Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Award Debates

Options
  • 19-11-2009 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure where to put this, but here seems the most likely spot for it.

Now, keep in mind that I haven't thought this through as I'm just trying to kill time before 5pm. I was wondering if it'd be an idea to have some sort of debate for the game awards this year. What I was thinking that, people would be asked to nominate games as per usual, and when the final lists are set, different users could be asked to give reasons why their chosen game should win.

So, say for example Best PS3 game had only Uncharted 2 and Batman: Arkham Asylum as nominees, then one user would give a post pointing out Uncharted 2's good points while mocking Batman's flaws and another user would do the opposite.

In essence it'd just be a bit of fun and there's plenty of amateur and wannabe reviewers here that might get a kick out writing up their favorite games. It doesn't even have to be for every single award. Maybe only the more popular ones like best for each console, or even only for the game of the year.

Does anyone think this sounds even mildly entertaining? Or should I just keep quiet until home time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

What time you going home at?

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Landoflemon

Indeed my friend it does sound entertaining, however I've really only been playing games from 2008 yet that I still haven't completed so I don't know how valid anything is that I have to say. However, having said that, MW2 is currently sitting in the xbox and I really don't think it's going to be leaving it any time soon!! (Not until Alan Wake comes out!)

On the DS, Scribblenauts was a great game, very ambitious ideas, but it was well implemented. Being able to solve problems in it's unique manner and just having whatever object you wanted just appear must have taken an awful lot of work!

Arkham Asylum on my PS3 is also pretty fun, but sometimes I find it a tad confusing as to where I'm supposed to go next, and what the hell I'm currently doing. And I'm not slow either in case this is suggested at any stage.

Also, that new Thierry Henry Extreme Beach VolleyBall looks promising too. I don't know if any of you spotted him promoting it last night?!?;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

As long as hottest videogame babe category is still there I don't mind either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Who's on your shortlist this year, Retr0? :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well I've been very disappointed by the abscence of the delectable jade raymond this year.

It might be the girls from uncharted but unfortunately they are very well written characters, really not becoming of the depravity that this award has stood for, for so long. Perhaps some of the Persona 4 hotties or Shiva from Resi 5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I like the idea, Humanji.
    A pre-voting debate on the main categories could be fun. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Seems like a very good idea to me
    Eurogamer do a similar thing with their end of year top 50 - you can add a brief comment about why you are nominating a game when you make your choices, they then cherry pick comments to appear alongside the final results.

Ivy from Arkham Asylum for babe of the year (tentacles!!!)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It really was slim pickings on the hottest babe category. Below would be my vote, if only for filthy evilness. :P
    Morrigan_profile.jpg

Anyway, sounds like a good idea. Lets just keep any fanboy bull**** out of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,473 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    As long as hottest videogame babe category is still there I don't mind either way.

You and that category ;) - every year Retr0 gamer rushes in to defend pixellated vixens! But yes, I think the Uncharted duo and Yukiko are strong contenders, although best that that comment stays in the anonymous depths of the interweb.

I do like the debate idea though - may add a bit of variety and energy to voting threads!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

I like the idea of this a lot, should be entertaining. :pac:
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Perhaps some of the Persona 4 hotties
    Who, Teddie?

Seriously though, Retr0 and johnny, you're scaring me here. Those girls are like 15-16 and some of them look about 13. Eww. I admit I have a thing for Dojima but at least he's old enough to consent! I'll definitely be voting Elena over Chloe, her cold dead glass eyes creep me out. Elena FTW!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,473 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

GothPunk wrote: »
    I like the idea of this a lot, should be entertaining. :pac:

Who, Teddie?

Seriously though, Retr0 and johnny, you're scaring me here. Those girls are like 15-16 and some of them look about 13. Eww. I admit I have a thing for Dojima but at least he's old enough to consent! I'll definitely be voting Elena over Chloe, her cold dead glass eyes creep me out. Elena FTW!

I'm scaring myself too, tbh :pac: The one thing that freaked me out in Japan was their obsession with school girl anime characters - it really is ridiculously OTT over there. At least (I hope!) we treat it in a very rip the piss manner on boards, but the Japanese are deadly serious over their worrying obsessions with wide eyed teens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

I'm scaring myself too, tbh :pac: The one thing that freaked me out in Japan was their obsession with school girl anime characters - it really is ridiculously OTT over there. At least (I hope!) we treat it in a very rip the piss manner on boards, but the Japanese are deadly serious over their worrying obsessions with wide eyed teens.
    I know! I saw someone with a Nanako avatar somewhere... the height of creepiness. I'm sure there could be an innocent reason for using her but it's just wrong, she's like 6 or 7! Yukiko does have the most risque animated cutscene where she looks a bit older so I guess it's not too messed up...

I just read that some guy in Japan had a wedding ceremony with his copy of 'Love Plus' in his DS. Now that is OTT.

Advertisement