Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Fianna Fáil serious?

Options
  • 19-11-2009 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭

http://www.fiannafail.ie/fairplay

A letter of petition is signed by Dara Calleary TD, Minister of State.

I honestly think they are using this football match to distract the public from issues such as the upcoming budget. Actually can't believe this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,333 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

segaBOY wrote: »
    Just got this e-mail from the Fianna Fáil e-mail service.

This is from Dara Calleary TD, Minister of State.

I honestly think they are using this football match to distract the public from issues such as the upcoming budget. Actually can't believe this.
    Are you sure its an official email. <Being an official email would it be ok to post here?>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

Overheal wrote: »
    Are you sure its an official email. <Being an official email would it be ok to post here?>

True

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

This is from Dara Calleary TD, Minister of State.

Minister of State in Department of Trade, Enterprise and Employment.
    I'm sure he can find something else to concentrate on

If I was a Mayo voter I'd be wanting the local minister to get jobs for the area, not focus on this
    We have a Department of Sport for this

mikemac wrote: »
    Minister of State in Department of Trade, Enterprise and Employment.
    I'm sure he can find something else to concentrate on

If I was a Mayo voter I'd be wanting the local minister to get jobs for the area, not focus on this
    We have a Department of Sport for this

It's a pure distraction technique. There is a strike on 24th November and a crippling budget on the way. Typical. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

regardless of the email, I thought they were very quick to jump on the bandwagon today. They were lining up to get on radio and tv to call for a replay. Smells of opportunism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

http://www.fiannafail.ie/fairplay

A letter of petition is signed by Dara Calleary TD, Minister of State.

It a cheap way of FF in getting you email address to harass you with unwanted emails.

Cowan should follow the Fair Play and quit his job and call for elections, That Fair Play!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

clown bag wrote: »
    regardless of the email, I thought they were very quick to jump on the bandwagon today. They were lining up to get on radio and tv to call for a replay. Smells of opportunism.

Everything FF does smells of opportunism, all the time. The only shocking thing about it is people are still shocked by it!

• Registered Users Posts: 83,333 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

http://www.fiannafail.ie/page/s/fairplay

ok, thats just ****ed up.

edit: lol
    Here you have an opportunity to prove there is meaning behind these words and show children all over the world that in football those who cheat will not succeed.
    Wont someone please think of the children!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

It is typical, and disgraceful, that the Minister of "Justice" is going on about a man handling a ball when he is proposing to cut peoples wages and benefits.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

FF against cheating - ROFL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

kbannon wrote: »
    FF against cheating - ROFL

FF doing something the Irish people actually want them to do - ROFL x 2 !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Pure nonsense. No matter how hard done by fans feel by the crap refereeing and the blatant dishonesty of Thierry Henri football should not be an issue in internatonal politics unless you're the government of some banana republic that is..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭blackbetty69

ya haha, this is actually being treated mega seriousy by the government! i mean, for it to be discussed in the dail today is crazy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

Yeah they are

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

ya haha, this is actually being treated mega seriousy by the government! i mean, for it to be discussed in the dail today is crazy!
    ...and to think there was a struggle to get some time to debate NAMA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

According to government figures today, Henry's ball handling is set to push back Ireland's economic recovery by another 18 months.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1119/ireland.html
    Arriving at a summit meeting of EU leaders in Brussels, Brian Cowen said he agreed with calls for a replay since, 'fair play is a fundamental part of the game.'

He said he would be discussing the matter with the French President Nicholas Sarkozy on the margins of the summit although he did not want 'to raise it to high diplomatic status.'

However, as a football row becomes political, French Prime Minister Francois Fillon responded by saying that the Irish government 'should not interfere' in footballing decisions.

What are they playing (pun not intended) at? We are in economic turmoil, why are they trying to make us an even bigger joke in Europe by focusing on football? I watched the match too, bad and all as it was no need for the Government to get invovled!

Reminds me of the time Bertie Ahern offered to be mediator in the FAI-v-Roy Keane Saipan debacle, it's like a couple of lads down the pub are running this country sometimes.

it's like a couple of lads down the pub are running this country sometimes.

In fairness, there's a few women in the pub government too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

I can actually understand AND get behind tihs.

Ireland being in the World Cup would be great for the economy. The amount of people who would go out this summer, buy FAI jerseys, people buying full HD tvs to make sure they can watch the match at home not to mention the loads who would travel out to SA being a boost for the airlines (and the new departure tax).

It also has the added benefit that it does take the eye off the government for a while and sure it's good for their popularity and to save face. Nothing will likely come of this but at least they can say that they tried when the next election comes around. If Ireland were to qualify it would be great for the whole nation, not just Fianna Fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭cm2000

good way of getting a mailing list is all it is

• Advertisement

Brimmy wrote: »
    I can actually understand AND get behind tihs.

Ireland being in the World Cup would be great for the economy. The amount of people who would go out this summer, buy FAI jerseys, people buying full HD tvs to make sure they can watch the match at home not to mention the loads who would travel out to SA being a boost for the airlines (and the new departure tax).

This is all very well, but mainstream politics have NO place in football. International football has it's own governing body, FIFA and FIFA's rules govern the rules of international football.

In FIFA's Laws of the Game 2005, Law 12 says a free-kick or penalty will be awarded if a player "handles the ball deliberately" and that "a caution or dismissal is not normally required."

There was no "cheating" involved in the game - a player simply broke a footballing rule which wasn't spotted by the officials. If he had, it would have been treated by FIFA's rules as simply a minor offence.

