Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wollongong, New South Wales.

Options
  • 19-11-2009 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone, im spending a semester abroad in the University of Wollongong next february. I was just wondering what the town/city is like, what is the area like etc. Im sorry if those questions are a bit vague, but i would like to know more about the place. Im really excited :D

LD

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 middlemisss

hey , i know it well enough , its a city probably population wise the size of limerick maybe bigger , scenery wise its a lot prettier!
    a long stretch of a city between the sea and the hills ( the escarpment ).
    loads of nice uncrowded beaches.
    an hour and a half from sydney if needed.
    i wouldnt say its a crazy town for bars or nitelife but it does have a few bars and clubs , not too many mind- would defo be quieter in that respect than sydney.
    generally a relaxed pace , with a beach lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Its a great place. Most of my friends went there. Very relaxed, not a busy place like Sydney at all.
    Quite close to some of the South Coast beaches and lots of National Park around there.
    Near enough to Kiama as well.
    I am from the (Sutherland) Shire originally, and since Wollongong is south as well its easy to get to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Thanks for the comments guys, I cant wait to get there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

as a matter of interest what you studying? I hear wollongong is fantastic for IT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

myhorse wrote: »
    as a matter of interest what you studying? I hear wollongong is fantastic for IT

Well the course im doing in DCU is environmental science & health, so im picking subjetcs in UOW that are fairly relative to that, im doing subjects like climatology, environmental change, oceanography....stuff like that!

Any other stuff i should know about wollongong ?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Any other stuff i should know about wollongong ?!

Dont try to cycle up Mt Ousley unless you are really fit.

February is HOT.

Stay away from the other travelling Irish, try to get a proper taste of Australia. Wollongong is the perfect place for it.
    A weekend in Mollymook is a must if the weather is hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭cormaclynch

@limerickdude.

I spent 2 semesters of Uni in Wollongong in 2002-2003.......It's f*&king class! Best year of my life. Its a medium size town with a big University and everyone gets to know you. We were the only 4 Irish guys at the University so we were quite well known round campus. Bars in town are good too. The glasshouse on a wed night is student night followed by Rustys.

Cooneys is an Irish bar there to go to at the weekend. Not very Irish mind you but still good craic. Going to Toss the Boss is a good idea down at the North Gong hotel. Basically roll dice for your drinks and you've a chance of free, half price or full price drinks.

The beaches in the gong are great too. great surfing and swimming, though proably bit too big for a beginner surfer.

Dont know what else to tell you apart from its brilliant and you'll love it and only an hour from Sydney. WE used to go to Sydney on a sun night for the gaelic and to save money on accomodation stay out drinking until 5 when we got the first train home on mon morning....a real pretty sight:)

pm me or reply if you've any questions

Advertisement