Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Book Club #2: American Gods by Neil Gaiman - Discussion

• 19-11-2009 7:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭

Right so. It's nearly three weeks since American Gods was selected as the second book in our book club. How's everybody finding it? Are most people finished at this stage or what?

I think if we want to discuss plot details at this stage, we should still use spoiler tags, at least until we know how far along everybody is.

I finished it earlier in the week but will hold back my opinions until people give an indication or where we are.

Discuss!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I actually had no idea this was the bookclub book!!!

I have been reading it nearly 6 weeks now but have 70 pages to go because it is a hard book to settle into to read IMO.

Will give my proper Opinion when I finish it.

I am reading the longer draft version with 16000 extra words on the original release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Read it. Finished it. Waiting to discuss.

Didn't know there was a 'directors cut' version. I might have to go and get that just to see what the difference is.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I am reading the longer draft version with 16000 extra words on the original release.
    OldGoat wrote: »
    Read it. Finished it. Waiting to discuss.

Didn't know there was a 'directors cut' version. I might have to go and get that just to see what the difference is.

Yeah I have the "Author's Preferred Text" version or something like that.

This one.

I have been reading it nearly 6 weeks now but have 70 pages to go because it is a hard book to settle into to read IMO.

Was the opposite to you minidazzler, I was reading large chunks of it when I got the chance. 672 pages and I got through it quite quickly.

Is it literally only me and OldGoat that read this for the Book Club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

nope
    I've read it. Had started just before we announced it as the winner. A few others have already read it too.

I also read the directors cut, not sure of the difference? anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

i've read it too, the authors preferred text (the version with the extra words).
    i liked it, it has a nice flow to it, i wasn't dreading reading it at any stage. has anyone read anything else by gaiman?

I've read his whole collection. :o
    I used to work for Forbidden Planet in London and Neil was one of those faces that showed up at every book launch, comic signing, excuse for drinking. Can't say I ever warmed to the man but we did know a few mutual friends. When I saw his first novel I had to read it and tbh I was very taken with his writting. So now I tend to cast my eye over anything he's been involved in, graphic novels, film, novel.

nkay1985 wrote: »

Was the opposite to you minidazzler, I was reading large chunks of it when I got the chance. 672 pages and I got through it quite quickly.

yeah, I read it 100 pages at a time really, but it would be a long time between readings!!!!

I finished it tonight, and I have to say, while it is a very very good book it's a bit drawn, reading it is difficult because I just couldn't settle while doing so!

I tried, but I just couldn't.

It's very well written and thought out, I love the Characters, especially Mr. Wednesday. He was so well thought of and the over reaching plan was brilliant.

All in all, I really liked the book, but it was hard going.

8/10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I've read it and love it but at times it can be hard going alright :)

Wednesday is fantastic and the whole premise of the book is amazing. Love it :D

r3nu4l wrote: »
    I've read it and love it but at times it can be hard going alright :)

Wednesday is fantastic and the whole premise of the book is amazing. Love it :D

I agree, especially on the premise. That every "fad" was actually worshipping a God, I loved.

I actually didn't see the Hinnzleman bit coming at all. That was a surprize until Shadow found out!

Shadow was an easy character to relate to IMO, just honest and hard working. I liked him.

I did find myself at times feeling ashamed for Laura, so I guess that is a good reaction, one Gaiman was looking for.

It would have been nice to know what happened to Tessy(that was the cars name right?) though.

The Book left questions, but TBH, I spent so long reading it that it's like that God who was in the back seat of the car on the way to the restaurant after all the old God's were backstage.

It's there, then it's not. I forget about it too quick.

I think someday when I am bored or I am going to the beach, I will pick it up again. But maybe I won't. Either way, it's a Very well written book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭ItsNoAlias

I've read his whole collection. :o
    I used to work for Forbidden Planet in London and Neil was one of those faces that showed up at every book launch, comic signing, excuse for drinking. Can't say I ever warmed to the man but we did know a few mutual friends. When I saw his first novel I had to read it and tbh I was very taken with his writting. So now I tend to cast my eye over anything he's been involved in, graphic novels, film, novel.

