Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway Flooding Disruption

• 19-11-2009 7:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭

See this thread in the Galway City Forum from page 11 and a few pages back.
    • Rail line from Athenry-Ballinasloe is flooded/closed. Replacement buses, 1 hour delays.
    • Every route in and out of Athenry is impassable for cars. Only way to access the town is by train from Galway City.
    • Craughwell impassable, delays of up to 3 hours on the N6. Civil Defense and Gardai are there. Topaz service station offering tea and coffee to anyone stranded.
    • Gort closed off, delays of up to 2 hours on the N18.
    • Some hotels in Galway City have special deals for people stuck here.
    More updates in the above thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Someone from the Gardai on Galway Bay FM saying Galway-Dublin traffic should go via the N18 and N66 (Gort and Loughrea). Craughwell is completely shut down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

If you feel the need to go to Galway DON'T .

Railway Line Closed east of Athenry .

N17 from north is 2 hour tailbacks and one lane in places
    N18 from south is 2 -3 hour tailbacks and one lane just north of Gort and same between
    N6 in Craughwell is under quite a few feet of water and closed . N6 traffic is being sent across to N18 which is increased delays on that road

N81 Castlebar - Galway is open but very heavy .

Headford - Tuam is closed lest you fancy trying that one .

All minor roads between everywhere and everywhere east of the city are closed .

The motorway is discreetly open for emergency traffic from Loughrea to Galway via Athenry , if you see an emergency vehicle going onto it then follow it and you will neatly avoid the worst of the roads , it is not open east of the Loughrea link road as far as Ballinasloe .

Flood on the R348 between Derrydonnell is impassable. Just spoken to my aunt from Athenry and she had to leave her car at a friends house a few miles outside the town and walk home. She said the flood was more than knee deep.

Latest from AA Roadwatch, City Link and GoBus:
    POSTPONE ALL JOURNEYS IN GALWAY AND CORK. .. FLOODING IS ALSO NOW AFFECTING KILKENNY, TIPPERARY, MONAGHAN, MEATH, CAVAN, ROSCOMMON. *GALWAY* • The N6 Galway/ Dublin Rd is closed at Craughwell. Any drivers stuck there should turn around and go back. • Any drivers coming from Galway divert at Oranmore on the N18 to Gort (watch out for flooding & diversions south of Ardrahan). • Any drivers from Loughrea divert on the N66 to Gort (there is flooding to contend with). There is also flooding at Gort and diversions in place. • The Athenry to Ballinasloe Rd (R348) is also badly flooded. • All Bus Eireann Service from Galway to Dublin have been cancelled and morning services are in also in doubt. • On the N17 Galway/ Tuam Rd there are delays due to flooding at Two Mile Ditch. • On the N59 Galway / Clifden Rd there is flooding at Oranswell and Knockranny.
    City Link wrote:
    Latest news: All Citylink services are operating as normal

GoBus wrote:
    SERVICE UPDATE
    The 19:45 service from Galway to Dublin Airport for this evening 19th Nov has been cancelled.
    All services are experiencing delays due to the adverse weather conditions, please contact the office on (091) 564600 for further details in relation to cancellations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭fifilarue

Just passed through Ballinasloe and Suck has burst its banks. Traffic is being diverted through the town as the main N6 (Slí na hAbhainn) has been closed. Flooding on River Street aswell and people sweeping water from their houses there. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Athenry is a disaster. Took me 3 hours from Parkmore to Athenry.
    Flood on the R348 between Derrydonnell is impassable

I think I was the last car through there around 5:50pm.
    Barely made it. A car had been stuck a few minutes before and was pushed out water was approx 8inches.

No cars came after me.

All roads into/out of athenry now flooded.

horrible day

amen wrote: »
    Athenry is a disaster. Took me 3 hours from Parkmore to Athenry.

- One of my aunts had to abandon her car on the Derrydonnell side of Athenry and walk home through the flood.
    - Another of my aunts had to abandon her car the far side of Athenry and get collected by my uncle in his 4X4.
    - My cousin got stuck in a flood when driving from Athlone-Athenry and her car had to be pulled out of the flood by my uncles 4X4.
    - One of my uncles has just got home to Athenry after spending hours trying.

Crazy stuff, I don't ever remember it being this bad.

I never saw anything like this , ever . And that stupid galwaynews site and their even more banal twitter has no news :(

Sponge Bob, right here on Boards is the only place you'll get comprehensive, first-hand updates.

From GoBus on Facebook:
    All services are due to operate tomorrow Friday Nov 20th, unless the weather deteriorates overnight, lets hope it doesn't!!!

