Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why become a moderator at boards.ie?

Options
  • 19-11-2009 8:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭

I'm curious to know why anyone would want to become a moderator at boards.ie? While I'm obviously grateful to those who have done so, I'm told it's an unpaid position and a pretty thankless task at that. For me, I imagine it would also interrupt the pleasure of boards.

Would any moderators care to comment why they decided to become a moderator?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I'm curious to know why anyone would want to become a moderator at boards.ie? While I'm obviously grateful to those who have done so, I'm told it's an unpaid position and a pretty thankless task at that. For me, I imagine it would also interrupt the pleasure of boards.

I imagine to help out the site that doesn't ask a lot in return

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I was asked by an existing moderator if I was interested in the job. At the time I saw a number of things I could do differently and a level of knowledge I could bring to the forum. That's why I took up the "job".

Didn't you hear about the coke and hookers? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 83,136 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i did it for the powertrip....

DRUNK WITH POWER!!!!!

(i do it to give something small back to the site)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Because Beruthiel is hawt.

I wanted to help out.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Because I wanted to see what went on in the mod forum.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Because I was asked to.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

5starpool wrote: »
    Because I wanted to see what went on in the mod forum.

this. plus space for more private messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Because I was asked to.
    If Pighead asked you to shine his shoes would you do so? Perhaps you should add some extra criteria to the file marked "reasons why I do stuff" lest people abuse your good nature.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Pighead wrote: »
    If Pighead asked you to shine his shoes would you do so? Perhaps you should add some extra criteria to the file marked "reasons why I do stuff" lest people abuse your good nature.

If you want to abuse my good nature it costs 300 bucks an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Coke & Hookers wtf,

Nah seriously I started off as a Mod of VoIP, I lobbied for the forum to be created and when it was created I offered to be a Mod and did alot of the stickys etc I found it interesting as I was trying out VoIP at the time and had my phone service using it.

Later I became Broadband forum, I have a big interest in this as well first off I have ADSL and second off I have experience dealing with fault and provisioning for ADSL so I try to help where I can.

Gardening, Windows and Heroes I also have a interest in and its more to just keep things in order. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Because nobody ****s with mods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

First you get the money, then you get the power, then you get the wimmens!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

AH: There was a thread looking for suggestion for new mods. A few people threw my name into the hat. I was flattered. Then I realised that I could have lots of fun, so I stuck around.

Giving up smoking: I'm a heavy smoker and I thought I could help others quit.
    Then I got pissed off at seeing so many people do so well, while I was still smoking, that I jacked it in.

PW: Been a fan for most of my life.
    I offered my services plenty of times, but was turned down.
    Then I was asked to help out, so I accepted.

It's nice to give something back to a site that provides so much information and help.
    The good folk inhabiting the tech forums have helped me on countless occasions. AH can be funny at times. I get some great info from the regulars in the PW forum.
    The list goes on.
    Earlier today I was looking up some info on HETAC courses and I didn't even have to ask a question. The answers were already there.

AH was difficult at times, but the good outweighed the bad, so I feel that my time there was time well spent.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

People I respected asked me to chip in. That was a big deal for me. Then helping the flow of community and the users who make up that community.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Pretty certain it gets you laid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I got asked by Talliesin who had nagged DeVore into creating a paganism forum ( first of the religous forums on the site ) and given my input on that topic in a few places he asked me would I be interested, I was about 5ish months on the site back then and I said yes. It needed to have to mods or it wasn't going to get created.

That how it started.

The other forum which Tallie and I were responsible for was Sex & Sexuality the admins at the time said it could work and we argued that it could and ended up being made mods of it.

Why do I mod?

Cos seeing spam and people being a dick tends to do my head in.
    I can still contribute to the site and help the communities in it grow and be a maven on certain topics with out being a mod, but as one I can help look after the forums and communites which are dearest to me.

Wibbs wrote: »
    People I respected asked me to chip in. That was a big deal for me.

*snigger*

You got suckered, I managed to get a way for a while and you got drafted :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

To give something back for all the enjoyment I've got from this site.

