry Rd (R349) is impassable. *BUS EIREANN SERVICES TO GALWAY* • Bus Eireann DUBLIN/GALWAY service at 10am and 11am will terminate in Loughrea. There are no services between Galway and Eyrecourt. City services are operating, but with delays. • Bus Eireann ATHLONE/GALWAY services are suspended. *WATERFORD CITY* • The Tramore Rd is closed between the Cork Rd and the Ballindud R/A. • Inner Ring Rd is closed at Tramore Rd. • Road closed from Cork Rd R/A up to the Folly. • Motorists should avoid the Ballytruckle Rd and Ursuline areas. • Coolfinn Bridge on Kimeadan/Portlaw Rd (R698) is closed. *KILKENNY* • Flooding on the N9 near Mullinavat, Danesfort and Knocktopher – passable. • The New Ross/Thomastown Rd (R700) impassable at Inistioge and the N24 Limerick/Waterford Rd passable with care between Grannagh and Aglish. • In Thomastown, the Quay and Marches St are impassable. • HGVs are unable to access Thomastown from Graiguenamanagh or Inistioge. *N11/WEXFORD* • The N11 is flooded between Kyles Cross and Killurin-diversions, major delays. • All the Quays are closed in Enniscorthy. • In New Ross, the Wexford/ Wellingtonbridge Rd (R733) is closed. *KERRY* • The N71 Killarney/Kenmare Rd closed at Molls Gap. Divert via Kilgarvan. • The N70 Castlemaine Rd closed from Denehy's to Kelleher's Cross. *CLARE* Gardai are asking motorists to avoid Ennis Town. • The N85 Ennis/Ennistymon Rd is flooded - diversions via Inagh. • The N68/Kilrush Rd into Ennis - flooded but passable at Darragh. • The Corofin/Kilfenora Rd is flooded (R476). • The Gort Rd (R458) in the town - severely flooded. *LONGFORD* • All those approaching Longford town on the N5/Strokestown Rd from the west must divert at Kilmore Cross, turn left for Newtownforbes and then take the N4. • The N5/Strokestown Rd at Willow Park and the N63/Lanesborough Rd at the railway bridge in the Town are closed. Take the Farnahill Rd instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

kingtut wrote: »
    Website is working fine - Latest update is as follows:

Updated: 20/11/2009 10:58:26
    ANYONE IN AREAS AFFECTED BY FLOODING, PARTICULARLY IN CORK AND GALWAY, ARE ADVISED NOT TO TRAVEL. *CORK CITY* Gardai tell us the only access into and out of the city centre is via Patrick St -this may close later. The River Lee has burst its banks. Bus Eireann Cork city services are running, with delays on all routes..

Patrick St may close later, It's gonna get worse before it get's better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Has this dam ever burst?

I'm pretty sure they were holding back water while they were looking for a body in the river this week as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Bandon is like something from a New Orleans video, there were scary emotional scenes last night when we all had trouble getting home and everywhere was blocked off, I nearly ran out of petrol and a farmers laneway got me onto a dry road to get home, barely. The new Venice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Kinglsey is part of the river now! Victoria Cross closed.

Ya I know, I just saw this vid on youtube. About 15 secs in you can see it. Unreal!

TheDriver wrote: »
    Bandon is like something from a New Orleans video, there were scary emotional scenes last night when we all had trouble getting home and everywhere was blocked off, I nearly ran out of petrol and a farmers laneway got me onto a dry road to get home, barely. The new Venice!

TheDriver , what way is Bandon now ? Is possible to get there from the city today? i think theres roadworks going on and everyones going Crossbarry way , tnx

Just seen this on the PRoC, thought it might be useful info here:

Large areas of the western side of the city are seriously flooded including the Water Treatment Plant on the Lee Road.

As a result of the flooding Cork City Council cannot treat water and approximately 40% of the city has experienced supply disruption. This figure will increase as the day progresses and the available treated water in the reservoirs is consumed.

Crews are on standby to assess and repair the damage to the Treatment Plant and this work will commence as soon as the flood waters subside. Unfortunately it is estimated that it will be a number of days before water supply can be restored.

Arrangements have been made to tanker emergency drinking water supplies to the following locations across the city.

Ballyvolane Shopping Centre

Blackpool Shopping Centre

Hollyhill Shopping Centre

St Mary’s Orthopedic Hospital, Bakers Road, Gurranabraher

Nemo Rangers GAA, South Douglas Road

Supplies will be available at these locations later this afternoon and this manned service will be available till 8pm tonight and again in the coming days. Additional emergency supplies will be advised in due course.

While there may be minor discolouration or pressure variations in unaffected areas the City Council wishes to advise that no contaminated water has entered the distribution system and as such all supplies are safe to use.

Cork City Council regrets the disruption in service but wishes to advise the public that every effort is being made to restore water as quickly as possible.

Cork City Council, City Hall, Cork, Ireland
    Tel: +353 21 4966222 | Fax: +353 21 4314238 | E-mail Directory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Wow! The city has been destroyed! It's weird - I live further up the quays and although we had to drive a different route out of town today due to roads being closed, I had no idea how bad it was.

Why would Patrick Street close? It was perfect at 9 this morning. Is it overwhelmed by traffic or what?

And how on earth will I get home if all of town is closed off?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

cork45 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure they were holding back water while they were looking for a body in the river this week as well.

oh they were looking for that poor student weren't they :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

simu wrote: »
    Wow! The city has been destroyed! It's weird - I live further up the quays and although we had to drive a different route out of town today due to roads being closed, I had no idea how bad it was.

Why would Patrick Street close? It was perfect at 9 this morning. Is it overwhelmed by traffic or what?

high tide is back this evening and i read somewhere that iniscarra dam is still handling 8 times more water than it usually does. floods aint going away for a while yet id say!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

grand parade was underwater, patrick st was grand. if my photos ever upload I'll show you.

I live up by Collage Rd and can't get to town unless Barrack St is ok

I'll guess that Patrick Street might close later due to high tide coming in at aroud 6/7ish and the forecast is ment to be awful for tonight

