Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unbelievable phonecall

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

busman wrote: »
    Ah, must be Kerry then ;-)

Have to say that that the independents that I have dealt with in Mallow and Bandon have been great. Usually get a few bob off if I ask if they can do a little bit better. Also if items are not in stock usually can get them the next day, no extra charge.

I always wonder whether things that happen here happen all over the country.:eek: They obviously don't. At least in Halfords you know exactly how much you're going to get robbed for, so you only have a slightly bitter taste in your mouth when you walk out with nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭neil_purdy

In an earlier post here i said i always avoid halfords... so i was there on sunday getting some batteries..:rolleyes: Local shopping centre you have to pay for parking and it looked jammers...so fe*k that!!

Anyway was waiting to pay for my stuff and the girl at the register was on the phone.. some customer looking for a member of staff for a query.. anyway staff member came down and asked who it was.. Girl informed him it was a customer query.. Guy blatantly told the girl infront of the que.. "Tell them all staff are busy or something, call back in a bit", and just walked off back down the store...

Left my batteries and went..:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Magenta wrote: »
    What does the fact that Halfords are English have to do with your problem with this girl? Just curious.
    Also wondering why you took the time to mention that she had a strong Dublin accent. That has nothing to do with the issue at hand, it's her awful customer service skills that make her bad at her job.

Hi sorry i haven't updated the thread since been tied up with work. I went down the next afternoon and after an hour of arguing with some staff members the eldest of which was no older than 20, i got a full refund.

Before i got my refund though they actually brought the bike out to me and brought it outside the store and asked which car was mine. I told him politely i didn't want the bike i wanted a refund due to very poor customer service and explained the way i was treated. I was basically told this is company policy and its what they are told to say, that if you don't come and collect within 24 hours the item is gone, end of. I said i didn't understand where the bike would be gone to, and just got blank expressions and 1 of them said it would be sold to the next customer. So while i was talking to another member of staff, as the first guy i spoke to said he would have to make a fone call to get authorisation for a refund, another chap comes out with the bike walks outside the shop with it and shouts back which car is yours pal. I said i'm not taking the bike, he said ohh yes you are i'm leaving it out here, i said leave it where you want i don't want it, he just stood there. First guy comes back and eventually after another 2 fonecalls i get my money back. Never ever again. As i left the shop one of the cheeky little ****es says to me your barred don't come back, as i turned he said ahh bud i'm only messing with ya.

Anyway brought my dollars down to The Cycle Inn in Tallaght and got a great little bike for my daughter and lads were a great help, roughly the same price too and got some accersories thrown in too.

Back to the comment above was when i said strong dublin accent, when i answered the fone i got howya this is halfords....get what i'm saying.

And the Irish comment was, i think in these hard times we should support the Local shops and Irish buisnesses the big multi nationals couldn't give a monkeys as proven in my case, and the local guy around the corner does care as also proven in my case.

Thanks for all the help and advice, and i feel i made the correct decision. Any questions please ask away.

P.S i have no connection to the bike shop in Tallaght i mentioned, i actually thought it had closed down years ago when the Esso garage got knocked down and the Greenhills road was diverted onto a new section of road, but its still there in a little cottage in a small cul de sac

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

As i left the shop one of the cheeky little ****es says to me your barred don't come back, as i turned he said ahh bud i'm only messing with ya.

PLEASE write to Halfords head office and let them know what happened. You couldn't make that stuff up, it's incredible!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Issue a Data protection notice to them that you want the cctv footage as proof of their actions.

MC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Just wondering based on the use of Bitch, B1tch and *****ers and the agesim displayed in this thread if the attitude of consumers to staff could be impacting on service received??? I dont have any conection to Halfords or condon poor service but do think comunication is a two way thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

kiwipower wrote: »
    Just wondering based on the use of Bitch, B1tch and *****ers and the agesim displayed in this thread if the attitude of consumers to staff could be impacting on service received??? I dont have any conection to Halfords or condon poor service but do think comunication is a two way thing.

It is completely possible. It is apparent from some people's posts in Consumer Issues that their attitude contributes directly to the experience they have.

This isn't always the case though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

neil_purdy wrote: »
    Hate halfords... Forced to use them when I'm stuck but avoid at all costs usually..

Personally i found their staff are not very well trained..

My sister went to have a headlight bulb changed, i would normally do it but i was away, took them nearly an hour... I tried it later myself.. i and out in minutes...
    Most of their staff are on minimum wage so I doubt if anyone qualified would be working there.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Nialloo24

It's because its only a job to pay yer way thru college! Complaints to managers r head offices r mostly in one ear out the other as far as i am concerned anyways! This happens in all retail outlets everyday so thats prob why they dont give a toss really! Shame all the same!

Nialloo24 wrote: »
    It's because its only a job to pay yer way thru college! Complaints to managers r head offices r mostly in one ear out the other as far as i am concerned anyways! This happens in all retail outlets everyday so thats prob why they dont give a toss really! Shame all the same!
    Another reason why I would prefere to go to a factors for bits and bobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

P.S i have no connection to the bike shop in Tallaght i mentioned, i actually thought it had closed down years ago when the Esso garage got knocked down and the Greenhills road was diverted onto a new section of road, but its still there in a little cottage in a small cul de sac

I've been going to that shop since I was a kid and they've always been brilliant. The service and after-sales there is unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I've been going to that shop since I was a kid and they've always been brilliant. The service and after-sales there is unreal.

Because Cycle Inn is owned and staffed by CYCLISTS! So they have enthusiasm and empathy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Most of their staff are on minimum wage so I doubt if anyone qualified would be working there.

Thats a lovely assumption to make isnt it, yes the op has had a bad experience but you cant paint all the staff the same as they are on minimum wage, do you consider anyone on minimum wage to be dumb or uncaring??? God help you if you ever have to resort to looking for a minimum wage job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I'd say if you'd have went 5 miles down the road to Carrickmines your experience would have been a world of difference.

That's why I buy very little stuff in Dublin (even before the North came cheap). There's too many retail shops full of gurriers and "howya's" who don't really give a flying fcuk. But then again, I'm a culchie where people say please and thanks in shops. It's not alot to expect.

Notice now all the same businesses are out on the street pawning their wares looking for business? It's no suprise really. Ignore customer service at your peril.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Have to agree that the Carrickmines one is very good alright. Have found both the Tallaght and Liffey Valley Halfords to be appalling, the staff I dealt with were clueless, and so so rude. The staff in the Carrickmines one have always been very helpful to me anyway when I go in with my stupid car questions (if any of you have seen some of my posts in the motors forum, you'll see what I mean) and always felt they couldn't do enough for you. Only problem I have with Carrickmines is that there's a Smyths right next door, so you can pretty much forget getting anywhere near it this side of Christmas!

OP, fair play to you for keeping the head with that lot, I'd have had a total meltdown and I reckon had my OH been with me someone would have been hospitalised :rolleyes:. I'd definitely second what eth0_ said, write to their head office and complain!!! (and if they send you some vouchers as recompense, for gods sake use them at a different halfords! ;))

eth0_ wrote: »
    PLEASE write to Halfords head office and let them know what happened. You couldn't make that stuff up, it's incredible!

Better still send them a printed copy of this thread.

Thats a lovely assumption to make isnt it, yes the op has had a bad experience but you cant paint all the staff the same as they are on minimum wage, do you consider anyone on minimum wage to be dumb or uncaring??? God help you if you ever have to resort to looking for a minimum wage job.
    The difference here is that halfords wouldn't pay the cost of a decent manager with the necessary customer service skills to run the place. If they did this incident wouldn't have happened at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭matt70iu

eth0_ wrote: »
    It's weird, I used two different Halfords stores when I was living in Scotland and in both cases the service was fantastic and the staff were knowledgable.

I can't understand why their Irish branches are so poor. I've personally only ever been to the Blanchardstown branch but it seemed to be run by a bunch of boy racer chavs...

A lot of the time you will find that the smaller Irish divisions of these multi national chains are simply not as well run or organized and do not do the company name justice. Don't want to over generalize here, but I have found this to be the case more than once:)

Advertisement