Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Monaro burnout-exhaust system catches fire

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Retard delighted he's wrecking a gorgeous car =[

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I thought your mondeo exhaust was catching fire. I went here to help!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Money to Burn :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

The noise of that engine! Holy crap!

You can see the exhaust almost glowing red at one stage during that vid. He'll need new tyres to drive home though...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

noticed the exhaust system glowing red myself :) just near the doors behind the front wheels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

The exhaust didn't catch fire. Metal can't burn (Alkali metals excepted)

It was glowing red hot, and the bodywork (plastic) or the mounting rubbers caught fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

ianobrien wrote: »
    The exhaust didn't catch fire. Metal can't burn .

Let this obnoxious, steel wool burning kid convince you of the opposite :D

(and then guess what is the common damping material in a muffler ...yepp, you guessed it ...steel wool :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

peasant wrote: »
    (and then guess what is the common damping material in a muffler ...yepp, you guessed it ...steel wool :D)
    Attach a power supply to a ball of steel wool and it catches fire. You can then light cigarettes off it. I really enjoyed physics class when I was in school. :)

I doubt yer man has steel wool in that exhaust. Looks like rubber hangers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Dark-Mavis

Would it not be all the bits of rubber catching fire on the hot exhaust?

• Advertisement

peasant wrote: »
    Let this obnoxious, steel wool burning kid convince you of the opposite :D

All I saw there was somebody heading steel wool up to 400 to 500 celcius. The wool never burned. The sparks were more than likely from the violent release of hot gases from the center of the steel wool, and it carrying the hot ends of the strands of steel wool. The steel wool would be very brittle under such heat.

Burning is an oxidation reaction involving the reaction of the object in question with a source of oxygen (typically air). The oxidation reaction that occurs very rapid, with a release of heat is generally considered burning.

C8H16 + 12O2 --> 8CO2 + 8H2O

(for the total anoraks, that's the rapid oxidation of octane, one of the constituents of petrol)

The oxidation of iron we all should be familiar with - It's RUST!

JHMEG wrote: »
    Attach a power supply to a ball of steel wool and it catches fire. You can then light cigarettes off it. I really enjoyed physics class when I was in school. :)

I doubt yer man has steel wool in that exhaust. Looks like rubber hangers etc.

Gee, how much attention did you really pay? The wool would have a high electrical resistance, generating lots of heat. It's the impurities that would have burned off.

It's the same principle of the old fashioned Tungsten filament bulb.

Gee, how much attention did you really pay? .
    Enough to get me cigarette lit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Whatever - it was a good show and the entrance fee paid by all the spectators more than covered the expense of any damage done.

We've done similar ourselves for kicks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Gee, how much attention did you really pay? The wool would have a high electrical resistance, generating lots of heat. It's the impurities that would have burned off.

It's the same principle of the old fashioned Tungsten filament bulb.

Bah, this is Motors, not science class. Better to just enjoy the burning Monaro :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

what a retard, whats the point in that exactly ?

apart from burning a few k's of tyres down to the bone and ****ing up an expensive engine i mean.

Advertisement