Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who do you want to win the World Cup?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

i voted for the ould espana

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Spain

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭postalservice

Slovenia.....100%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Mr Alan wrote: »
    between Spain or England for me, although Rafa won't like me saying that

I doubt Rafa cares.

I won't be supporting a team just watching some unbiased football, but voted Germany, cause I can.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

England please.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Chile. Because I have friends there and stayed with them for a while. They're good now, 14th in world I think they are ranked. Even the guys in Chile were telling me earlier that the Hand of Frog was all over the news there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

15 out of 91 supporting England? Very low considering the amount of people here that support english towns so much at club level

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Argentina ftw, I have an image of Maradona doing his post-final conference Tony Montana style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

North Korea. was there on holiday last year. they have a complete tool as a leader, and their education is .. erm.... slightly biased, but the people are unbelievably nice. i've got the flag to fly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Spain for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

I'd like to see any of the following win;

From Europe - Holland or England
    From Africa - Any really but preferably Cote d'Ivoire
    From Elsewhere - Australia or Chile

I'm going to vote for Australia - would relly love to see them do well again though I don't think they can win. Holland would be my second preference, followed by Cote d'Ivoire.

I would hate to see France or Spain go far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Serbia or the USA for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Spain or England.

Nando or Stevie.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Choice 1 USA (Cool Country)
    Choice 2 Uruguay (A purists wet dream)
    Choice 3 Brazil (The default option)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Quint wrote: »
    15 out of 91 supporting England? Very low considering the amount of people here that support english towns so much at club level

Well Liverpool are mostly Spanish and Arsenal mostly French :D

Club Soccer is an international game now while clubs are based in certain locations it really mean little else.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Personally i think that Brazil will win it. At the end of the day they usually perform in the big tournaments and i reckon Spain may bottle it yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    Well Liverpool are mostly Spanish and Arsenal mostly French :D

Club Soccer is an international game now while clubs are based in certain locations it really mean little else.

Disagree, I would still consider Arsenal etc as English clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

England or Spain

An England v Germany final would be cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Slovenia, ftw! I'd love to see them do well, as they are a small country like ourselves. I'd love to see Uruguay do well also (Diego Forlan).

I'd like to see Argentina or Holland win it. Maybe even England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

France to not win. Ever. Dirty cheats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Quint wrote: »

People might support English clubs but, even if their club is strongly represented in the English team, there are still plenty of dislikeable characters still there.

I voted for Spain, I really like how they play football, they have so many great players and they won me money at Euro 08.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Come on England!!!!

We're gonna score more goals than you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

North Korea. was there on holiday last year. they have a complete tool as a leader, and their education is .. erm.... slightly biased, but the people are unbelievably nice. i've got the flag to fly!

I do think that if they can get a run going they'd be the most entertaining team to win if only for the propaganda celebrations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Australia. Robbed in 2006 and this is the last chance for a really good generation of players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Do the Aussies have a genuine chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Do the Aussies have a genuine chance?

Of winning it? No. Good shout for a quarter final spot with a good draw and fully fit squad. It'll be good craic over here anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Slovenia or England

Like someone already said their players and fans reaction the other night was fantastic to see ,Reminded me of 1990. Love to see a so called small country do well. Also wouldn't mind seen England do well (just ignore their media )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Like to see Spain do it.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    between Spain or England for me, although Rafa won't like me saying that
    Reganio 2 wrote: »
    I doubt Rafa cares.

LOL beat me to it!! :D

I voted France to be convtroversial but I'd like to see Holland win it tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

England. I dont get how the irish hate on england in every major tournament yet most follow their league religiously.

Its an international league really, it just happens to be played in England.
    I support Liverpool not England.

I'm up for Spain, dont really mind who wins as long as its not France or England. If i had to choose France or England to win i'd pick France.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Spain because I have them backed also have Nigeria and the Ivory Coast backed at over 80/1 Africa have a real chance of their first ever World Cup with strong teams including Ghana.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

dont really mind who wins as long as its not France or England. If i had to choose France or England to win i'd pick France.
    I would have to say for the first time ever it would have to be England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

COME ON ENGLAND

COME ON ENGLAND

COME ON ENGLAND

New Zealand to beat France on penalties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I hope Spain do well in the WC, they've had a lot of talented players over the years but it's not always been reflected in success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Its an international league really, it just happens to be played in England.
    I support Liverpool not England.

Not it's an English league, hence the whole English Premier League. You support Liverpool who are in the English Premier League.

Going for Portugal, not much interest in international football but been on holidays to Portugal like 13 odd times so it's like a home from home and well love the Portuguese people and the football they play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Slovenia without any doubt. Their victory over Russia was a victory for the little guy and the ultimate V-Sign to FIFA for the playoff fiasco. Its little consolation to Ireland but I took a lot of delight in seeing them win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,884 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Want an African team to win...Chose Ghana...i like them anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭budgemook

France or England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Italy, because they said they wanted to do it for Trap and the lads.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I'm already sick and tired of sky sports news constatntly repeating the whole handball incident, imaging the overdrive they'd hit if England won the world cup is scary. I remember watching the ashes this year, and in the build up a few weeks before it they kept showing the ashes they won 4 years ago as if the whole hammering they took in austrailia never happened. Again I could just imagine England WC shows being show 24/7 on all sky channels, no thanks.

Imagine if the final was England V France with Henry scoring the winner :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

Imagine if the final was England V France with Henry scoring the winner :)

with a flick of the hand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

with a flick of the hand

"The Hand of Cheat" doesn't have as good a ring to it as "The Hand of God".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

Italy 'cause I am Italian, easy :D

I would love to see Italy vs England in the final, obv beating France again would be sweet but that feud has been going on for the past 10 years now, so it is time for a new one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭GO'S

argentina

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Morzadec wrote: »

England: But they have become a lot more tolerable lately and the general response in England to our misfortune has made me think that I should support our nearest neighbours. I also don't go along with the whole historical hatred of England just because we're Irish. The only things that would put me off supporting them is the general media hype, allusions to 1966, horrible lager louts/hooligans celebrating their wins and Clive Tyldesley. After so long of wishing them failure I'm not sure if I could bring myself to supporting them this time round.

this !

for once, for this one competition I'm going to support England. Provided the allusions to 1966 and the media hype don't get too overbearing

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Dear me, how anyone could support England is beyond me. If they won, it would mentioned in every single commentary and Sky sports programme for the next century at least.

And their team is hardly likeable either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Spain to win it, and I hope Slovenia get a good run also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

Serbia at 66/1 is very interesting.

That's where my money and support will be going.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

England all the way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

DB10 wrote: »
    Dear me, how anyone could support England is beyond me. If they won, it would mentioned in every single commentary and Sky sports programme for the next century at least.

And their team is hardly likeable either.

and if Ireland won we wouldn't?

it's not their fault we insist on using their media for our information.

we support English teams every week in the PL, i don't understand begrudging them being successful at the world cup.

• Advertisement
Advertisement