Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destinys Gate only able to Dial gates "in range"?

• 19-11-2009 6:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭

Destinys Gate only able to Dial gates in range? Given that from earth you can dial all the gates in the Milkyway and the same for Atlantis for pegasus, how come the gate on Destiny can only dial "gates in range", and not all the gates in the given galaxy?

Maybe I missed something on this topic already, but it seems a bit strange.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Because Destiny is ancient in the trueist sense, if it was ever capable of dialing earth then it was millions of years ago.

It just doesnt have the power to be able to do this anymore, hence its only capable of dialing gets within its aloud power range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭fayer

Because Destiny is ancient in the trueist sense, if it was ever capable of dialing earth then it was millions of years ago.

It just doesnt have the power to be able to do this anymore, hence its only capable of dialing gets within its aloud power range.

I'm not talking about earth I'm afraid, I refer to the gates in the galaxy that Destiny is now in. Why can it only dial gates close to the ship, why cant it dial all the gates in that galaxy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

They use that excuse for everything. Feels like the entire premise of this wing of the star gate franchise has been the human perspective, with all those long, drawn out, melodramatic, classical guitar and piano riddled cut scenes. Seems like the show devolves into little more than daytime drama when the more mediocre cast members begin their tearful and highly emotional diatribes.

Just to note, if a vessel has the capability to travel faster than light it should have enough power to do something that is portrayed as rather trivial in other scenarios (such as activate a stargate).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,629 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

More likely wherever they were passing through was not as old a Galaxy as Milky way, with far, far fewer inhabitable planets, and hence far fewer gates.

fayer wrote: »
    I'm not talking about earth I'm afraid, I refer to the gates in the galaxy that Destiny is now in. Why can it only dial gates close to the ship, why cant it dial all the gates in that galaxy?

I answered that question in the second paragrapth, Destiny has limited power, so it can only dial gates within a aloud power range. The ship is also running on auto pilot at the momment so its only allowing gate travel to planets with resources the ship needs.

• Advertisement

Hellm0 wrote: »
    They use that excuse for everything. Feels like the entire premise of this wing of the star gate franchise has been the human perspective, with all those long, drawn out, melodramatic, classical guitar and piano riddled cut scenes. Seems like the show devolves into little more than daytime drama when the more mediocre cast members begin their tearful and highly emotional diatribes.

Just to note, if a vessel has the capability to travel faster than light it should have enough power to do something that is portrayed as rather trivial in other scenarios (such as activate a stargate).

I dont write for the show, if you want to watch a earth based stargate then ur gonna have to re watch SG1.

I dont write for the show, if you want to watch a earth based stargate then ur gonna have to re watch SG1.

Wasn't accusing you of such deeds, nor was I suggesting a preference for earth based shows. An opinion I expressed, I believe.

Well its like me watching "Eastenders" then posting on a fan forum telling them all its crap, full of human misery and not real.

Well its like me watching "Eastenders" then posting on a fan forum telling them all its crap, full of human misery and not real.

Fair enough, I hadn't realized that only your opinion matters when it comes to this issue.

(No more out of me, I promise).

I wasnt giving out to you for having a opinion i just dont understand why people search out fan forums to tell people that the show they are watching sucks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Let's keep this relatively on-topic please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭somuj

fayer wrote: »
    Destinys Gate only able to Dial gates in range? Given that from earth you can dial all the gates in the Milkyway and the same for Atlantis for pegasus, how come the gate on Destiny can only dial "gates in range", and not all the gates in the given galaxy?

Maybe I missed something on this topic already, but it seems a bit strange.

Maybe it can dial all the gates in the Galaxy. Could be that theirs just protocols in place that dosent allow it to. Seeing as how they dont have access to any high level commands of the ships operating system we cant really make that assumption yet. I know its gives a list of planets when it drops out of FTL that are accessible but untill they have full control of the ship we cant know for sure what the possibilities are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Gareth-W-A

I personally think that, while the milky way and pegasus gates can dial all gates within their respective galaxies, much like a telephone call, the destiny's gate works more like a walkie-talkie, only able to contact gates within range.

This may have something to do with destiny not having a proper point of origin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

maybe the gates never straight dialled? maybe they relayed the wormhole gate to gate to gate to destination?
    like the intergalactic bridge to pegasus.

so now we presume the current galaxy only has a handful of gates, its reasonable to assume only a few are in range of each other at a time. Venn diagram style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

I just watched the webisodes, but not fast enough for the edit timeout, and they mention the gate on destiny being waaay older than any seen before carefully calling it a 'prototype' which is always nice for a bit of plot leeway. like limited range

Advertisement