More information on their website:
    GoBus wrote:
    SERVICE UPDATE
    The 22:45/23:15 from Dublin Airport and Dublin City on 19-Nov has been cancelled due to adverse weather conditions.
    All services are scheduled to operate on Friday Nov 20th, please allow extra time for your journey as diversions will be in place
    [*]City Link saying all services operating as normal.

as normal Via massive delays around Gort and assuming it is not closed .

Craughwell is closed for at least a week until they inspect the bridge foundation .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 GrumpyOldMan

Made it from Galway to Athenry tonight via R347 from just west of Craughwell at approx 9pm Thurs night.
    Was only dicey the last quarter mile stretch into the town just before the new motorway junction. Water was 4-5 inches - nice bow wave even at 5 mph!
    Saw a few taxis and tow trucks coming out of the Derrydonnell R348 road.
    Loads of council staff around giving directions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Anyone know how much of Ennis-Athenry railway is underwater?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ShaneChr

Made it from Galway to Athenry tonight via R347 from just west of Craughwell at approx 9pm Thurs night.
    Was only dicey the last quarter mile stretch into the town just before the new motorway junction. Water was 4-5 inches - nice bow wave even at 5 mph!
    Saw a few taxis and tow trucks coming out of the Derrydonnell R348 road.
    Loads of council staff around giving directions.

That's crazy, I lived in cahercrin just off that road, went on it to athenry every day for many years and I've never seen it flooded that bad. I can't ever remember craughwell flooded so badly that the road was impassable before it. The river had a tendency to burst it's banks but only onto the field beside it.

EDIT: Does anyone know where there are pictures of the flooding in craughwell?

Ballinasloe Superintendent on GBFM saying Ballinasloe is completely shut. No diversions in place yet. They said any Galway-Dublin trafffic should go via Limerick using local diversions at Gort and with extreme caution through the flood at Leban (which is just about passable).

He said to avoid travelling if possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

KevR wrote: »
    Ballinasloe Superintendent on GBFM saying Ballinasloe is completely shut. No diversions in place yet. They said any Galway-Dublin trafffic should go via Limerick using local diversions at Gort and with extreme caution through the flood at Leban (which is just about passable).

He said to avoid travelling if possible.

There are strong hints that the M6 Ballinasloe to Galway scheme will partially open today - possibly @ 1:30pm. Only one lane each way will operate, and there's talk that the section from Galway to Loughrea (link) will be open to all traffic, while the remaining section will continue to cater for emergency services only. Don't quote me on this, but follow these links:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055745521

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055420133&page=41

http://www.galwaynews.ie/9783-new-galway-motorway-open-early-tackle-flooding-crisis

Regards!

I don't think the M6 open yet, will probably be later in the afternoon. I think they are doing final safety checks on it at the moment and apparently it will open in stages from the Galway end. Also, I heard that Traffic Corps are being sent down to enforce the 50kmh limit on the M6; local Gardai obviously don't have the resources because they are trying to get diversions in place on the many other routes which are affected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 omakey1

Thanks for providing the information
    is it save to travel from Galway to Shannon?

omakey1 wrote: »
    Thanks for providing the information
    is it save to travel from Galway to Shannon?

According to the latest AA updates Galway-Shannon is do-able but there are diversions in place and delays. I would avoid travelling unless it's absolutely necessary.

Bear in mind that Galway-Dublin traffic is getting diverted via Gort so there will be extra delays on the N18 between Galway and Gort.
    there is a stop/go system on the N18 Galway/Limerick Rd at Labane and flooding on Crowe St in Gort with diversions in place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

What size tailback are we talking with the approach to Gort?

10 mile tailbacks around Gort . One lane of N18 open .

Dublin - Galway Train Service is resumed at normal timetable . First bit of good "real news" so far . Get thee to the station now , it will be mental later :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 omakey1

Here is the map of Gort area
    with road impassable marked blue
    dd56564d118d.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

From [url]www.irishrail.ie:[/url]

Update 14.45hrs 20th November - Galway to Athlone line reopened by Corporate Communications

UPDATE 20th November 2009, 14.45hrs

Galway and Athlone line as now reopened following earlier disruption due to flooding.

14.35hrs Dublin -Galway service will operate through to Galway.

15.05 Galway - Dublin service will operate through to Dublin.

All later services on this line are expected to operate however minor delays may be experienced.

This website will be updated as we continue to monitor weather conditions.

Iarnród Éireann apologises for the inconvenience caused.

http://irishrail.ie/news_centre/travel_alerts.asp?action=view&news_id=569

• Registered Users Posts: 42 mgegan

ShaneChr wrote: »
    That's crazy, I lived in cahercrin just off that road, went on it to athenry every day for many years and I've never seen it flooded that bad. I can't ever remember craughwell flooded so badly that the road was impassable before it. The river had a tendency to burst it's banks but only onto the field beside it.

