Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handguns for sporting purposes on The 6 O'clock Phone In show, Q102

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

rrpc wrote: »
    See I'm going to have to disagree with you here Mick and say that we have agreed on things from time to time. :eek:

Cheers. I don't make distinctions about our sports in public. We're all the one as far as I'm concerned.

In private though, you're all a shower of backstabbing baxtards who'd sell your granny for a box of ammo. :D

Keep up the good work.

Sikamick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

No I'm am not talking about hunting with spears as seen in deepest dark Africa.
    I was trying not to mention the second most popular method of wild animal harvesting in the northern hemisphere- so i wont i wont mention discuss the similar wound rates to that of standard firearms either.
    No I'll have to leave it at that before i get carried away!:mad:

I can't cock up here anymore! I have to stay on the straigth and narrow!

Those threads are still here Ivan, so you can link to them till you're blue in the face.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

Those threads are still here Ivan, so you can link to them till you're blue in the face.
    You and i both know that those threads were not very productive and action, such as providing a link will not benefit me or any hopes i have that one day i will be allowed to fulfill my dream!

The whole issue here is too heated as people get emotional involved- i know that some of the posters here only bearly tolerate the hunting issue and are manly concerned with target shooting.

Is this the place to forge a group of self minded individuals from?.
    I don't think so, the beast has too many heads!

You and i both know that those threads were not very productive and action, such as providing a link will not benefit me or any hopes i have that one day i will be allowed to fulfill my dream!
    I will so, they will help clear up any misunderstandings people may have. Can't understand your second point, you started some of these threads and you should have known that they would be available to anyone doing a quick search here or on google.

Are crossbows legal in Ireland

Question on crossbows and vermin

bow hunting in eire..

bow hunting for rabbits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Mr Flibble

but can anyone explain me the logic behind issuing a cert for a shotgun and not for a full bore semi-auto pistol for targetshooting for the same lad ?

Exactly the same logic that says someone can have a licence for a fullbore pistol but not for a machine gun.

You may recognise it.

• Advertisement

Maybe I'm not the best man for putting forward proper justification for allowing such activities or possible i don't have the best things to say but everything should be up for consideration and each to his own.
    I don't see the harm in it as long as it was made legal..
    I did advocate it as a positive action method by which the numbers people reliant of firearms could be dropped..
    I just don't see how it doesn't fit in here at least for discussion- its prob because i pushed it too far to quick. You see I'm not really politically minded!:)

You know i going to be banned when sparks get back from where ever he is! and i know hes away because i would have already been infracted severely for going this far..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Mr Flibble

I was trying not to mention the second most popular method of wild animal harvesting in the northern hemisphere-

Everyone is mentioning it. It's called shooting.

The most popular is fishing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭xesse

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH spears
    HOOOOOOOOO
    i,d better get one now cos we might be holding the 25m precision:D next year in spear chucking if we dont sort out this licence sh1t:D:D:p
    Ivan, if you're talking about threads you started and which were closed and deleted fine, but if they were just closed and still exist then you can certainly link to them.

And really if you are talking about hunting with spears, then cop on FFS this is Ireland not the African bush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Personally, I would hold out for at least two (un-opened, I trust none of ye!) boxes of ammo for either of my grannies - and ye'd have to dig either one up yerselves!

And to throw my oar in I'd be very supportive of having bow hunting made legal in this country.

Mr Flibble wrote: »
    Everyone is mentioning it. It's called shooting.

The most popular is fishing.

OK if i include fish then its third! Bronze medal for that chap in the corner;)

• Advertisement

BUMP--
    Why don't a few shooters contact Vincent Brown and let him invite some politicians and a few articulate shooters to join him on his show!

The whole law needs reform! No one will manage to counter the hand gun issue unless all the other issues are highlighted..

Lets face it- these radio shows are worrying..!

Also did anyone read the Irish shooter digest this month. There was a very good article in the first few pages about the real dangers of firearms with some interesting statistics.
    well worth a read

just getting back on track

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

johngalway wrote: »
    Personally, I would hold out for at least two (un-opened, I trust none of ye!) boxes of ammo for either of my grannies - and ye'd have to dig either one up yerselves!

And to throw my oar in I'd be very supportive of having bow hunting made legal in this country.

ill second you on that john,horses for courses rrpc,just because its not your cup of tea doesn'nt mean you can down someone else's passion in life,you didn't see me last sunday banging on your door in the hall in rathdrum downing your passion,the word igornance on shooting/hunting definitly comes to mind in this thread allright and im not talking about joe public

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Can we keep it on the topic of the radio show please?

This forum is for shooting, with firearms. Use of a bow for targets or hunting is off topic in this forum never mind this thread.

IRLConor wrote: »
    Can we keep it on the topic of the radio show please?.
    kinda like 99% of the threads in here go off on a spiral

OK listen up!

