Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why become a moderator at boards.ie?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

jawlie wrote: »
    I've read thisi thread with interest. While many say they want to give something back, or contribute, I also notice that many also seem to be the subject of quite a bit of abuse or at least tiresome needling. I am sure the tas is thankless, but sometimes worthwhile too.

Well, the thing is someone needs to do it and it can't be a paid role if the site is to remain free to use. It's similar to people who run voluntary organisations and so on. Someone has to do it so inevitably someone will step up to the plate and take on the task.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Much like everything, it's a totally individual experience, one that we can't just sum up in a post and no amount of seperate posts from others can really add up to the overall feel it gives as we all think about it in different ways.

You just had to be there

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I agree.
    As for AH? asked to be removed from there for over a year now I'd guess, in posts and PM :s

You're not doing it right.
    You have to throw a hissy fit. Guaranteed demodding within a day.

Note: I can confirm that Tar has indeed asked to be removed from the AH mod list on numerous occasions.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Terry wrote: »
    You're not doing it right.
    You have to throw a hissy fit. Guaranteed demodding within a day.

Note: I can confirm that Tar has indeed asked to be removed from the AH mod list on numerous occasions.

For some reason they keep hanging in.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055746735
    (Clique link):D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

For some reason they keep hanging in.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055746735
    (Clique link):D
    I am no longer part of the clique. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭ConsiderThis

For all the blather, I still think it's probably for the hookers and cocaine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

honest answer: I enjoy posting in forums. Someone has to shape and moderate those forums. Might as well be me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

I imagine to help out the site that doesn't ask a lot in return

This.

Also, as to make contacts for information gathering about Thaed Forget that - just for the being nice thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Be not afraid of modness: some are born mods, some achieve modhood and some have modhood thrust upon them. - (Quote Act II, Scene V) Twelfth Night (whoreing for the Admins).

I'm one of those born to be a moderator. :D

And the super sekret handshake is a real kick to do, in sekret, in the presence of mere lowlife boardsies.

As for all this 'giving stuff back' malarky, meh, thats what subscriptions are for. :rolleyes:

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Jessica-Rabbit

do you get paid to be a mod?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

No.

No.
    then whats the point!!!

then whats the point!!!

To thanks whore and abuse power. And post in locked threads. And ban people for no reason.
    You haven't read the thread have you? It's called "Why become a moderator." Some of the posts before your may help to enlighten you. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

...or to ban people for calling trolls that starts threads "do you like cock?" a gobshyte..

*cough*

*shakes fist*

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

To thanks whore and abuse power. And post in locked threads. And ban people for no reason.
    You haven't read the thread have you? It's called "Why become a moderator." Some of the posts before your may help to enlighten you. :pac:

And the extra rations of sarcasm to dole out liberally amongst the hoi polloi are extra delicious. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

snyper wrote: »
    ...or to ban people for calling trolls that starts threads "do you like cock?" a gobshyte..

*cough*

*shakes fist*

:pac:

That wasn't me was it?
    Was that me?
    Heh

:D

I have read the thread thank you very much.. and I still dont see the point in being a mod.. tbh I have better things to do with my time..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I have read the thread thank you very much.. and I still dont see the point in being a mod.. tbh I have better things to do with my time..

Clearly ;)

Mactard wrote: »
    Clearly ;)
    no need for sarcasm it is after all the lowest form off wit

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

no need for sarcasm it is after all the lowest form off wit

Yeay! cliché! ah you're probably too busy for originality.

• Advertisement

Mactard wrote: »
    Yeay! cliché! ah you're probably too busy for originality.
    What do you mean by that remark..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

fozzle wrote: »
    This.

Also, as to make contacts for information gathering about Thaed Forget that - just for the being nice thing.

That's quiet the crush you seem to be developing.
    then whats the point!!!

Altruism.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Altruism.

Just to point out-

If you think that everything everyone does is purely selfish, that you can't ever do something which doesn't directly benefit yourself immediately, save for the satisfaction of doing it well, the problems with you.

Sorry if that offends some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

then whats the point!!!

I like to help out and maybe give a little something back for all the enjoyment boards has given me over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

What do you mean by that remark..

I have no idea. This sarcasm and irony thing goes right over my head too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

That wasn't me was it?
    Was that me?
    Heh

:D

No, frada.

All i can say to that really is.. now that the motorway is opened last friday from athlone to Galway.. its only 45 mins away for suprise buttsekz.

Joking aside, rules are rules - im long enough on boards now to know better.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I'm curious to know why anyone would want to become a moderator at boards.ie? While I'm obviously grateful to those who have done so, I'm told it's an unpaid position and a pretty thankless task at that. For me, I imagine it would also interrupt the pleasure of boards.

Would any moderators care to comment why they decided to become a moderator?
    I haven't read through the rest of this thread but I assume my position is pretty similar to others. I took up the offer of moderating the Bands & Musicians forum as a way of giving something back to the Boards.ie community which has been helping me to avoid work since 2004 :).

Also, it's not unpaid. There are certain benefits which you'll find out about if/when you become one of us. As for being a thankless task, I certainly don't envy the mods of the Soccer forum. The Bands & Musicians forum is nice and quiet in comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Malice_ wrote: »
    I haven't read through the rest of this thread but I assume my position is pretty similar to others. I took up the offer of moderating the Bands & Musicians forum as a way of giving something back to the Boards.ie community which has been helping me to avoid work since 2004 :).

Also, it's not unpaid. There are certain benefits which you'll find out about if/when you become one of us. As for being a thankless task, I certainly don't envy the mods of the Soccer forum. The Bands & Musicians forum is nice and quiet in comparison.

Speaking of the Bands & Musicians forum... can I kick this suggestion your way?
    Pre-fixes for Bands & Musicians thread suggestion, Development thread

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Speaking of the Bands & Musicians forum... can I kick this suggestion your way?
    Pre-fixes for Bands & Musicians thread suggestion, Development thread
    I tried to address the problem of uninformative thread titles by posting up a template that posters could use. Sadly, I could count the number of times I've seen the template used on the fingers of one hand and that includes the test thread I put up for myself :). From what I've seen of the Bands & Musicians forum, there are a lot of posters who simply post there looking for band members. There's no reason for them to stick around as there are very few discussion threads. As a result there's not much of a community in comparison to other forums.

I reckon that implementing a prefix system might be a whole lot of work for not a whole lot of reward. With that said, I'm not against the idea at all and, if you like, PM me and we can discuss this more.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

We got a prefix system put into one of the poker subforums recently, and it is not much bother from an admin side to implement, and it is handy for looking at threads. IMO though, it should be forced to be used for all threads or else it will be ignored.

Then again, I have never been in that specific forum so don't know what the need for it is, but just thought I'd throw my tuppence'orth in on the topic anyhow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement