Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strange Boot Problem!

• 19-11-2009 7:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭

hello
    i've been having a bizare boot problem with my xps 600 (4-5 years old)
    nforce 4 mobo with 2x500gb drives in raid 0

the computer and all accessories are plugged into a power strip under my desk.
    normally after i turn off the comp at night i hit the switch on the power strip killing all power to the system+ speaker +external hdd etc.

in the morning i turn the power strip on and attemp to boot.
    the boot fails citing no boot drive detected,
    if i select boot options and drive diagnostics, no hdds are listed!:eek:

if i then power down the computer leaving the power strip on and wait a while..(anything from 15 mins) it boots fine.

if i dont turn off the power strip at night, it boot fine the next morning!

i've checked all cables and connections between drives and mobo.

its a strange problem indeed, my hunch is that either some capacitors in the psu are dying or dead and need a good bit of time to charge up before they can supply nescessary voltage to the hdds, or something similar on the mobo.

i dont think the hdds drives are faulty, maybe the raid controller on the mobo?

i thought i'd post it here in case anyone else has experienced the same!
    for now i'll just keep the power strip on!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

replace your cmos battery (the small 1€ sized one on the motherboard) this will sort the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,216 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You can find them in pharmacies or generic electronic shops half the time. PC stores and Watch Repair centres tend to charge more for them - but almost always have them in stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭c-note

sweet thanks for the suggestion.

can't believe that didnt occur to me!
    i've just remembered...
    bout 4-6 mnths ago i got a "low system battery voltage" message when booting only happened the once so i ignored it.
    i'll pick up a new battery and see how it goes!;)

Advertisement