The fact that this has come into the political arena is quite simply absurd. The Irish government should be sorting out unemployment, the banks, teh economy etc., etc., & not making ridiculous comments on sporting events especially when they are completely uninformed as to the rules that govern these games & are simply jumping on a media bandwagon that began with an over the top statement that started with a comment by Jim Beglin on the RTE commentary after last night's game.

What really riled me today was Minister for Justice, Dermot Ahern's comment, that "it reinforces the view that if you cheat, you will win." Well, you could say that about the bank officials that f***** us over & who are still on the boards of the banks today, you could say that about the developers who borrowed huge amounts that they will never have to re-pay etc., etc.,

You COULD, but as a government minister who held their hands as they led us up the path that brought us to Swanny Creek, you WON'T, because honesty & justice has no place in Irish politics these days.

Did Henry cheat the Irish footballers & supporters. No. He broke a rule & he wasn't caught. Did the golden circle cheat the Irish public? Yes. Were they caught.. in a manner of speaking. Will they be punished? Will they ***.

Politicians need to sort their own sh*t out & stay the hell out of where they are neither required or wanted. It's bad enough having to see Biffo drooling over himself when the national team play a home game. Please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

Dear Mr. Blatter,

I, along with millions of viewers last night, watched France cheat their way to the World Cup.

The blatant handball and subsequent admission from Thierry Henry, the French captain, that his handling of the ball led to the goal, which knocked Ireland out of the competition, is a travesty for the highest ideals the World Cup represents. (this sentences is a travesty for the highest ideals syntax represents)

Thereforecomma I’m calling on you to hold a onehyphenoff play-off for the final slot to the World Cup between Ireland and France at a neutral venue.

It’s the least we owe the thousands of devastated young fans around Ireland. For the dignity and integrity of football a replay must be played.I thought you wanted a one-off playoff, but now you want the second leg to be replayed?

You have been often quoted in the past about FIFA’s role in ensuring fair play and proper sportsmanship. Here you have an opportunity to prove there is meaning behind those words and show children all over the world that in football those who cheat will not succeed.

Yours sincerely,

Dara Calleary TD, Minister of State

Can't even write a simple letter. And it'd be OK if he was whiling away a few years in Arts-Culture-Gaeltacht-Islands or whatever it's called now, but he's in Enterprise, Trade & Employment during the Irish economy's worst state in decades!

Regardless of the bad grammar - what grounds does he have for even calling for a re-play? If he thinks he does, he doesn't understand the rules of football. And as for the "think of the children" line... well, when you're off setting up NAMA, I'd hope that he affords them the same benefit.

AAAAAAAGHHHHH! I'm more furious at this sh*t than I am at the result of last night's game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

This is all very well, but mainstream politics have NO place in football. International football has it's own governing body, FIFA and FIFA's rules govern the rules of international football.

In FIFA's Laws of the Game 2005, Law 12 says a free-kick or penalty will be awarded if a player "handles the ball deliberately" and that "a caution or dismissal is not normally required."

There was no "cheating" involved in the game - a player simply broke a footballing rule which wasn't spotted by the officials. If he had, it would have been treated by FIFA's rules as simply a minor offence.

Why must you lie - both on this thread and the AH one?

I decided to call you up on your assertion that it is a minor offence and a caution is normally not given.

Here is the rulebook from fifa.com:
    http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/federation/81/42/36/lawsofthegameen.pdf

page 113
    Disciplinary sanctions
    There are circumstances when a caution for unsporting behaviour is required
    when a player deliberately handles the ball, e.g. when a player:
    • deliberately and blatantly handles the ball to prevent an opponent gaining
    possession
    • attempts to score a goal by deliberately handling the ball
    A player is sent off, however, if he prevents a goal or an obvious goal-scoring
    opportunity by deliberately handling the ball. This punishment arises not from
    the act of the player deliberately handling the ball but from the unacceptable
    and unfair intervention that prevented a goal being scored.

Seems like a caution is required at the very least for "unsporting behaviour" for deliberate handling of the ball with intent.

Next time before you rant, please have a proper read of the rules of the game.

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Why must you lie - both on this thread and the AH one?

I decided to call you up on your assertion that it is a minor offence and a caution is normally not given.

Here is the rulebook from fifa.com:
    http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/federation/81/42/36/lawsofthegameen.pdf

page 113

Seems like a caution is required at the very least for "unsporting behaviour" for deliberate handling of the ball with intent.

Next time before you rant, please have a proper read of the rules of the game.

Either way, it doesn't over-rule the rule that the referee's decison is final (unless the rules were not correctly applied, which in this case they were).

And again, either way, the Irish government have no place in this debate, which, is the subject of the debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

I like the disclaimer at the end tbh, sums it all up.
    By signing up, you agree to receive occasional email from the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Who the fcuk is Dara Calleary :confused: I can honestly say I have never heard of him untill this stunt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Everything FF does smells of urine, all the time. The only shocking thing about it is people are still shocked by it!
    Fixed that for ye

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭BennyLava

Here's a link for Dara, for all those who might like to let him know what they think of Fianna Fail commenting on Fair Play

http://www.fiannafail.ie/people/contact/dara-calleary/

They'll jump on any bandwagon they can at this stage, honestly I wouldn't be surprised if some FF'er turned up in Mullingar to get Joe Dolan canonized, if it would get them a vote
    It's a fu@king embarrassment that our government is getting involved in this,

and as for those supposed to be protesting at the French embassy today
    I want to apologize to the French people for them, they do not represent most Irish people,

It's a football match, we would have done the same thing in the same situation, anyone who thinks different is kidding themselves

Advertisement