EDIT: Does anyone know where there are pictures of the flooding in craughwell?

Pictures of flooding in Craughwell at

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1120/flooding_gallery.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

RTE Radio 1 just confirmed that a section of the M6 has opened in the last 30 minutes.

That's the section bypassing Ballinasloe.

The Galway-Loughrea section won't open until possibly 9 or 10pm as they haven't yet finished putting down traffic cones.

Irish Rail update - Ballinasloe to Athlone railway line is closed.
    Irish Rail wrote:

Update 10.20hrs 22nd November - Ballinasloe to Athlone line closed: flooding by Corporate Communications
    UPDATE 22nd November 2009, 10.20hrs
    The Ballinalsoe to Athlone rail line is closed due to flooding.
    Galway/Dublin services will operate with bus transfers between Galway and Athlone as a result.
    Local trains will operate from Galway to Athenry/Woodlawn. However, customers travelling to and from stations between Athlone and Dublin should avail of the bus transfers detailed above.
    These arrangements will continue throughout today Sunday 22nd November. Further details will be updated on this website.

N65 via Portumna now closed at shannon bridge .

Ballyforn is also closed on the Tuam - Athlone road owing to flooding .

The Banagher Bridge may be open but the roads from Killimor- Eyrecourt - Banagher is dreadful even if it is open .

Try to divert via Athlone and the M6/N6 if coming from the midlands or south east to Galway . It is the only way into Galway from the east right now .

• Registered Users Posts: 10 hekate

Hi, I am in the middle of nowhere (Kylebrack area in the Woodford Road) Need to travel to work tomorrow to Roscrea, Co Tipp, last week the accesses to Portumna through the Abbey/ Tynagh road were very flooded. Given the fact that it is continuously raining i suspect it would be worse today and .I have already read that the Portumna bridge is closed but dont know if the access to Portumna through the Portumna forest park is passable so i could go to Killimor and try from Eniscourt and Banagher. Anyone travelling in that area?Could you tell me are there any safe enough routes or should i cancel work again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Main road from Limerick disrupted late last night with detours at:

-Gort, Crowe St.
    -Kiltartan
    -Labane

Detours are relatively short but will probably back up at busy times.

• Advertisement

Roads from north at standstill. Do not leave Mayo or Sligo for Galway , end of .

I don't really understand where these people come out of :(

1. There is ONE ROAD into Galway from the north , the Headford Road .
    2. Tailbacks are 3 hours now . If you are in Mayo or Sligo now TURN AROUND.
    3. The wind across the lake is pushing water over the Headford Road and the Clare River will not fall for a day or two at least .

Do NOT travel to Galway from the north before Thursday , we have more rain and a storm on the way and there is no road in for ye until Claregalway is officially opened .

If you really must come to Galway then DO come VIA Athlone and give yourself plenty of time but that road is moving and Athlone-Galway takes 1.5-2 hours outside the morning rush hour where it could take 2.5 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 hekate

Travelled to Roscrea today from the Loughrea/Woodford area.
    Portumna bridge closed as the Shannon overflooded there.
    Took the Banagher road and i saw the water is pretty high in Banagher. Worried that if this route floods i wont be able to come home tonight.
    Anyone has any idea of forecasts for this area?

Best bet is that the river has peaked in Banagher by now Hekate . It has dropped in Ballinasloe this morning .

Thatnks to the stupidity of the Mayo and Sligo media the message is not getting through . The tailback north of Galway is now 4 Hours on the only road open from the rest of Connaught .

Do not come to Galway from the North EXCEPT through Athlone and if you are stuck up there in Clonboo turn around before you run out of petrol becuase there is no petrol out there at all (or south of Ballinrobe anyway)

There is NO GARAGE OPEN between Dublin and Loughrea unless you pull off the Motorway !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

From www.irishrail.ie

Update 16.45hrs 23rd November - Galway to Athlone line reopens by Corporate Communications

UPDATE 23rd November 2009, 16.45hrs

The Galway to Athlone rail line has reopened following earlier flooding. Full services have resumed between Galway and Dublin.

Iarnród Éireann apologises for the inconvenience caused.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 becksy

does anyone know how bad the flood is getting in banagher? my home place is very near the shannon :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭dotsflan

becksy wrote: »
    does anyone know how bad the flood is getting in banagher? my home place is very near the shannon :(

its pretty bad at the moment! houses in portavolla have been flooded! and theres talks that the bridge might be closed

/my bad

Water is ominously still rising in Athlone according to RTE News just now.

Advertisement