I agree with you about the man, but the writing is superb. I have read American Gods a few times and I really enjoy it but it is a bit drawn out and the humour is less obvious then some of his other books. His characterisation is very good with Laura being one of my favorites, even if its been done before.

This is one of the best examples integration of classic mythological characters into a modern world. it has been done before but rarely this well. While the paces slows mid book if you keep reading the reward is worth it.

Did anyone else get the impression that the Hinnzleman story was uneccessary? I felt like there was the Shadow story but the publishers thought the novel was too short and Gaimen just chucked the the Hinnzleman story into the mix. Hinnzleman could have stood well as a short story and the main novel didn't really get much extra beyond bulking out the pagecount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

Did anyone else get the impression that the Hinnzleman story was uneccessary? I felt like there was the Shadow story but the publishers thought the novel was too short and Gaimen just chucked the the Hinnzleman story into the mix. Hinnzleman could have stood well as a short story and the main novel didn't really get much extra beyond bulking out the pagecount.

(Just finished the book the other day, thought I might jump into the discussion =)

I think it tied together a lot of the important elements of the story. Shadow needed to be kept somewhere safe. He also needed to be caught by the enemy at the end of his stay. Sure, coincidences and any old town could have worked, but a bit of divine influence made it, if ironically, a bit more believable. It gave meaning to some parts of the story that might have been just idle otherwise, and it also added to Shadow's image of justice.

It probably could have been left out, but I liked having it there. The book deals with gods and how they die, some were murdered, some commit suicide and some just faded. It was interesting to see how Hinzelman loved his town, but knew that he couldn't continue and so engineered his own, slightly ungraceful, demise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Bought this just the other day. On to Chapter 5 at the moment. Quite good so far. Will give my proper feedback when I've finished it.

Has anyone read both the original and the extended version of the book and if so is there anything worthwhile added to the story?

Also, whats the next bookclub book to read?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Who picks the book? Do we put up a poll or make suggestions....?

I've just finished and I did like it but as minidazzler said previously, I couldn't settle into reading it.

It was extremely well written and the characters were easy to relate to but it's partially my own fault because I would read a couple of chapters, go back to it 5 days later and forget what happened previously.... I was just extremely busy when reading it with college exams etc.

I'll pick it up again sometime and give it my full attention.

Oh and that Laura one is a tramp. :)

it is a book that needs concentration and i think your right in that you need to read it consistantly. Back and forth dabbling can just leave you confused. Especially as the characters are complex and the relationships between them are very tangled.

@ Oldgoat

I read the extended edition. I remember wikipedia telling me what the differences were. I'll see if I can find the article again

I'll have a look myself too.

A book suggestion: Cormac McCarthys The Road.
    I'd like to re-read it before seeing the film. I remember it as being bleak and chilling but utterly enthralling. I hope the film does it justice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭trout

Another suggestion: Last night in Twisted River, John Irving. It was my snowbound Christmas read; his best book by far.

• Advertisement

I'm up for reading anything. I've started re-reading The Selfish Gene though and between the tiny writing and the fact that it requires a bit of concentration, the 50 pages I've read so far feel like 100!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

I'm up for a read also...I'll go along with whatever is chosen....usually read non-fiction/biog etc but being told to go read a book I know nothing about -especially not knowing the author- would be part of the fun...or misery...of the experience..:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

suggestion:

Neuromancer by William Gibson

The birth of a sci fi era =D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

I've got a question about this book

Does anyone know who the god Wednesday meets in Las Vegas is?

New thread for suggestions of a new book. I know AG is a big book but surely it's not taking people this long to read it is it?

I recommend anything by James Patterson. Fantastic author.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

how is the new book decided? who decides, and when....********he says, anxious to take up a book reading challenge*****....

Cicero wrote: »
    how is the new book decided? who decides, and when....********he says, anxious to take up a book reading challenge*****....

How about Trent. The complete works? :)

will we open a new thread with for suggestions on a new book? we can keep it open for a few days, giving everyone enough time to make suggestions, then we'll take those, make a poll and let that run for a short while, and voila, we've got our choice.

hows that sound?

Advertisement