Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why become a moderator at boards.ie?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Putting a brownie in someones 'box' is not really that wise, she could get thrush you know.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

And I thought this was a 'family' site... :/

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Steve wrote: »

Rookie mistake. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Steve wrote: »

It is, that's why they didn't call it an Alabama Hot Pocket!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's no Atomic Donkey Punch!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

It is, that's why they didn't call it an Alabama Hot Pocket!
    Had to google that.. looks disgusting... :eek:

hot_pockets.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Jack The Ripper

Wibbs wrote: »
    The carving on the floosies is particularly ornate.

What's this about carving floozies? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

Because they are a masochists

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Free Access to S&S.

that is one of my Main reasons for wanting to be one. It's so sekkrit that I have to be part of it and I don't have the money to subscribe!!! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I moderated photography because it needed a moderator. I had a big interest in it, and had started organising outings for the forum. And enjoyed helping people. Seeing a community grow from it was great.

I moderated Waterford city & county because it needed an extra hand at the time. (And possibly a lighter touch at the time :pac: )

I moderated Adverts because I knew what the ins and outs of photographic gear were.

But tbh, I did it because I enjoyed the site itself. It had helped me plenty, and not just in the forums I moderated. Doing a bit of sh*t work was the least I could have done, and in fairness, we were always treated well. The odd trip through Ye Olde Feedbacke was good for a giggle too. I even got titled a 'Little Hitler' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

So I would always have people on my side in Feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

To be on the inside of the Mod conspiracy (is there any other reason?)

Actually I logged in one day and saw some extra buttons. Checked my PMs and the Mod of what was the then small Marathon & Triathlon forum had asked for me to be modded. First I knew about it was the PMs with directions to the coke and hookers! Ahhh the good old days :D (To be fair we had known each other for years and she knew I'd be ok with it).

I stick around because the A/R/T forum is 99.9% self policing, it's one of the biggest sources of online info for runners and triathletes in Ireland and it has helped hundreds (possibly thousands) of people get fit and improve at thier sport. It has a huge cross over into the "real world" through races and training sessions and I've met some great people and done some cool things because of it.

So zapping the occasional muppet isn't much to be asked in return.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Its got kudos.

I was chuffed to be asked, and thought, why not? Lets see if I can do this with antagonising everyone. So far, Ive only antagonised a select few, so I suppose its ok.

I spend a hell of a lot of time here, some of it might as well be to the benefit of the forums. And theres nothing quite like removing spam and rubbish instead of just reporting it. Boards is my little home from home, its nice to help keep it clean and peaceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Boards entertained me through 2 1/2 years of 5 night a week night shifts. Kept me in touch with what was happening in Ireland while living in London for a couple of years and still helps me out and entertains me nearly every day.

CuLt asked me to Mod after I made a forum request for Servers & Systems and I'm glad to help out any way I can. Tbh, this place is a great resource with some great people where the biggest rule is to be civil to eachother. Anything I can do to keep this place and that rule intact, I will. If we could get RL a bit more like Boards people would be a lot happier.

-Funk

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

For some - Modding is a community service.

For others - Modding is Community Service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Would any moderators care to comment why they decided to become a moderator?

I became a mod through suggesting a forum. That forum got created and Vexorg (previous admin) asked if I would moderate it. I didn't expect to be aksed, I thought the more experienced would have been approached but I gave it a bash anyway. That forum was The Ladies Lounge. The beginning of that forum was a bit rocky but I don't regret helping to steer it toward what it is today.
    I feel part responsible for increasing the number of wimmins on the internetz (boards) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I wanted immunity from bannings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭crocro

Oryx had the most believable reply.

Lots of people said they moderate to 'give something back'. Nobody does anything in life to give something back - even if they believe it themselves. Politicians always give a bs answer like this when asked why they are running for public office. 'In the national interest, at the request of my colleagues...' Not because I've always wanted to be a TD and have an office in the Dail and have people call me deputy.

The usual reason for doing something is because you like doing it. Keeping a forum tidy is probably its own reward for some - particularly if you enjoy reading the subject matter.

People are joking about power-tripping but there is a little bit of status from being a mod. There is no shame in doing something to help your self esteem, to feel a sense of belonging, of legitimacy, of importance. Having the respect of others is one level of Maslow's hierarchy of needs.

crocro wrote: »
    Lots of people said they moderate to 'give something back'. Nobody does anything in life to give something back - even if they believe it themselves. Politicians always give a bs answer like this when asked why they are running for public office. 'In the national interest, at the request of my colleagues...' Not because I've always wanted to be a TD and have an office in the Dail and have people call me deputy.
    If they were to be honest, they'd say they do it for the loot. :)
    The usual reason for doing something is because you like doing it. Keeping a forum tidy is probably its own reward for some - particularly if you enjoy reading the subject matter.

People are joking about power-tripping but there is a little bit of status from being a mod. There is no shame in doing something to help your self esteem, to feel a sense of belonging, of legitimacy, of importance. Having the respect of others is one level of Maslow's hierarchy of needs.
    Yes there's status and respect but it's well balanced out by the abusive PM's and complaints from disgruntled users :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Once upon a time...
    The mod of the North America forum asked me if I would volunteer, as she was moving on after several years of service to boards. She caught me completely by surprise. I said OK, without really knowing what I was getting into... other than trying to help posters with an interest in visiting or moving to either Canada, United States, or Mexico.

During the past couple months as the new NA mod, I've made many of the silly mistakes that you would expect a nOOb mod to make, and hopefully learned from them.

Other than that, most of my posts are as a user to other forums on boards, just like everyone else.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Blue Lagoon wouldn't entertain my advances if I wasn't a mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I was asked, and said yes because I reckoned I could troll much more effectively that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Lots of people said they moderate to 'give something back'. Nobody does anything in life to give something back

That, my dear sir, is poppycock of the highest order.

What about the club coaches in sports up and down the country who toil week in and week out coaching under 10s? Where's teh glamour and kudos in that? In my own sport every weekend there are race marshalls standing on corners, often in the peeing rain and getting *nothing* back. Why do they do it? Because next week they'll be racing and somone else will be on the corner.

In ART we have had a few projects that have helped a whole heap of people along and I get a lot of personal satisfaction from helping keep the site a place where things like that can be faciliated.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Nobody does anything in life to give something back - even if they believe it themselves.
    Ah, the old "altruism doesn't exist" argument.

Sorry, but altruism exists. As does cynicism.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I'd like to be a mod just for the laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Jay P wrote: »
    I'd like to be a mod just for the laugh.
    It can be amusing at times, but only if you don't take it too seriously.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Blue Lagoon wouldn't entertain my advances if I wasn't a mod.
    Now there's a one-liner I haven't heard lately. Think it will work? :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

So you can swap arch tales about the trials and tribulations of modding, on-thread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

stovelid wrote: »
    So you can swap arch tales about the trials and tribulations of modding, on-thread.

Sure, Here's mine...people can get paranoid about mods,

For me on the Broadband forum I've been accused of being paid/employed by Three Mobile in order to stop complaints about Three when in reality it was nothing of the sort.

In reality myself and a admin (since retired) tried our best to get Three to deal with complaints, the outcome of which was Three for a brief time allowing anyone who complained to get out of contract without a cancellation charge....this was much better then being in a contract with a service that didn't work.

I've only ever been a three mobile customer for 12 months after which I had to lodge an official complaint to get my phoned unlocked as they refused to unlock it, something I documented on the Mobile forum at the time.

I dislike Three with the best of them but some idiotic users let there paranoia get the better of them to the point where DeVore had to tell them that the next person to accuse me of working for Three would be site banned.

That was the end of the matter for the most part, so its not always easy being a mod :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement