Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who do you want to win the World Cup?

• 19-11-2009 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭

So the boys in green are out and we won't have a team to support in the summer. Who would you like to see win now that Ireland are out?
    I'm not sure who to support. Possibilities:

France: My Dad's French and I've supported France for every major tournament since 1996, but after last night I may have to reconsider. Don't know if I could bring myself to support Henry and co. after going out in such a sickening way.

England: I'm considering England. My mum is English so half of my family is English. I usually love following England in major tournaments purely for the joy of seeing them fail. But they have become a lot more tolerable lately and the general response in England to our misfortune has made me think that I should support our nearest neighbours. I also don't go along with the whole historical hatred of England just because we're Irish. The only things that would put me off supporting them is the general media hype, allusions to 1966, horrible lager louts/hooligans celebrating their wins and Clive Tyldesley. After so long of wishing them failure I'm not sure if I could bring myself to supporting them this time round.

Spain: The Liverpool link isn't as strong as it once was, but I'd still like to see Spain do well. They would be the footballing choice as they are probably the best footballing team technically.

Slovenia: The scenes when they beat Russia were amazing, I was very happy for their players they looked so delighted. I've been to Slovenia a couple of times and it's a great place: the people are so friendly. To beat Russia was an amazing achievment and it's hard not to wish them the best for this tourney.

*Poll to follow: 25 is the most amount of options so I'll have to leave out 8 teams and put in an 'other' option.

Who do you want to win the 2010 World Cup? 249 votes

Denmark
    0% 0 votes
    England
    1% 3 votes
    France
    17% 44 votes
    Germany
    7% 19 votes
    Greece
    4% 11 votes
    Italy
    0% 1 vote
    Netherlands
    3% 9 votes
    Portugal
    10% 25 votes
    Serbia
    1% 3 votes
    Slovakia
    1% 4 votes
    Slovenia
    0% 1 vote
    Spain
    4% 10 votes
    Switzerland
    28% 72 votes
    Algeria
    0% 1 vote
    Cameroon
    1% 3 votes
    Ivory Coast
    1% 3 votes
    Ghana
    1% 3 votes
    Nigeria
    2% 5 votes
    South Africa
    0% 0 votes
    Argentina
    0% 0 votes
    Brazil
    4% 11 votes
    Uruguay
    6% 17 votes
    Chile
    0% 2 votes
    Paraguay
    0% 1 vote
    Other (state) - Mexico, U.S.A., Honduras, Australia, Japan, Korea Republic, New Zealand, Korea DPR
    0% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

ABF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Spain provided they play like they did in the Euros.

A joy to watch. Packed with good players and use them in a positive manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

france too lose by same as they did to ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I'd like the most entertaining team to win it, Spain, Holland, Brazil, Argentina, hell, even England if they play well. I've never picked a team I want to win and just stuck with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Italy, have supported them ever since I first layed eyes on James Richardson with an overpriced ice cream

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Personally I hope the french are thrashed by the lowest seeded team 3-0 in all the group matches, and then egged on the way home.

Italy cos' their anthem is cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Who do I want to win the World Cup?

Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Not France.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

The Netherlands to beat France in the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Tellox wrote: »

Ireland.

jagger460.jpg
    You can't always get what you want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Tellox wrote: »

Ireland.

Eh dunno if you heard about the match last night...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I'll probably cheer on a team outside South America and Europe if they get far enough. It'd be a nice change to see a different continent managing to win it (as long as it's on merit, i.e. not like Korea in 2002). It's a tall order. Anyone watch any of the African teams? Is there anyone good enough to do it?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Germany, just cos.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Netherlands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Italy, due to being to half Italian. I've also gained a new appreciation for the work of a certain Marco Materazzi after last night.

