Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

used car dealer

• 19-11-2009 9:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

can a car dealer change his mind and get his car back or look for more money after he has made the deal because he said he would have to have the car that i traded in re sprayed yet he checked the car said it was fine we signed the paperwork he excepted my money and my trade in ? :eek:

i signed the transfer of ownership and he is supposed to send it to vehical regestration but he has said he is holding the regestration ? what do i do

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

If you signed a contract and you have a receipt for the money you paid then no, he can't turn around and ask for more money or your new car back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

Have you signed any thing ? Got the new car etc in that case i would nt worry about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Have that car thoroughly checked out independently. I smell a big rat:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to the Motors forum - you'll get better advice there.

Long story short, if you have paid and you have a receipt then the new car is yours and the old car is his.

Have you received or signed the transfer of ownership for both cars?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Were they SIMI registered - I know that this means little - but do you have the green receipt an SIMI dealer would give you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

If he is withholding the VLC of the new car after you have paid for it, taken possession of it and handed over your trade in, then I would go straight to the Gardai if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Michael 09

Nothing he can do... deal has been done and is a legally binding contract upon the transfer of money.

PM me what garage it was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Without having the full facts it is difficult to give advice here.

OP did the dealer ask you initially if the car was previously crashed or repaired? If so did you answer the question honestly?

If you did sign a SIMI invoice/purchase form it has a section on it where this question is asking so imo the dealer may well be within his right to demand more money or pull out of the deal if you were not up front about the respray as a crash repaired car is worth less than one that hasn't been.

Again this is only my take on the limited information given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 williammoran

bazz26 wrote: »
    Without having the full facts it is difficult to give advice here.

OP did the dealer ask you initially if the car was previously crashed or repaired? If so did you answer the question honestly?

If you did sign a SIMI invoice/purchase form it has a section on it where this question is asking so imo the dealer may well be within his right to demand more money or pull out of the deal if you were not up front about the respray as a crash repaired car is worth less than one that hasn't been.

Again this is only my take on the limited information given.

no crash no respray the only thing that was don to the car was the plastic bumpers touched up for scrapes and a few scratches touched up on the drivers side never any dints that had to be repaired

cheers willie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

can a car dealer change his mind and get his car back or look for more money
    What do you think the dealer would do if the shoe was on the other foot, and you 'changed your mind' after buying a car?

That's right, he would politely (or not) tell you where to go.

I suggest you do the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭patmartino

talk to the gardai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Have a look at the small print,
    however you have made a contract with him once you paid over the money, he is now in breach of the contract and keeps this up get the gardai and a solicitor onto him.
    If not ring him up and say ok deal is off give me back my money and my old car see what happens!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

i would go to the motor tax office and show them the receipt for the car and tell them the log book is lost and apply for a new one in your name.
    the receipt will be in your name and detail the car reg an details, then the full control is back in your court, the dealer cannot do anything then with the VLC as the owner details will be wrong on it!

the above is my option, it may not be actaully possible to do, but may be worth a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭TimAllen

If you live in an area where they issue parking fines (rather than clamps), then park the car to deliberately get a ticket - then present the ticket to him as he is still the owner of the car - tell him there's plenty more where that came from - see if he still wants to be the registered owner then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

TimAllen wrote: »
    If you live in an area where they issue parking fines (rather than clamps), then park the car to deliberately get a ticket - then present the ticket to him as he is still the owner of the car - tell him there's plenty more where that came from - see if he still wants to be the registered owner then!

This is actually LOL :D

Briliant idea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

TimAllen wrote: »
    All fun and games until he sends in the form with a date after the fines on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Anan1 wrote: »
    All fun and games until he sends in the form with a date after the fines on it.
    Sounds like it'd still be fun and games;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Sounds like it'd still be fun and games;)

Silly me!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I would say there is more to this.
    Anyone in the car trade would know from having a quick look around a car what needs to be done to get it sold again. They are not exactly giving great money for any car on trade in anyway. So I think, the dealer is either taking you for a fool who might part with some extra money or there is some issue with the new car and he wants it back without disclosing this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

Possession is 9 tenths of the law (or at least it used to be...
    If you have the new car, and a copy of the contract, there is nothing he can do about it. Legal advice may be required.

he said he would have to have the car that i traded in re sprayed yet he checked the car said it was fine

Note to all: never ever buy a car in the dark :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement