Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

faulty memory kits & returns

Options
  • 19-11-2009 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Argggghhhhhh

This is a vent and a question post all in one...I bought an OCZ 6gb mem kit as part of my new build recently. One of the cards died pretty much out of the box but now OCZ want me to return the whole kit to them. I have repeatedly told them that I need this pc running and I will not take a loss of earnings by having no RAM for 2 weeks...Im fuming with their responses so far...
    Any better companies to deal with when 1 piece goes faulty in a kit ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

They're not doing anything out of the ordinary here, the sticks were sold in a kit and should be returned as such, any other company would insist on this

I've had rma dealings with Ocz before (more than once) and they're always ok to deal with, they always step up to the mark and accept responsibility. Most of their products have a lifetime warranty which is why I've always recommended them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

yup, its the norm to expect this from the company you bought it from, and the manufacturer. Some places can be pretty cool and send you a set out before you send yours, but its been abused so much these days its not really done anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

This is why you always keep a Cheapo 2GB stick spare :D

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

I think its a joke they need the full kit when I can give them the faulty one, there is no guarantee the kit they send me will be perfect..the turnaround will probably take 10days..so Im with out a pc for 10 days, perfect.
    Any company that will replace the RAM individually ?
    This is why you always keep a Cheapo 2GB stick spare

All well and good if you have a cheap DDR3 lying around, or even a shop near you to buy one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

stylie wrote: »
    I think its a joke they need the full kit when I can give them the faulty one, there is no guarantee the kit they send me will be perfect..the turnaround will probably take 10days..so Im with out a pc for 10 days, perfect.
    Any company that will replace the RAM individually ?

No, there isn't. Buy a cheap 2GB Stick somewhere and use that for the 10 days

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

The sticks are matched, ie tested to work together and clock to the same speed, they don't just pick any 3 off the line and package them together. You're not even supposed to mix 2 different kits, even if the same type ram, which is why they'll never replace 1 stick in a dual channel kit either

• Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I had the same situation a couple of years back and I tried the arguing with them the same as you. In the end I just gave in and sent all my RAM back, got the new kit about 2 weeks later. It didn't bother me as much because I had my laptop to keep me going. 2 weeks is a long time though when your itching to play a game :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

I had the same crap before with 1 faulty stick out of a two pack, they wanted both back, couldnt be arsed RMA'ing it and having no mem on my media rig.

Advertisement