Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flood Warning from AA Road watch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

poconnor16 wrote: »
    Believe it or not, some of the pubs and clubs are going to try and open tonight.....:)

Any idea which ones(specifically clubs!), I'm er "curious" :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Lucky you, eh:D:D

North Main St will prob be closed for the day,

The mardyke:

attachment.php?attachmentid=5449&stc=1&d=1258713247

ha, I was supposed to have rugby there 2day! And the pitch is lower than the dressing rooms, so it was way deeper on the pitch .

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Webmonkey wrote: »
    I'm back in Kerry. Its 7pm the tide started coming in yeah? - things could get worse.

Its due to get worse - high tide is around 7 and following that, the ESB will be doing a controlled release of water from the Iniscarra Dam as the tide is going out. So even though the tide is going out, there will still be a substancial anount of water

Rain is forecast for 2nite, 23mm I heard - high tide is between 7-9 am 2moro.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Its due to get worse - high tide is around 7 and following that, the ESB will be doing a controlled release of water from the Iniscarra Dam as the tide is going out. So even though the tide is going out, there will still be a substancial anount of water

Rain is forecast for 2nite, 23mm I heard - high tide is between 7-9 am 2moro.

Scary stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I would predict anywhere between 20 and 30mm late tonight early tomorrow, with high winds Sunday causing issues on the South Coast. Stay safe people

• Advertisement

Wind makes things so much worse.

Actually I was over by where the wall by mercy tumbled over (Including some of the road) and at 3pm nothing had being done to it. Surely they've put up something. It will be very hard to hold the weight of that water.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Scien wrote: »

7yrs i spent in the City & i've never seen it come anywhere close to that.

Its the worst floods Cork has experienced in living memory!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Some pics here.
    No.71 is ridic..

Scien , Tnx for the link , excellent pictures !

Some pics here.
    No.71 is ridic..

77 as well. Wouldn't want to be in there

• Advertisement

77 as well. Wouldn't want to be in there

Have a look here Webmonkey

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055743825&page=2

Just been told it was full of cars !!

Stargate wrote: »
    Have a look here Webmonkey

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055743825&page=2

Just been told it was full of cars !!
    Jesus *****. That's insane. So many new cars down there

Nutz isnt it !

Indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

Problems are being caused by the volume of water passing through the ESB's Inniscarra dam. The ESB says it has to release significant amounts of water downstream of the dam because the dam is dealing with up to eight times the amount of water that it normally handles.

It says flooding downstream of the Inniscarra dam is inevitable under the circumstances.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1120/weather.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Lets hope there isn't a repeat of 2004.

Looks worse to me. Glad I'm not there. I fear there's more to come.

ps dry here on the east coast

eoccork wrote: »

Just saw it on the news there - 307 square miles of a catchment area above the dam, have to release the water. Seeing that on the news was unreal - will be up on the rte player soon for anyone who missed it

Boil notices are in operation around the Clondroichead area. For the whole county, if anyone is concerned about their water, boil it or buy bottled water and contact the local authorities

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Jesus *****. That's insane. So many new cars down there

Yeah, heard from someone in the county hall that they were loading cars off a transport into the kingsley yesterday morning. No idea how many but horrible all the same.

There's gonna be millions in car write off's alone judging by all the pic's and whatnot!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Unconfirmed but apparently the ESB were holding off during the week on releasing any water due to the search for the missing student. It was the right thing to do at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭legal eagle 1

Hey guys,
    Just wondering if anyone knows how bad the Wilton area is effected as regards the floods, or is it effected?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Hey guys,
    Just wondering if anyone knows how bad the Wilton area is effected as regards the floods, or is it effected?
    Thanks

Well, the sarfield's road roundabout was flooded yesterday (got caught out badly there walking home yesterday) as was the road by the traffic lights outside of witlon. But all seems fine now, the water has subsided and the roads are clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭legal eagle 1

Well, the sarfield's road roundabout was flooded yesterday (got caught out badly there walking home yesterday) as was the road by the traffic lights outside of witlon. But all seems fine now, the water has subsided and the roads are clear.
    Thanks for the info, i was just worried my place would be under water when i got back to it :rolleyes:

Unconfirmed but apparently the ESB were holding off during the week on releasing any water due to the search for the missing student. It was the right thing to do at the time.

It was the right thing to do IMO - his phone was found down by the Marina. Just thinking about that 2day, floods could make it near impossible. Heard it from another source just there as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Thanks for the info, i was just worried my place would be under water when i got back to it :rolleyes:

Haven't heard of any stories of houses being flooded around this area, being on a hill and all, just seems to be the roads that were effected. Your haouse should be fine.

It was the right thing to do IMO - his phone was found down by the Marina. Just thinking about that 2day, floods could make it near impossible. Heard it from another source just there as well
    Yeah that was mentioned on the news too and newstalk. He well gone now anyways if it was in there he went :( - Feel awful for the family.

Yeah that was mentioned on the news too and newstalk. He well gone now anyways if it was in there he went :( - Feel awful for the family.

I heard that there was a second man that went missing after the Ireland game as well. Must be very hard for the family and his friends

I heard that there was a second man that went missing after the Ireland game as well. Must be very hard for the family and his friends
    Where you hear that? - thats dreadful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭AddictedToYou

Where you hear that? - thats dreadful

Yeah there's a sticky on the PRoC about it. On corkcity.ie or something aswell. Really awful.

Yeah there's a sticky on the PRoC about it. On corkcity.ie or something aswell. Really awful.
    Nothing but bad news constantly lately.

How is the city looking now? Did the tides this evening cause any problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

City was grand, river looked scarily high near City Hall though. We got a call that stores might have to close early due to the high tides, but a semmingly false alarm in the end.

Advertisement