Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista keeps crashing at around 5pm

• 19-11-2009 6:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭

This is driving me nuts. I bought a dell laptop around February of this year. It just gets slower and slower during the day and then just feckin blue screens at around 5pm - my busiest time of the day. Then it takes about 20 minutes to reboot after doing a disk check etc. I have automatic updates set and AVG anti virus.

Anyone else having this problem?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

There are quite a few things we'll need to know before we can help with the problem or tell you if it's a known issue:
    • what model dell laptop do you have?
    • what version of windows are you running?
    • do you have the latest drivers for your hardware installed?
    • what version of AVG are you using, and has it found anything unusual on your system since the problem manifested?
    • what are the exact symptoms of the problem? (Stop code from bluescreen, what you are doing just before it happens, what component fails to trigger the BSOD, etc)
    • what have you tried to fix the problem so far?
    • is there anything interesting or unusual in your system logs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Do you have AVG set to run daily? I'm running v9 (commercial) and it set itself up to run daily at 9:00am. I didn't notice this for a few days, but my machine was running like a pig one morning, with a bunch of avg*.exe processes hogging the processor. I dug around the options, and set it to run weekly at 5 on Monday morning so it would be done by the time I got into work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Could be that AVG is set by default to run scan every day at a particular hour. You could set it to run once every month/week etc etc. if this is the issue.

You can check it in AVG ... Tools | Advanced | Scheduled Scan.. and see when the scan is set to run.

Yakuza wrote: »
    Do you have AVG set to run daily? I'm running v9 (commercial) and it set itself up to run daily at 9:00am. I didn't notice this for a few days, but my machine was running like a pig one morning, with a bunch of avg*.exe processes hogging the processor. I dug around the options, and set it to run weekly at 5 on Monday morning so it would be done by the time I got into work.

Wow.. snap, same time .. same solution.. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭arctictree

Fysh wrote: »
    There are quite a few things we'll need to know before we can help with the problem or tell you if it's a known issue:
    • what model dell laptop do you have? Inspiron 1545
    • what version of windows are you running? Windows Vista Home Premium SP1
    • do you have the latest drivers for your hardware installed? I think so!
    • what version of AVG are you using, and has it found anything unusual on your system since the problem manifested? AVG 8.5.425 - Nothing unusual found recently
    • what are the exact symptoms of the problem? (Stop code from bluescreen, what you are doing just before it happens, what component fails to trigger the BSOD, etc) Seems to be totally random. I'll see if I can get more info
    • what have you tried to fix the problem so far? Just a reboot and disk check
    • is there anything interesting or unusual in your system logs? Where are these system logs?

Hi Fysh - Answers to your questions above!

I had AVG doing a virus scan daily at 10am. I'll change that to weekly and see if it has any effect.

BTW - In the AVG history, I keep seeing 'The scan log is corrupted (scan has not finished properly). I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

arctictree wrote: »
    Hi Fysh - Answers to your questions above!

I had AVG doing a virus scan daily at 10am. I'll change that to weekly and see if it has any effect.

BTW - In the AVG history, I keep seeing 'The scan log is corrupted (scan has not finished properly). I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

A

Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing AVG?

rhonin wrote: »
    Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing AVG?

Yeah, certainly worth a shot. Also, make sure that whatever trial version of AV software that Dell installed on your laptop has been removed FULLY (they usually package it with a 60 day trial of McAfee Internet Security). Make sure to remove this and any other trial package that has expired.

If you get that blue screen error again, make sure and write it down as it is sure to point to the issue.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Hi arctictree, here are a few things you can try:
    • go here and check if there are driver updates for your system
    • go here and download Vista Service Pack 2.
    • Uninstall, reboot, reinstall your current version of AVG if you have the installation media (or version 9 if you do not), reboot again, then see if the problem recurrs.
    • Check your system logs ( go start > run > compmgmt.msc (run this as Administrator if you have UAC enabled) and check System Tools > Event Viewer > Windows Logs > System) and see if there are any details of what might be causing the crash

Advertisement