Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why become a moderator at boards.ie?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Lol. I remember that Three thing. I was just coming off the back of working for another phone network and was thinking 'christ I hope they never find that out.' :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

crocro wrote: »
    Oryx had the most believable reply.

You obviously haven't MET Ber

It's very amusing that you've equated becoming a moderator with becoming a TD. We're janitors trying to keep the toilets unblocked with our e-plungers. Power, lol.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Guitar Hero and Rock Band's two moderators were never around by the time I joined boards. I spent a lot of time in there, people got to know me as one of the regulars and I started helping out in an unofficial capacity.

When I got asked about modding, I was delighted, because it's one of the few areas that I have sufficient knowledge to actually be of assistance. It's nice to be acknowledged for the effort you put into a community. Keeping the place clean, and trying to get it a bit more traffic is both fun and gives me a tremendous sense of achievement.

Plus, now I have lots of shiny buttons and the mod forum :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Now there's a one-liner I haven't heard lately. Think it will work? :cool:

We'll discuss it over breakfast when you are in Ireland.:cool:

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Sarky wrote: »
    You obviously haven't MET Ber

It's very amusing that you've equated becoming a moderator with becoming a TD. We're janitors trying to keep the toilets unblocked with our e-plungers. Power, lol.
    Christ, is that what the smell is?

I didnt mean to be contraversial. It would be nice to think Im giving something back, but Id ask the regular posters in the forums about that rather than me. :)

D4RK ONION, what do the shiny buttons do? I pressed mine and nothing happened. But maybe it made a server become sentient or something...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I had compromising pics of the outgoing mod so he campaigned on my behalf :D

Seriously though, i was asked and i said yes without thinking about it, i was happy to help and i can devote a lot of time to the job where the out going mod couldn't anymore.

But i'm modding probably the easiest of the forums on boards so it shouldn't be too difficult. I pity the AH and Soccer mods a lot, but thats for another thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

We'll discuss it over breakfast when you are in Ireland.:cool:
    It's a date!:cool:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Boards moederatorship strikes again :-p

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Power is a funny thing, people think I have loads of it but the reality is that what power I can muster is quickly being reduce to "turn it off/on". You know the old joke, where does an 800 pound gorilla sleep? Anywhere it f---ing pleases. Kinda works the same for communities.

I work and have worked on the site because I feel I can direct it in a positive direction for this country. We're about half way through that plan in case you are wondering :)

There are lots of other reasons, but that is the one that keeps me going on the bad days.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,483 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Because things have gone stale in the bedroom.

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    Christ, is that what the smell is?

I didnt mean to be contraversial. It would be nice to think Im giving something back, but Id ask the regular posters in the forums about that rather than me. :)

Did I sound confrontational? Wasn't my intent, sorry. My point was we don't do it for power. Or at least we shouldn't, those that do usually don't stay mods for long. In my own experience it's not done for any reasons besides helping the site as a whole (whether that be keeping your forum nice and shiny by banning the muppets or by helping to grow a community or whatever) and the satisfaction that brings. No point in modding a forum you have no interest in.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Because things have gone stale in the bedroom.
    :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

DeVore wrote: »
    I work and have worked on the site because I feel I can direct it in a positive direction for this country.
    I have to say, one of the reasons I actually give a crap about this place outside of the mod guff, is because this guy(and others) truly believes in this idea. Maybe he'll get to see that happen, maybe he won't but its rare enough to see that passion and especially the whys of what he's doing. Maybe he's nuts:D, but thats a loopiness I can support, even if I ended up not agreeing with some of the fine points.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Mods dont' have power as it were they can have influnce but then again posters can also have influnce and input to how forums and the site is run.

You don't have to be a mod to be an influencal poster, you do have to know how the site runs and not be constantly talking out of your arse :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭crocro

In my own sport every weekend there are race marshalls standing on corners, often in the peeing rain and getting *nothing* back. Why do they do it? Because next week they'll be racing and somone else will be on the corner.
    In other words, they do it so they can get something back. Next week somebody else will be a marshall for them.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I think everyone does it for something back... that doesnt have to be a bad thing though. I do for a wide variety of reasons but even the most altruistic of them gives me a sense of fulfilment... a satisfaction that is rare. Thats something for *me* I guess. When you boil everything down, there are very few truely altruistic acts but then there are very few opportunities for that in life.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Because nobody ****s with mods

REALLY:confused:

So a mod has to give up sex as well?

Thats above and beyond the call of duty surely?

may'be mod wer'nt 'getting it' anyways before accepting the job?:pac::pac::)

Did I sound confrontational? Wasn't my intent, sorry. My point was we don't do it for power. Or at least we shouldn't, those that do usually don't stay mods for long. In my own experience it's not done for any reasons besides helping the site as a whole (whether that be keeping your forum nice and shiny by banning the muppets or by helping to grow a community or whatever) and the satisfaction that brings. No point in modding a forum you have no interest in.

I may be quite drunk, but it's not about 'power' as sarky says, if anybody does something I don't deem to be in best interests of the forum I'll call them on it, doesn't matter who they are. When I'm sober I'm sure it will be about power :pac:
    It's about helping a site that has given us a lot, and is a very good thing for Ireland.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Oryx wrote: »
    D4RK ONION, what do the shiny buttons do? I pressed mine and nothing happened. But maybe it made a server become sentient or something...
    I'm not sure. I clicked one of them before out of interest, and something slapped me on the back of the head. I turned around but there was no one there. I think it might have been Beruthiel :eek:
    Thaedydal wrote: »
    Mods dont' have power as it were they can have influnce but then again posters can also have influnce and input to how forums and the site is run.
    There's no denying though, that there are some posters (usually the newer ones :)) take what you say a lot more seriously when they see those big bold letters and that custom avatar. You'll often see moderator posts thanked more commonly than a regular users'. I mean, look at my post on the last page, completely ordinary run of the mill post, thanked! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

I may be quite drunk, but it's not about 'power' as sarky says, if anybody does something I don't deem to be in best interests of the forum I'll call them on it, doesn't matter who they are. When I'm sober I'm sure it will be about power :pac:
    It's about helping a site that has given us a lot, and is a very good thing for Ireland.

Yes, it is. And I agree that DeV has a vision which for one I buy into.

But collecting modships like pokecards and doing bugger all with them just cheapens the whole thing imho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    There's no denying though, that there are some posters (usually the newer ones :)) take what you say a lot more seriously when they see those big bold letters and that custom avatar.

Fortunately after a few weeks they cop on and learn that most of us are talking crap most of the time..

Yes, it is. And I agree that DeV has a vision which for one I buy into.

But collecting modships like pokecards and doing bugger all with them just cheapens the whole thing imho.
    I agree.
    As for AH? asked to be removed from there for over a year now I'd guess, in posts and PM :s

You're the Mod pinup girl, that's why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

You're the Mod pinup girl, that's why.
    Heard she was the pinup poster for 2009 in the mod forum

Yup, 2009 AND 2006, although you needed a credit card to see the '06 one.

Stop pming for pix everybody! Not sarky... you may continue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Stop pming for pix everybody! Not sarky... you may continue
    :(:(

Saibh wrote: »
    :(:(
    Tar calandar sent...wait what was this thread about
    /continues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭jawlie

I've read thisi thread with interest. While many say they want to give something back, or contribute, I also notice that many also seem to be the subject of quite a bit of abuse or at least tiresome needling. I am sure the tas is thankless, but sometimes worthwhile too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Because we wanted a shooting forum and if you want something like that, someone has to volunteer and everyone else stepped back faster than I did. And, like the mafia, once you're in...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement