Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unbelievable phonecall

Options
  • 19-11-2009 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

I bought and paid for a bike a couple of weeks ago in Halfords, i took the option of them putting the bike together to save me the hassle at Christmas, its a present for my daughter. 5 minutes ago my phone rings and get a girl on the phone as rude as hell. She informs me the bike must be collected by the close of buisness today or it will be gone, i inform her i'm in work and won't be finished till midnight, she then tells me it must be collected on the store opening tomorrow or it will be gone. I ask politely where gone is ( another store maybe or something ) she replies it will just be gone and that''s it in here worst Dublin accent. I said i might not be able to make it in the morning (i have a hospital appointment).........Well it won't be here it will be gone was her answer again.

Now when i paid for the bike i was told the soonest it would be ready was the 19th due to a backlog, and i asked had it to be collected that day or what, the chap said collect anytime after this time it would be ready. I'm sitting here in work stunned by the absolute arrogance of your woman, i've never in all my life had a phone call like it from a retail outlet. Shocked.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Phone back and ask to speak to a manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Just tried that guys and the same girl answered the phone and said the manager is not there and hung up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The lesson is not to deal with Halfords full stop.

Never works out, they cant even manage the simplest of things. Their reserve service is a joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I'd be taking a little trip into that Halford's to cause a very public stink.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Get your other half to ring tomorrow morning from a mobile and ask for the boss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

OP, please destroy that b1tch and update the thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

youve paid for it...its yours...talk to their Head Office.

corktina wrote: »
    youve paid for it...its yours...talk to their Head Office.

Think i would prefer a refund that give them the business after that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭neil_purdy

Hate halfords... Forced to use them when im stuck but avoid at all costs usually..

Personally i found their staff are not very well trained..

My sister went to have a headlight bulb changed, i would normally do it but i was away, took them nearly an hour... I tried it later myself.. i and out in minutes...

Yeah i'm thinking i might go down and get a refund and give my Euro's to an Irish Store who appreciates the custom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭jmbkay

Hit them where it hurts, OP, and demand your money back while you have time to buy one elsewhere. Then write a letter to their MD here and in England complaining about this disgrace. Keep us updated.

jmbkay wrote: »
    Hit them where it hurts, OP, and demand your money back while you have time to buy one elsewhere. Then write a letter to their MD here and in England complaining about this disgrace. Keep us updated.

Just tried to ring their headoffice in the U.K to no avail. It says the line is open till 10pm but its just a voicemail with a load of options for which none are customer services but wait for it, its the customer services number. Doesn't seem to be any numbers for here other than store numbers, will defo be writing to them.

Just rang the other half and i needen tell you she is like a bull to a red rag.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

jmbkay wrote: »

Worth a try if you want to go that route but any refund would at their discretion. They're not legally obliged to return any money as they've fulfilled their end of the sale.. the bike is assembled and ready for collection.

In the currrent economic climate perhaps the girl heard something on the grape-vine and is doing you a favour urging you to get your bike out quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

Take your money back, make a point to the manager about the girl that rang you (and when she hung up on you). If they told you to collect it on the 19th then thats when you should be collecting it.

Take your money go to a local bike shop it might be a tad more expensive but they will be glad of the business and you will get a much better service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Did you get the girl's name? It will be a lot better for you if you did, as you'll be able to tell the manager who it was that rang you. Otherwise, you'll have nothing other than "some Dublin girl" to go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Contact them on here:

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15554_productId_722617_langId_-1_categoryId_211015

I only used the reserve procedure once, and within a minute or so of clicking on the website, I had a phonecall from Tralee telling me that the item was available for collection.

I then received an email request to leave feedback about the transaction, and couldn't do it because the facility was "unavailable" on the site.

I don't see why one little bitch would be representative of an entire business. Her manager will probably hang her out to dry when he finds out.

jor el wrote: »
    Did you get the girl's name? It will be a lot better for you if you did, as you'll be able to tell the manager who it was that rang you. Otherwise, you'll have nothing other than "some Dublin girl" to go on.

I'm sure they'd be able to wittle it down. I imagine they'd have certain people rostered in for certain areas at specific times (ie; Adam could be working Customer services from 9am to 3pm, and then Eve from 3pm til 9pm or whatever).

I'd definitely be reporting it anyway, and I'd create a fuss over it too. Ask for a discount, free services for the bike, free accessories or something. Get something out of them for it. (Though in my experience with Halfords, buying there was a mistake in the first place :( )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Davy wrote: »
    Never works out, they cant even manage the simplest of things. Their reserve service is a joke!

This is about the third 'Anti-Halfords thread' in as many months > are they really that bad? or ........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Holy crap, that's seriously amazing service there:rolleyes:

I'd certainly be making a stink,apart from the outright rudeness, the fact that she gave you,what, like 12 hours to collect it (overnight!)? That's not normal practice, especially since you paid for it!

Please update,I'm interested to see how this one pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

I'd doubt the girl took this initiative herself, IMO there had to be an under pressure upstart type of junior manager pushing this, but I cannot imagine the pressure in Halfords being that stressful.

• Advertisement

Camelot wrote: »
    This is about the third 'Anti-Halfords thread' in as many months > are they really that bad? or ........

I have seen one or two threads alright, but i still gave them the benefit of the doubt and bought stuff their which i regretted. I have used the 'reserve' service, and basically got to the store to be told its not there, nothing i can do. Nothing like can we find it in another store for you, or will i check if we have something similar in stock. I get impression they don't really care about their jobs or the service they give. Thats the impression i got from the stores i have been in anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

It's weird, I used two different Halfords stores when I was living in Scotland and in both cases the service was fantastic and the staff were knowledgable.

I can't understand why their Irish branches are so poor. I've personally only ever been to the Blanchardstown branch but it seemed to be run by a bunch of boy racer chavs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Yeah i'm thinking i might go down and get a refund and give my Euro's to an Irish Store who appreciates the custom.

Please do that - you'll get a FAR better service and a far better price.

Example.

Bosch 21" wiper blade @ halfords €15.49
    Bosch 21" wiper blades in Consort independent motor factors drumcondra €8.50

Also don't ever believe their half price "offers" - they are as true as Right price tiles 70% off offers and carpet sh1tes 5,000,000% off and extra zillion % off offers. - Or in other words, they're not "real" offers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

Davy wrote: »

+1

Had a run in with them before and ended up speaking to a "manager" absolute joke, didnt have a clue regards customer service. I took my hard earned else where and made a complaint to their head office in the Uk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MAB83

How did you get on in the end OP? I never go near Halfords anymore. I'd go out of my way to avoid them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

mcaul wrote: »
    Please do that - you'll get a FAR better service and a far better price.

Example.

Bosch 21" wiper blade @ halfords €15.49
    Bosch 21" wiper blades in Consort independent motor factors drumcondra €8.50

Also don't ever believe their half price "offers" - they are as true as Right price tiles 70% off offers and carpet sh1tes 5,000,000% off and extra zillion % off offers. - Or in other words, they're not "real" offers!

You're lucky to get a proper price from an independent motor factor, because down in Kerry, prices seem to vary from one customer to another. And you also seem to get quoted in round Euros when you ask what the price of something is.

Another habit that pisses me off is that, if they haven't got something in stock, you have to pay the postage for them to get it.

I use Ebay 99% of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

What does the fact that Halfords are English have to do with your problem with this girl? Just curious.
    Also wondering why you took the time to mention that she had a strong Dublin accent. That has nothing to do with the issue at hand, it's her awful customer service skills that make her bad at her job.

I do hope you get your bike, and I do agree that Halfords customer service is bad at best. Any time I go there there is no one at the till, they are all stood down the back talking about their night out. They blatantly see me standing there with stuff in my hand but take their time in coming over. I usually just put the stuff down and walk out when this happens, stuff like air fresheners and anti freeze is easy to come by so I take my business to somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭busman

ejmaztec wrote: »
    You're lucky to get a proper price from an independent motor factor, because down in Kerry, prices seem to vary from one customer to another. And you also seem to get quoted in round Euros when you ask what the price of something is.

Another habit that pisses me off is that, if they haven't got something in stock, you have to pay the postage for them to get it.

Ah, must be Kerry then ;-)

Have to say that that the independents that I have dealt with in Mallow and Bandon have been great. Usually get a few bob off if I ask if they can do a little bit better. Also if items are not in stock usually can get them the next day, no extra charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

OP,

Ring the regional office and or the head offices. explain to them what was said. tell them if they dont sort it out ASAP you are going to ring that girl back, record the conversation and then play that conversation back on The consumer issues section of today FM's Ray darcy show over the air live so the whole countery can hear how they treat their customers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

Call the same girl again asking questions & record the call (can be done on many mobiles) and when you are cancelling/getting a refund, cite the phone call as the reason.

Advertisement