Some one needs to hit the Girly shows on daytime TV. Hit them with facts! and hit'em fast..

On the show the worst information came from a female caller, she seemed to be very badly informed!
    Her whole mind set was was against guns. Now this is shocking as she and similar people (male inc) to her will continue to gripe about any and all firearms in society irrespective of whether or not hand guns do or do not disappear from Ireland. This ill-informed waffle is causing the erosion of our sport.
    The ill-informed rant includes- all objections against hunting, objections against shooting, objections against anything dangerous
    Lets face when did you see a TV show about hunting in Ireland- in the US they have the hunting channel.. a whole channel:eek:

FFS if nothing is done the ignorance will win out! Its here already and its spreading like a cancer through society. I see it myself when talking to people about hunting and i get that funny look from them! "hunting-Huh what do you want to kill animals for, sure they're lovely".. then i have to start explaining about control and vermin and then i soften the blow by saying " ah sure i eat as much as i can" ..

This is our enemy at the gates- The ill-informed citizen and there ignorance to the facts, which are exacerbated be what only can be described as blatant mis-truth and deliberate mis-guidance from or political over-seers It is also apparent that Irish Television has made no effort to help educate its viewers- they are quite happy to fill peoples mind full of meaningless soaps..
    One can't help felling that maybe there is a conspiracy!! Is there??

Solutions..? Well it has to be education through every source possible.

Its jaw dropping stuff that were are witnessing- Are we willing to be known as the generation that stood by while society festered in its own ignorance, until that ignorance breed fear of all that was once commonly excepted in our community.

I would say the the ignorance is alive its a kin to shock waves on the motorway or something like that, it has a life force all of its own. And we have to stop it.. the very fact that this radio show aired this piece goes to hight light that fact that someone out there was either trying to put us down or pick us up!! ?? i couldn't really say-could you?.

the very fact that this radio show aired this piece goes to hight light that fact that someone out there was either trying to put us down or pick us up!! ?? i couldn't really say-could you?.
    Yes. The radio show and articles in newspapers were inspired by the District Court case in Cork which is discussed on another thread.

If it's not current there's usually no interest in running with it.

.243 wrote: »
    ill second you on that john,horses for courses rrpc,just because its not your cup of tea doesn'nt mean you can down someone else's passion in life,you didn't see me last sunday banging on your door in the hall in rathdrum downing your passion,the word igornance on shooting/hunting definitly comes to mind in this thread allright and im not talking about joe public

It might be your passion to hunt with spears or bows .243, but not in Ireland where it's illegal.

Which was my point. What I do in the 'hall' in Rathdrum is not illegal, so you can bang on the door all you like. ;)

It might be your passion to hunt with spears or bows .243, but not in Ireland where it's illegal.

Which was my point. What I do in the 'hall' in Rathdrum is not illegal, so you can bang on the door all you like. ;)

eh who actually said that they were hunting with a spear or bow in ireland,but still cant discuss on this website about changing the law how to make it legal"oh if its illegal in the law books we cant be seen to be talking about it we might be giving out the wrong impression about what we do",free speech my a*se !!

eh who actually said that they were hunting with a spear or bow in ireland,but still cant discuss on this website about changing the law how to make it legal"oh if its illegal in the law books we cant be seen to be talking about it we might be giving out the wrong impression about what we do",free speech my a*se !!
    Did I say we couldn't discuss it? Please show me where exactly I said that. In fact I think I said the exact opposite.

I did refer to previous discussions on bow hunting where it was pointed out that it was illegal here. I did that because Ivan has a tendency to take an a la carte approach to the law and quotes one bit whilst leaving out the important parts.

His post about slug ammunition being a case in point.

So if you've a problem with what's allowed for discussion, please take it up with the mods, not with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

You know i going to be banned when sparks get back from where ever he is! and i know hes away because i would have already been infracted severely for going this far..

Finland as far as I remember.

• Advertisement

Did I say we couldn't discuss it? Please show me where exactly I said that. In fact I think I said the exact opposite.

I did refer to previous discussions on bow hunting where it was pointed out that it was illegal here. I did that because Ivan has a tendency to take an a la carte approach to the law and quotes one bit whilst leaving out the important parts.

His post about slug ammunition being a case in point.

So if you've a problem with what's allowed for discussion, please take it up with the mods, not with me.

opposite !!,you slated ivan about bow hunting with your spear and african bush post,illegal or not in this country you have no right to put a mans pastime down full stop,(he could be doing this type of hunting somewhere else for all you know)the problem i do have is with you and your opinions and attitude towards others in here ,so what if ivan discuss nit pick and thrawl through the fine print about the shooting/hunting laws in this country if that gets him through the day fine by me (it gives me something fresh to read in here anyway),if you dont like it fine but keep your negitive comments to yourself,

opposite !!,you slated ivan about bow hunting with your spear and african bush post,illegal or not in this country you have no right to put a mans pastime down full stop,(he could be doing this type of hunting somewhere else for all you know)
    Which was it now .243, spear hunting or bow hunting? :rolleyes:
    the problem i do have is with you and your opinions and attitude towards others in here ,so what if ivan discuss nit pick and thrawl through the fine print about the shooting/hunting laws in this country if that gets him through the day fine by me (it gives me something fresh to read in here anyway),if you dont like it fine but keep your negitive comments to yourself,
    Why should I? If Ivan can come on here and tell lies about what's in the firearms acts, then I can come in and put it right.

Before somebody listens to him and gets into trouble.

Which is why so many of his threads have been closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

opposite !!,you slated ivan about bow hunting with your spear and african bush post,illegal or not in this country you have no right to put a mans pastime down full stop,(he could be doing this type of hunting somewhere else for all you know)the problem i do have is with you and your opinions and attitude towards others in here ,so what if ivan discuss nit pick and thrawl through the fine print about the shooting/hunting laws in this country if that gets him through the day fine by me (it gives me something fresh to read in here anyway),if you dont like it fine but keep your negitive comments to yourself,

That's so negative! :)

Which was it now .243, spear hunting or bow hunting? :rolleyes:

Why should I? If Ivan can come on here and tell lies about what's in the firearms acts, then I can come in and put it right.

Before somebody listens to him and gets into trouble.

Which is why so many of his threads have been closed.

tell me then what makes you so special in here that you can mock peoples interests and pastimes that you just simply can't understand,oh sorry i is see your excuse now its so you make sure that nobody gets into trouble for someones posts,isnt that a mods job
    STAND BACK EVERYONE SUPER RRPC HAS COME TO SAVE THE DAY !!!!
    (just dont tell him what you're into he mightn't like it)

tell me then what makes you so special in here that you can mock peoples interests and pastimes that you just simply can't understand,oh sorry i is see your excuse now its so you make sure that nobody gets into trouble for someones posts,isnt that a mods job
    STAND BACK EVERYONE SUPER RRPC HAS COME TO SAVE THE DAY !!!!
    (just dont tell him what you're into he mightn't like it)

Does that annoy you?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I will so, they will help clear up any misunderstandings people may have.
    For crying out loud. Ivan was warned not to bring this up again because of the enormous amount of time he wasted from both the hunting and the archery forums trying to argue that bow hunting was legal because an arrow wasn't a missile despite long posts from people who knew more and who spent way too much time trying to explain this stuff with relevant citations. Can we drop this now please?

Sparks wrote: »
    For crying out loud. Ivan was warned not to bring this up again because of the enormous amount of time he wasted from both the hunting and the archery forums trying to argue that bow hunting was legal because an arrow wasn't a missile despite long posts from people who knew more and who spent way too much time trying to explain this stuff with relevant citations. Can we drop this now please?

Gladly :)

Is this welcome back by the way? You're not exploiting the 2000Mbit or whatever it is in Finland?

Sparks wrote: »

dont think so sparks just one more thing,leaving all the law picking aside etc i actally think rrpc owes ivan an apology irrespective of his views on what he into,he basisally insulted the man and his pastime(regardless of what it is),its internal trolling and if not closed it leaves it that its ok down really inslut people,its happened here in the past where you had posts,bad mouthing,jibing and insulting people and warnings issued about that,from where im standing it now looks ok to rip the piss out of someone because they allready got warnings from mods to pull in their heels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

:DWTF Lads: Bows & Arrows, Spears,?:D
    Is this not the Sports > Shooting Forum? Or am I mistaken in my naivete?:D

And before anyone jumps on this and decides to give me an online kicking:eek:: I have absolutely no axes-to-grind nor bones-to-pick with anyone regarding their own personal choices of pastimes, sports, hobbies, and interests, so long as it does not impact detrimentally on my own choice of pastimes, sports, hobbies, and interests.:D

I am here, as I can only assume we all are, to learn, share, educate, and disseminate information and knowledge about the varied and broadranging sport(s) of shooting in all its glorious forms- yes, that's it: shooting. Am I wrong to assume that on this particular forum this means "firearms shooting"?:D (Coz I note that there's a archery forum elsewhere).

And, please let's not start quoting dictionary definitions now! please!;)

Now - Open fire!:D:D:D:D:eek:

Thanks
    dC

(P.S. MODS delete this if it's deemed to be "bad-seat modding" - or is this back-seat modding - oh, god, i don't know, help)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

If thats the case dCorbus, do we no longer discuss ferrets, or lurchers? Should the hunting section of this forum be called hunting with guns only?

Advertisement