(The power trips, coke, and hookers help too.)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I was lead to believe there would be punch...and pie

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Mactard wrote: »
    I was lead to believe there would be punch...and pie
    s_6264cdad94cd4d2793eb1011a9a0d426.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Honest answer:
    No power trip, no fake coke and hookers, I just like to help out and protect genuine people who come here looking to become part of the community. Sure, I get abuse for it but the odd time I get thanked for it and that's what makes it worthwhile for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I'm curious to know why anyone would want to become a moderator at boards.ie?

I got so much out of Boards for such a long time that I wanted to give something back. I was on all the time and seeing as 99% of modding is janitorial work I thought I could do it and do it well.
    While I'm obviously grateful to those who have done so, I'm told it's an unpaid position and a pretty thankless task at that.

Its not thankless anyone who say it is is lying. Theres times when it gets to much and fellow mods will general have your back and be supportive of whatever sh1t you're dealing with. If you do a good job and leave ego and agenda at the door the users of your forum will appreciate you. Theey wont say it all the time but every now and then, especial when its needed regular posters do or say something that make it all worth while. We do what we do for the most part to make the experience taht bit easier or more pleasurable for regular users, not to get a hi-5 from fellow mods.

For me, I imagine it would also interrupt the pleasure of boards.

It does. It REALLY does. There is a pleasure you get from giving back but its can sour your experince when you feel you have to log in and spend more time taking flak and cleaning up than contributing.

Thats why I've decided to step back from modding. Anyone who knows me on here will know the running joke about me and moderation so they'll know its not an easy decission to give it up. I just feel that if I keep going I'll end up resenting the place and thats not what I want. As I said elsewhere, I'm gonna take it easy and see if I can get that spark back. I'm gonna court Boards for a while and see if I can fall in love with it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Pretty certain it gets you laid.
    So why doesn't it seem to be working in your case?! :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

So why doesn't it seem to be working in your case?! :p

Exception to every rule and all that jazz, so had to resort to beautifulpeopledotcom. :pac:

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I wanted to be a mod so I could prove that it is actually possible to sleep your way to the top. :D

Actually to this day I'm still surprised I was ever asked to be a mod in the first place. However, once I was asked I had no hesitation in accepting as it was a chance to give something back to a site that had helped me stay sane through a long period of recovery after an accident. It kinda snowballed from there, but I like to think that my small contribution over the past couple of years has helped in part make Boards a more enjoyable place for a few people at least. That's where I derive my satisfaction and why I continue to do the job. Yes, there have been some right muppets I've had to deal with, but they're more than outweighed by the good people that I've interacted with both on and off this site who ensure that the task is definitely not thankless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Zaph wrote: »
    I wanted to be a mod so I could prove that it is actually possible to sleep your way to the top. :D

Actually to this day I'm still surprised I was ever asked to be a mod in the first place. However, once I was asked I had no hesitation in accepting as it was a chance to give something back to a site that had helped me stay sane through a long period of recovery after an accident. It kinda snowballed from there, but I like to think that my small contribution over the past couple of years has helped in part make Boards a more enjoyable place for a few people at least. That's where I derive my satisfaction and why I continue to do the job. Yes, there have been some right muppets I've had to deal with, but they're more than outweighed by the good people that I've interacted with both on and off this site who ensure that the task is definitely not thankless.

Same thing applies
    Thaedydal wrote: »
    *snigger*

You got suckered, I managed to get a way for a while and you got drafted :)

You got it worse then I or wibbs, while I was pleased the D15 forum was getting created I didn't want to mod it and I may have made a certain suggestion. :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Knowing you're helping real life communities grow is a simple but real pleasure.

Thats all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Zaph wrote: »
    And I have the negatives* to prove it. Sweet. Forget about mod cliques folks, that's how ya work leverage.

* for our younger viewers, old tech can often be more permanent. I had tried sketches but he moved too much and other suggested a trip into the 19th century. That said I have a very tasty marionette script involving DeVore and Cloud. The carving on the floosies is particularly ornate.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Wibbs wrote: »

* . I had tried sketches but he moved too much .

Totally not what I've heard.

• Advertisement

OK she moved too much and I'm a crap draughtsman. Either way the box brownie was more apposite.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement