Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Exhibition !?!

• 19-11-2009 6:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if people have done exhibitions, ie. whats involved, costs, what kind of aggreement/deal is usually done with the premises owners/manager, are they usually A3 framed prints, should there be a theme etc etc ? Has anyone done one recently ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I have one in Jan, the only thing im worried about is the cost of prints and mounting.. its going to be a very laid back exhibition afaik!

The theme on our one is skateboard related art theres about 5 of us doing different things video, art, photography & audio.

Needless to say im excited.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I was involved in the Boards Exhibition earlier this year and that was a multi-contributional exhibition, where all I had to do was get a photo printed !, but just wondering if anyone has done a solo exhibition, maybe in a local showroom etc.

anyone ? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

I have some prints going into a new gallery next week, but its not a whole exhibition of my stuff per se.

What stage are you at? Have you a venue in mind or just trying to figure out how the whole thing works before approaching somewhere?

I suppose as regards costs, it depends on how much you want to spend and how you want to present yourself and your work. You could easily spend €100+ on framing and mounting one (not particularly large) image, or you could go cheaper and get a load of Ikea frames and some mounts and do your own printing.

I'm mildly terrified by putting my stuff on public display, but its exciting none the less!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Hey, I have never done one but a reasonable cost effective way I have seen in to stick the photos to backing board. This stand out, its different and looks good. All you have to do is buy the board and print the photos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

My ma and sister both have photos going into an exhibition soon. And me the photographer of the house :P

Have you a venue in mind or just trying to figure out how the whole thing works before approaching somewhere?
    Yeah kinda, ie. while having a meal at a venue and while chatting to the owner they said 'would you be interested in an exhibition?', I was gobsmaked, as to your last point....
    I'm mildly terrified by putting my stuff on public display, but its exciting none the less!smile.gif
    and thats kinda how I feel now.
    I'm meeting the owner to discuss it more, but was looking for a 'heads-up' as to what to expect.
    Thanks for the reply Dakar ;)

Well that's all positive in that you have a venue with an enthusiastic owner. I presume you'd like to sell some prints (wouldn't we all:D)

So what you now need to figure out is how to pick which prints to display (striking a balance between how you want to present yourself and your work and what you think might sell), how much you want to invest in displaying them (time, effort and money) and where you want to position your prices. Easy, no?:)

I've been thinking about all three of the above pretty intensively for the last few weeks and I don't think there are any of them that you can be sure about until you bite the bullet and stick stuff on a wall and see what people think.

You have enough fantastic shots to do this. Go for it, and good luck!

what kind of aggreement/deal is usually done with the premises owners/manager?

The arrangement I'll have with my gallery owner is that I set the price I want to get for the finished article. They put a markup on that which varies depending on whether its a print, a finished framed image, a photobook.

Then they hire extra staff and people with big sticks to control the vast crowds breaking down the doors to buy my limited edition masterpieces. At least I think that's the way it works:P

Well summed up. I feel like I've been to a psychiatrist and I now feel much better !! :D
    I presume you'd like to sell some prints
    Oh that would be nice ! with a view on upgrading my equipment.
    So what you now need to figure out is how to pick which prints to display
    Yes, that I feel could be a stickler, I'd imagine you really need to have a good head on you to get this organised (choosing photographs, processing to the n'th degree, examining, color correcting etc eek), asumming you'd have the photos in the first place !
    until you bite the bullet and stick stuff on a wall and see what people think
    :p, repeat after me, "I must bite the bullet, I must bite the bullet, I must bite the bullet" etc
    BTW, I probably won't make my mind up until after I meet with the manager. Thanks for all this Dakar, you've eased my wandering mind !
    Mmmmm.......a thought just struck me, maybe you (or others) would like to join in the exhibition !?! give ye a chance to display your work ! anyways, I'll get back with more info next week ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭emul

I have done this in two locations, similiar approach to yourself - asked and then wondered what I'd got myself into. Printed 10 * 12, framed and mounted (2" allround) and hung in restaurants with panels beside describing shot. Have also put up a bit of a bio about myself. The "caf" get €15 per print sold and the pleasure of looking at my work in the interim, I set the selling price. PM me if you want any further details, happy to talk about experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭mobileblog

Morrisseeee

I was asked to do one a few weeks ago. I didn’t really think about it and agreed. The real punch came this week when my parents got a flyer with my name on it along with a few other photographers. I was a bit shocked which left me in a position where i’m thinking my work isn’t good enough.
    Yesterday i spent some time trawling through my collection trying to pick a set. The theme read local landscapes and beyond - I’ve a few local scene shots that i think are ok, but i’m more happier with my city shots. So i’ve been fighting with myself and choice over the past few days.
    i’ve decided to do 3/4 of city shots as i think the other photographers will be doing the rocks and smokey water theme / hdr theme (don’t get me wrong - i like these at time, but i haven’t really shot this style in a long time).
    The thing is the majority of the punters coming to the exibhition will have an interest in the local scenery, and i have a feeling that my city shots wont really trigger a feeling with them.
    With this in mind i don’t want to be going all out on frames, but as Fajitas! once said, never go cheap on frames as it helps sell the image ( well something along those lines) and i strongly agree on this after seeing my recent shots being framed.

Only you can put a price on it, but make sure you cover your costs and get something out of it too. Remember it’s business.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SinisterDexter

Well first off Congrats! You must give more details nearer the time.

Anybody else got one coming up that they would like to mention the time and place?

Thanks folks, BTW mobileblog can I 'borrow' your city photos ? :D Seriously tho, that city one you got framed is excellent and would grace 'any' exhibition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

While you're shopping around you might check out the No Grants Gallery run by the temple bar cultural trust, says they only charge for maintenance of the wall.

Though an expo is not on my to-do it looks like something a group of boardsies could work together on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭mobileblog

Thanks folks, BTW mobileblog can I 'borrow' your city photos ? :D Seriously tho, that city one you got framed is excellent and would grace 'any' exhibition.

Thanks for that Morrisseeee. Yeah i'll post it down, i just wonder how many stamps it will take? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Anyone know generally what type of arrangement a restaurant/bar/coffee shop would have to displaying photos with a view to selling?

I thought they would want a percentage (between 20 and 40%) of the selling price but it seems some only want a set amount per sale (think one poster mentioned 15 euros).

Advertisement