Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handguns for sporting purposes on The 6 O'clock Phone In show, Q102

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

I am not getting into a row on this rrpc but people have stated on here that a lot of the stuff discussed on boards.ie has been used by the powers that be and turned against us.

Sikamick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Sikamick wrote: »
    I am note getting into a row on this rrpc but people have stated on here that a lot of the stuff discussed on boards.ie has been used by the powers that be and turned against us.

Sikamick
    But this is about generating positive PR and improving our profile. We can't do that in secret.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Thanks Mick & RRPC.

I take Micks point - But it won't be me anyone would be shafting, it would be shooting in general.
    Well I suppose they could shaft me - but they wouldn't enjoy it too much!:D:D

Look, i couldn't be arsed going on a one-man crusade, even if I was dumb and arrogant enough to think it could be done!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

I am not getting into a row on this rrpc but people have stated on here that a lot of the stuff discussed on boards.ie has been used by the powers that be and turned against us.

Yes

and
    But this is about generating positive PR and improving our profile. We can't do that in secret.

Also yes.

The PTB might well try - but I'm not sure how ideas and research can be used "against us" in any real way. Mick, I understand the issues involved here, but if you'd like to clarify these for me and "mark-my-cards", feel free to PM me.

IMHO Hiding in the shadows has not really worked to date. People will always assume the worst about things they don't know or understand. Personally, you all seem like reasonably well-balanced sane chaps to me! (And no jokes please about being well-balanced with a chip on both shoulders:D!)

But maybe I'm mistaken and we are all the raving weapon-mad gun-nuts that "the public" may or may not think we are!:D:D:rolleyes:

I don't know if any of you saw the small booklet that came with the Sunday World this week. Somebody had it at the range on Sunday and it featured the story of Larry Murphy; the man who was sentenced in 2001 (I think) for the rape of a girl in the Balitinglass/Carlow area.

I remember at the time and the article also mentioned that there was some suspicion that the man may have been responsible for other high profile disappearances in the wider Leinster area over a prolonged period.

The point I eventually am getting around to is that the girl was quite probably saved from an even worse fate by the arrival in the carpark of a couple of lads lamping foxes whilst she was being removed from the boot of Murphy's car. She got away from him and he drove away but was recognised and arrested later that night.

He got 15 years (he's still inside) and the girl always maintained that the two lads saved her life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Ya but the guardi gave them one hell of a grilling because they suspected them of poaching.

As a side note to that, I had a call from the local station a few weeks before that, wondering could I remember the reg of a car that was parked down a laneway while I was out lamping. At the time I passed no heed to it as there was a young one up the road who happened to be courting a fella with the same make car and I put it down to the two of them getting some quiet time away from the mammy and daddy :(

homerhop wrote: »
    Ya but the guardi gave them one hell of a grilling because they suspected them of poaching.

As they would :rolleyes:

They probably were, but the point is they were in the right place at the right time.

rrpc wrote: »
    As they would :rolleyes:

They probably were, but the point is they were in the right place at the right time.

Pity the guards were not as alert seeing as he bundled her into his car right outside the station in Carlow

homerhop wrote: »
    Pity the guards were not as alert seeing as he bundled her into his car right outside the station in Carlow

He knew what he was doing though, had staked her out for a week beforehand.

Anyway we're going off topic. The point is that two shooters made very good crime stoppers and guys out hunting can be a help to the Gardai.

• Advertisement

Yes you are right, the majority of shooters will always notice cars parked up on back roads or vans driving around suspiciously on their local patch.

Advertisement