• Advertisement

AA - Updated: 20/11/2009 11:49:27
    ANYONE IN AREAS AFFECTED BY FLOODING, PARTICULARLY IN CORK AND GALWAY, ARE ADVISED NOT TO TRAVEL. *CORK CITY* Gardai tell us the only access into and out of the city centre is via Patrick St -this may close later. The River Lee has burst its banks. Bus Eireann Cork city services are running, with delays on all routes. *NORTH CORK* • The Blackwater River has burst its banks in Fermoy; the Fermoy Bridge - impassable, as are all the Quays. • The Tallow Rd in Fermoy - impassable. • The N72 Ballyhooley/Fermoy Rd - impassable. • Further west, in Mallow: the N72 - impassable at Reas Cross. Also note, that the road to Kilavullen Village is impassable. Park Rd is closed. *WEST CORK* • The N71 Cork/Bantry Rd - impassable through Skibbereen and Inishannon. • The N22 Cork/Killarney Rd - passable with extreme care through Macroom, Crookstown and Cloghdubh. *TIPPERARY* • In Clonmel, The Quays and a number of other roads are closed. The only bridge open is Thomas Bridge.
    *GALWAY* • The N6 Galway/Dublin Rd is closed at Ballinasloe. The N6 will also be closed for a few days at Craughwell. • Drivers from Loughrea divert on the N66 and drivers from Galway divert at Oranmore on the N18 to Gort. However, the N18 Galway/Limerick Rd is seriously flooded at Labane. • There is also flooding on Crowe St at Gort with diversions in place. • Motorists headed to Connemara from the east should travel via Westport. • N17 Galway/Tuam Rd - flooding at Two Mile Ditch, Castlegara and serious flooding at Claregalway Village. • N59 Galway/Clifden Rd - flooding at Oranswell and Knockranny – passable with care. • N63 Galway/Roscommon Rd flooding between Newtown Cross and Ballyglunin Cross – passable. • N84 Galway/Headford Rd between Corundulla Cross and Clonboo is passable with care. • The Galway/Monivea Rd (R339) is impassable at several spots between Carnmore Cross and Monivea. • The Loughrea/Athenry Rd (R349) is impassable.
    *BUS EIREANN SERVICES TO GALWAY* • Bus Eireann GALWAY/DUBLIN services are cancelled today. DUBLIN/GALWAY services will terminate in Athlone. No services between Galway and Eyrecourt. City services are operating but delayed. • Bus Eireann ATHLONE/GALWAY services are suspended. *WATERFORD CITY* • The Tramore Rd - closed between the Cork Rd and the Ballindud R/A. • Inner Ring Rd - closed at Tramore Rd. • Road closed from Cork Rd R/A up to the Folly. • Motorists avoid the Ballytruckle Rd and Ursuline areas. • Coolfinn Bridge on Kimeadan/Portlaw Rd (R698) is closed. *KILKENNY* • Flooding on the N9 near Mullinavat, Danesfort and Knocktopher – passable. • The New Ross/Thomastown Rd (R700) impassable at Inistioge and the N24 Limerick/Waterford Rd passable with care between Grannagh and Aglish. • In Thomastown, the Quay and Marches St are impassable. HGVs are unable to access Thomastown from Graiguenamanagh or Inistioge. *N11/WEXFORD* • The N11 is flooded between Kyles Cross and Killurin-diversions, major delays. • All the Quays are closed in Enniscorthy. • In New Ross, the Wexford/ Wellingtonbridge Rd (R733) is closed. *KERRY* • The N71 Killarney/Kenmare Rd closed at Molls Gap. Divert via Kilgarvan. • The N70 Castlemaine Rd closed from Denehy's to Kelleher's Cross. *CLARE* Gardai are asking motorists to avoid Ennis Town. • The N85 Ennis/Ennistymon Rd is flooded - diversions via Inagh. • The N68/Kilrush Rd into Ennis - flooded but passable at Darragh. • The Corofin/Kilfenora Rd is flooded (R476). • The Gort Rd (R458) in the town - severely flooded. *LONGFORD* • All those approaching Longford town on the N5/Strokestown Rd from the west must divert at Kilmore Cross, turn left for Newtownforbes and then take the N4. • The N5/Strokestown Rd at Willow Park and the N63/Lanesborough Rd at the railway bridge in the Town are closed. Take the Farnahill Rd instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

you can get to Bandon but through Bandon is the problem, I tried getting through there this morning and whole place was flooded, hear the bridge is having problems too. Innishannon to Bandon is closed but you could go up by the forge, some small floods there if you can get through them. Where do you actually want to go as most placed are closed today, schools included

Cork_girl wrote: »
    oh they were looking for that poor student weren't they :(

Crap, I forgot about that search. I Really hope they find him.

This is the problem....well with grand parade anyway!

0002c4ec-380.jpg

High tida again tonight simu , and more rain for weekend :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Stuck out in Castlemartyr right now, have to drop an essay off at UCC...

1. Can I get into the city? Train from Midleton maybe?

2. Can I get into UCC itself, think the area before Hayfield Manor? (I'm assuming not).

3. How's North Main Street.

Thanks for any help.

TheDriver wrote: »
    you can get to Bandon but through Bandon is the problem, I tried getting through there this morning and whole place was flooded, hear the bridge is having problems too. Innishannon to Bandon is closed but you could go up by the forge, some small floods there if you can get through them. Where do you actually want to go as most placed are closed today, schools included

Tnx , trying to get to the new apartments alongside the river .........
    coming from cork , over the bridge , turn right and then right again into the complex

tnx for the info Thedriver ;)

Crap, I forgot about that search. I Really hope they find him.

Poor kid , and his family and how they feel today !!

Orizio wrote: »
    Stuck out in Castlemartyr right now, have to drop an essay off at UCC...

1. Can I get into the city? Train from Midleton maybe?

Don't know.

2. Can I get into UCC itself, think the area before Hayfield Manor? (I'm assuming not).

No, UCC is closed.

3. How's North Main Street.

Closed.

Thanks for any help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 earthwormjimmy

Hi All
    Heading home this evening from Dublin to West Cork and getting collected at Cork train station. Does anyone know if it's possible to get from Dunmanway to Cork and then from the Bandon road to the train station?
    Cheers

Advertisement