Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

has fine gael become finna fails saviour

Options
  • 19-11-2009 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭

with george lee in montrose, some real questions were being thrown about, even some one with a low iq (like my self before you say so) could understand it all.
    now george is gagged in kildare street and i.m.o finna fail are sleeping easily, carboard cut out enda is mumbling away, f.g. think they only have to walk into goverment, this is not the case, f.f. have an uncanny way of turning things around, look at how many elections they have lost, me thinks the applause in f.f. at georges election must have been ear shattering, a major thorn plucked painlessly from their side.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I think Fine Gael have been bold enough in many fields - the abolition of the Seanad is long overdue, plus the reduction in the size of the Dail are welcome policies. Richard Bruton is a clever guy who will do a good job in Finance ( I dont understand people moaning about Kenny - Richard Bruton is best employed in the Dept of Finance, not leading the country). George Lee is best employed energising the base - he should be touring the country doing local meetings, town halls to nod and agree with tales of woe and lend his image to the local FG candidates so that local base is inspired. They should keep him away from the national media circuit because reporters are always going to love the chance to show up Lee now that he has to stick to a party line. FG have always tended to be their own worst enemies - they always backed off when there was blood in the water for Bertie, always jumped in when he was bulletproof.

I think the big electoral millstone around Fine Gaels neck is Labour. Joan Burton is not someone I would want anywhere near the levers of power. Gilmore can talk the talk, but again hes not a guy I could ever see taking hard decisions against the unions - and make no mistake about it, facing down the unions is the critical challenge facing Irish government over the next 10 years.

People need to decide who runs the country - the elected politicians or David Begg and Jack O Connor. Labour are utterly wedded idealogically and practically to the unions, but theyre going to be important electorally in the makeup of the next government (the biggest shift in Fianna Fail support could be from the 300K public sector votes bought with benchmarking away from Fianna Fail and back "home" to Labour). Hence Labour will act as a brake on what steps need to be taken practically to get the country on the right path. But FG will still need them, leading to a bi-polar government.

Thats the main challenge facing FG - convincing people that they can lead the country whilst dragging along the ball and chain of Labour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Sand wrote: »
    (the biggest shift in Fianna Fail support could be from the 300K public sector votes bought with benchmarking away from Fianna Fail and back "home" to Labour).

that's a very big assumption to make on both counts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Fine Gael was always Fianna Fails saviour.

Enda couldn't debate his way out of a paper bag. His mock outrage when giving speeches is just laughable.

They had the goods on Bertie and point blank refused to go after him.

I just don't get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

dresden8 wrote: »
    Fine Gael was always Fianna Fails saviour.

Enda couldn't debate his way out of a paper bag. His mock outrage when giving speeches is just laughable.

They had the goods on Bertie and point blank refused to go after him.

I just don't get it.

Maybe they didn't want to be in power when the wheels came off the wagon? First sign of a recovery and they'll go for the jugular :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Absurdum wrote: »
    Maybe they didn't want to be in power when the wheels came off the wagon? First sign of a recovery and they'll go for the jugular :pac:

They aren't that smart. FF didn't want to see the crash coming and neither did FG.

• Advertisement
Advertisement