I'd like to see Slovenia do well. They stuck a finger up at Fifa and the whole ranking system by beating Russia, and also my sister lives there which gives me a more personal connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

france

henry to get player of the tournament and the golden boot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Paraguay because i backed them to :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

the country that plays the best soccer

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭smoochie06

Spain because i think they play some of the best football on their day and also because of the brilliant Nando.
    I wouldnt mind seeing England do well either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

ANY team that BEAT FRANCE ,otherwise germany,holland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Spain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

england!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Spain, or......**** it England why not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Algeria, Their fans were some crack in town last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Spain, Ivory Coast, or Argentina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Mexico or Spain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭rizzee

Netherlands.

Would love an all Korean final though - that would be fun!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Germany to beat france - 1940 style

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

rizzee wrote: »
    Netherlands.

Would love an all Korean final though - that would be fun!

Talk about world war 3!?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I voted France, to be controversial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,481 ✭✭✭finbarrk

U.S.A. Good supporters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I hope England win it... And I honestly think they will

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

CMON ENGLAND!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

anyone but france or england.

anyone but france or england.

why not England ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Headshot wrote: »
    why not England ?
    Do you not remember the 800 years? They were horrible ! Gawwd !

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Flipz4Rollz

England. I dont get how the irish hate on england in every major tournament yet most follow their league religiously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

I reckon England are in with a chance this time. The current team is more balanced and can actually play some good football not the same dour crap as seen in the past few years before Capello.

Spain are playing well and are on top form whether they can being that into the world cup remains to be seen. They have quality in every department but I reckon they can be very dependent on Fabregas to change big games.

Overall I reckon a England - Spain final is possible but Germany or Argentina also offer a danger.

Headshot wrote: »
    why not England ?

I'm already sick and tired of sky sports news constatntly repeating the whole handball incident, imaging the overdrive they'd hit if England won the world cup is scary. I remember watching the ashes this year, and in the build up a few weeks before it they kept showing the ashes they won 4 years ago as if the whole hammering they took in austrailia never happened. Again I could just imagine England WC shows being show 24/7 on all sky channels, no thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Algeria,Slovenia,Ivory Coast or Ghana.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Dave! wrote: »
    Do you not remember the 800 years? They were horrible ! Gawwd !

its always 800 years, has been for years, surely it must be about 810 years now :p

I'm already sick and tired of sky sports news constatntly repeating the whole handball incident, imaging the overdrive they'd hit if England won the world cup is scary. I remember watching the ashes this year, and in the build up a few weeks before it they kept showing the ashes they won 4 years ago as if the whole hammering they took in austrailia never happened. Again I could just imagine England WC shows being show 24/7 on all sky channels, no thanks.

And rightly so don't you think, are our media not the same?

tech2 wrote: »
    I reckon England are in with a chance this time. The current team is more balanced and can actually play some good football not the same dour crap as seen in the past few years before Capello.

Spain are playing well and are on top form whether they can being that into the world cup remains to be seen. They have quality in every department but I reckon they can be very dependent on Fabregas to change big games.

Overall I reckon a England - Spain final is possible but Germany or Argentina also offer a danger.

no chance

England. I dont get how the irish hate on england in every major tournament yet most follow their league religiously.

I don't get the media hype as an excuse, I really don't

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

If the Dutch turn up and play some football the right way ill cheer them on a team that plays football the right way...would also like to see an African team go far..Ghana Probs have best chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Honduras for me, only because I've worked there for a short time and loved the country.

No chance though but sure, if Ireland's not there then... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

between Spain or England for me, although Rafa won't like me saying that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I hope Brazil, Argentina or the Ivory Coast - all for purely financial reasons. Brazil are looking ominous already and I believe they will win.

Ignoring money it would be fun to see some devil may care team win it - perhaps some African team or it would be good craic to see Australia do well.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    And rightly so don't you think, are our media not the same?

They would, but I'm Irish so I wouldn't really mind that. I also left out the fact that I can't stand players like John Terry, Wayne Rooney, Ashley Cole and Rio Ferdinand so seeing thats win a WC medal would be fairly annoying as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Now Russia aren't there I'm going for the Netherlands.

• Advertisement
Advertisement