Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who do you want to win the World Cup?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Why do peoplr have a thing with the media reaction, I don't get it :confused:

The Irish media has been in overdrive the last couple of weeks with Irelands match, mentions of all past tournaments Ireland have played it, why shouldn't the English media engage in the same thing for there team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

SlickRic wrote: »
    and if Ireland won we wouldn't?

it's not their fault we insist on using their media for our information.

we support English teams every week in the PL, i don't understand begrudging them being successful at the world cup.

Thats very true, 21 years later & nearly every sinlge week in the papers theres some reference made to Euro 88. A game that didnt have any effect on a tournaments outcome & one I'd be pretty sure no other country in the world can rember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

tdv wrote: »
    Thats very true, 21 years later & nearly every sinlge week in the papers theres some reference made to Euro 88. A game that didnt have any effect on a tournaments outcome & one I'd be pretty sure no other country in the world can rember.

Thats hardly true tbh. You are trying to say since footballs induction there hasn't been an upset that hasn't been included in a clubs/countries history ?Seriously that is such a weakassed statement.No local paper to any semi pro team who beat a pro team anywhere in the world won't reference it every year they are involved in something ? Come on , if an alleged football world superpower like England can harp on about winning a world cup won on home soil from 50 years ago then i am sure a pitiful nation like ours can harp on about knocking them out of a major comp ? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

d22ontour wrote: »
    Thats hardly true tbh. You are trying to say since footballs induction there hasn't been an upset that hasn't been included in a clubs/countries history ?Seriously that is such a weakassed statement.No local paper to any semi pro team who beat a pro team anywhere in the world won't reference it every year they are involved in something ? Come on , if an alleged football world superpower like England can harp on about winning a world cup won on home soil from 50 years ago then i am sure a pitiful nation like ours can harp on about knocking them out of a major comp ? :rolleyes:

It was probally the worst English showing in a major torunament. They lost there other two games in that group aswell so we didnt actually knock them out all by oursleves.

People over here talk about it like it was a miracle that we actually beat them but if you look at the teams player for player there was not much between the two sides really. Most Irish players were playing for top clubs at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

England definitly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

DB10 wrote: »
    Dear me, how anyone could support England is beyond me. If they won, it would mentioned in every single commentary and Sky sports programme for the next century at least.

And their team is hardly likeable either.

I'm not supporting them just reckon they have a good chance of winning it this time. I know their media go hyperactive when they win a game but sure we'll have to deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

tdv wrote: »
    but if you look at the teams player for player there was not much between the two sides really. Most Irish players were playing for top clubs at the time.
    We had some exceptional players around that period that is true,but, it doesn't deflect from us as a miniscule country in footballing terms beating a 'supposed' world superpower footballing wise.Our ambitions are just to try and qualify for tournaments not to win them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

As a pool fan, I would like to see Spain go out in group stages so we have Torres back fresh for new season. Btw how did england get 40 votes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Gotta be Spain for me.

Torres, Riera, Reina.

Come on the Pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

As a pool fan, I would like to see Spain go out in group stages so we have Torres back fresh for new season. Btw how did england get 40 votes?

-Nearest Neighbours
    -Speak the same language
    -Have very similar cultures
    -Most Irish people follow the EPL as their main League and support an English team and English players
    -People are likely to have extended family living there/from there
    -The English were very sympathetic to our bad luck against the French
    -The vast majority of English would support us if we were in the World Cup and they weren't.

Not too surprising that they've picked up quite a few votes. When you take these factors into account, they're probably the most logical choice for a lot of people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I see there are 16 trolls on the forum :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

thebman wrote: »

Lol well I still havn't voted and my vote may go to France and I'm not a troll!

Although I've seen about 3 posts saying they voted France 'to be controversial'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

thebman wrote: »

More like 46 ;)

Morzadec wrote: »
    -Nearest Neighbours
    -Speak the same language
    -Have very similar cultures
    -Most Irish people follow the EPL as their main League and support an English team and English players
    -People are likely to have extended family living there/from there
    -The English were very sympathetic to our bad luck against the French
    -The vast majority of English would support us if we were in the World Cup and they weren't.

Not too surprising that they've picked up quite a few votes. When you take these factors into account, they're probably the most logical choice for a lot of people.
    Yeah we support our childhood clubs of whom some players line out for the English team. But do we Really want them to win the World Cup. They still have not shut up about sixty six. Argentina for me. They are moody as hell but still they bring something unpredictable to the competition.Messi I'm sure will be the star of the tournament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Come on Cameroon, your time is now! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

France, but I don't think we'll do it with Domenech. At least if France win, the Irish can say they were beaten by the best.

Ze Germans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

An Asian team- Australia!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Brian Capture

England. I dont get how the irish hate on england in every major tournament yet most follow their league religiously.

because they're hypocritical idiots.

• Advertisement

Spain for me

surprise, surprise. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Spain

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    Well Liverpool are mostly Spanish and Arsenal mostly French :D

Club Soccer is an international game now while clubs are based in certain locations it really mean little else.

Bullsh*t.

Anything to get out of being called a hypocrite.

Its an international league really, it just happens to be played in England.
    I support Liverpool not England.

:rolleyes:

oh right then.

so when the league was predominately made up of UK players in the 70's and 80's, no Irish people supported it? You're saying they only waited until it became "more international"??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

If England won it would make baby Jesus cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭clap-for-trap

i want france to win! dont get me wrong i f****ng hate them for what happened but it would show how far ireland could have went! we could destroy that france team had we finished our chances!!

• Advertisement

:rolleyes:

oh right then.

so when the league was predominately made up of UK players in the 70's and 80's, no Irish people supported it? You're saying they only waited until it became "more international"??
    Well they did in the late seventies because it was made up almost entirely of liverpool players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Commmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmme onnnnnnnn England :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

surprise, surprise. :rolleyes:

and how is it a surprise, surprise?

and how is it a surprise, surprise?

Your Celtic obsession (The Lisbon Lions) means you always support either Spain or Portugal at major tournaments.

Advertisement