Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wireless router problem...

Options
  • 19-11-2009 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

we recently got wireless in our house but i cant seem to connect to the router. it is a cisco brand and chorus ntl are the provider. my laptop, windows 7, recognises the network, however when it tries to connect and fails...without asking me for a password, which i have.

when i try to connect to similar networks it does ask me for a password. it would work perfectly im sure if it just asked me for the password. at the moment im using a cable to connect up, but the other people in my house are using wireless succesfully.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Barrypr

Can you try turn security off and try to connect, then turn back on again once connected.

Also see if MAC address filtering is enabled if so just try turn that off, I'm sure someone else will have a better idea for you I've never used Chorus routers before!

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭samdeluxjones

if other users in the house have full access as you say then its your laptop settings that are at fault.

get a laptop thats working and go through all the ip and wireless(especially wireless security) settings and make sure they are all the same as the one thats working.

some laptops recognise the difference between, wep, wpa and wpa2, others don't and have to be changed manually.

hope this helps..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I don't know Windows 7, but I'd also suggest you delete any profile (or whatever W7 might call it) that saves what the laptop thinks is the wifi connection. Then, create a new connection profile. As samdeluxjones said check your IP settings as well as wifi

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭eskimoparty

im in the same situation and cant get to log on. could it be that the router is out of date??

Have a project due so neeeeeeed this sorted!!1

eskimo,

if u need it that bad, get a data cable and hard wire laptop to router, bypass all the wireless settings.

• Advertisement

thanks sam im doing that not but its just a little frustrating to have to do this with a new computer!!

Any other help appreciated . . .

well finish your project and then put in more details of your setup there..

make/model of router/security settings/can others connect via wireless etc..

Router is a Cisco EPC2425, came with the broadband provided by chorus. I can get net access on my XP and Vista machines and have tried to copy over the settings by manually setting up a network as advised above.

I am now running with a W7 HP pavillion machine and the issue is that it wont allow me to insert a security code for the access or when i do it still wont log in and it says there is an error with router.

Esk

access the router settings and turn off all the wireless security, if it works then(which it should) its just the security settings on your laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭chats

thanks for all your help guys...through a combination of your various posts i managed to resolve the problem( basically i messed around with it and have no idea what i did!)

:)thanks every1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Roy Rogers

Hi, sorry to resurrect an old thread but I think I'm having the same problem.

Provider is UPC, the router is the standard CISCO EPC2425, and I'm running Windows 7. Up until recently, I used an ethernet cable to connect my PC to the modem and it worked fine; however, I've moved house and now need to connect wirelessly.

I can see the network, and have the same problem -- if I try to connect with Connect Automatically checked, Windows tells me it can't connect to the network and offers to troubleshoot (which does no good).

My housemates laptops can both connect fine, so I'm sure the network itself is okay and the problem is with Windows 7.

When I un-check Connect Automatically, I'm asked to provide a password for the network (which is WEP). The password is 8 characters, all letters (supplied as standard by UPC), but when I try to enter it Windows tells me a WEP password must be 5 or 13 characters.

Has anyone else run into this problem and know how to sort it out? Chats, you don't have any idea how you fixed it?

I have tried manually configuring the network by entering the SSID and selecting Open and the sub-type WEP authentication. This seems to get around the 5/13 character error, but still tells me the password is incorrect.

[Also, as an aside -- is there a standard username/password for these UPC modems? I tried to get into it from my housemate's laptop to check the settings there, but admin/password didn't work.]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Barrypr

Are you mixing up the router password and the WEP key

(you should be using WPA2 as WEP is piss)

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Roy Rogers

No, sorry -- that was just something else that was bothering me.

In Windows 7, when you hover over the available networks from the system tray pop-up, it tells you what encryption they're using. At the moment, it's WEP.

That's the main problem. The minor one is not being able to get into the router, even using an ethernet cable. I would change to WPA2 if I could get in to do so :)

you either got wrong username and password or wrong ip address for the box then.

reset the box and start again from scratch and write down all the settings u make..

Advertisement